Thanks Thanks:  0
    ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Exclamation Two-thirds of Americans support TV executions

sick country, indeed...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4353934/
    Crime & Punishment

Two-thirds of Americans support TV executions
    Most would pay to watch Osama bin Laden put to death MSNBC staff and news service reports

Updated: 3:58 p.m. ET Feb. 23, 2004

NEW YORK - Two-thirds of Americans polled last month said they support the idea of televising executions — and 21 percent said they’d pay to watch Osama bin Laden put to death.

Eleven percent said they would pay to see Saddam Hussein executed.

A national telephone poll of more than 1,000 people aged 18 or older, done for Trio cable network by Harris Interactive, asked respondents who they would most likely pay to watch executed if executions were shown on pay-per-view television.

Bin Laden, accused of masterminding the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States, was named by 21 percent of those polled. Former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein was named by 11 percent.

Thirty-seven percent of those polled said they did not think executions should be televised. And 54 percent said they wouldn’t watch an execution on television.

Harris Interactive interviewed 1,017 Americans aged 18 or older at random Jan. 24-26. The margin of error for the sample is plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

© 2004 MSNBC Interactive

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits
    Zubi, don't be so naive. I don't think that 1000 people represent the whole of the countries population. Even those 1000 might be smart or stupid. I can say the same thing about Slovenians being scared and having no guts to stand up for itself during it's communism dictatorship for 40 years. Do I assume that all of the population are mindless being for not standing up for themselves? Slovenia could not do anything for itself until outside interference had to step in to change the country (like the U.N. did). Perhaps it was cowardly in the past but that does not justify them being now. The Government is getting stronger each time & in economy.
    Again I say, I don't think that 1000 people represent the majority intelligence of the country. The media could of picked out the lesser intelligent people of a country and make them a statistic on basis of a whole country. Could get 1000 drug addicted people from Slovenia and interview them and come out with, "Slovenia population do not care about their country and nine tenths of the population are drug addicts.

But, this is a step towards the movie Starship Troopers with TV & Internet mixing and public executions.
    Do you want to know more?

Credits
    Careful, Frequency. I know it's the facts, but it's uneasy ground. And ZUBi (see, I got it right!) is mod ya know.
    Back on topic, the test must of been taken in a prison, because only some sort of a sick, twisted mind would watch a REAL killing, live or not. Film is a different matter, because they don't ACTUALLY happen (though that could be argued with based-on-a-true-story films), but if someone watches a film to see the death repeatedly (as in rewinding) I'd still class as being fairly twisted. The only time it is acceptable is in Executive Decision (cause everyone hates Mr. Seagal).
    Do want to know more?

Credits
    Originally posted by I Got Trailers
    Film is a different matter, because they don't ACTUALLY happen
    Boy, go and watch JFK before you say that. They do actually show, actual, real footage of the guy getting shot dead. The rule is that you are allowed to show people being killed in a film, so long as said death scene is not there for entertainment purposes. Sort of puts my snuff franchise on hold then.

Credits
    sick country you say?

ZUBi.. i see ur frickin point! don't need to make number of threads to make it
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits

Lightbulb

Originally posted by radstar
    sick country you say? ZUBi.. i see ur frickin point! don't need to make number of threads to make it
    YOUR GOVERNMENT IS SICK !

HAPPY NOW ?!

Credits
    you can post the article but the comment was unnecessary, if you really think about it just consider the purpose of ANY justice system in the world. Public executions aren't entertainment.

Credits
    Originally posted by Jake
    you can post the article but the comment was unnecessary
    yeah, I know. She provoke Me

Credits
    I mean the first comment

Credits
    Originally posted by Frequency
    Zubi, don't be so naive. I don't think that 1000 people represent the whole of the countries population. Even those 1000 might be smart or stupid.
    Originally posted by ZUBi
    Harris Interactive interviewed 1,017 Americans aged 18 or older at random
    1000 ppl is a pretty standard number for polls. Atleast in US and Sweden. Its a big enough number to give a pretty accuret picture of the populations overall oppinion. Atleast if the 1000 are selected at random, which i think we can hope they are.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan