Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Wink My thoughts on "Punisher"

Good lord! I just have to flat out say that Lions Gate surely screwed the pooch on marketing their (Well, Artisans') film with that last trailer. I walked in...knowing that I would enjoy the film, but came out completely thrilled! First off, this is a classic action movie, right out of the 80's-90's era. The kind of action film done right! The same feeling I had when I came out of the theater after experiencing Kill Bill Vol. 1, is the same feeling I had when I got out of this one. Even though I was expecting something, I got a whole lot more out of it.

First off, the most surprising thing was the films' score. I was expecting maybe two tracks in the film, and then the rest is muffled with songs from the damn Soundtrack. Boy, was I in for a shock when I heard a classic Militeristic/War Drama melody play throughout the film. Kudos to Director Hensliegh on sticking to an actual Score, as opposed to littering the film with junk! The only times you hear songs off the soundtrack is in scenes where they are suited, and the only ones I recall played are the "Broken" track, as well as the track used in the final trailer (For the end credits). Mark COllie's "In Time" is also the centerpiece in the film, and drew great cheer from the audience!

Next, the acting. Wow, Thomas Jane....boy does he deliver! I ask any person after watching this movie to try and convince me that he wasn't serious in this role...sticking to the character in the comics! Fantastic! And to all you Travolta haters (I really don't know what's wrong with you), you still might hate him here...but I think he did a terrific job of playing Howard Saint. He litterally fills the screen with this power that just doesn't leave you alone. Him losing his mind near the end of the film really seems justified too, and shows how much of a psycho he really is! The rest of the cast is fantastic. I really thought it was odd when they cast Rebecca Stamos as Joan "The Mouse"...but she showed me that she can really act, and I was pleased. The people chosen for Spacker Dave & Bumpo were excellent as well.

Oh man!!! What a line-up for the bad guys! Will Patton as Quentin Glass just seemed to perfectly fit in the role! I really want to look out for this guy. Mark Collie (in his short, but sweet role) also shows that he's got screen power. And, even Kevin Nash does a good job of playing a character that really has almost nothing going for him, but is a memorable part of the film.

The overall feeling of the film is quite realistic. Again, great part on Hensliegh for NOT using a bit of CGI in the film. The movie is quite realistic in feel, and even some of the over-the-top action seems based in reality...so nothing feels too "fake". Man, that souped up GTO was really something too! The violence is also there, which was something I was worried about. In today's "PC-friendly" world, I was thinking that we wouldn't have justice in this movie. Boy, was I wrong! Stabbing, shooting, explosions, car crashes, you name it...they got it. The audience jumped out of their seats, and cheered in delight when they saw these people getting what they deserved. There were even some great moments near the end, which actually had some people squeling in their seats. Heh, classic fashion for me.

The writing was very well done as well. The film was very consistant in it’s direction, and doesn’t stray off. Very good attention to detail was taken as well. Early on in the film, Frank Castle gets his hand wounded, and throughout the film, you can see his fingers/nails still healing. As well, the many times that Frank “Punisher” gets hurt, you see the after effects. And, he does get hurt plenty in the film! It’s not one of those “Don’t scratch me…I’m the hero” type of film.

Oh man, I can go on and on about this for hours, but I’ll stop here. I’ll just say that people will be in for quite a surprise when they see this movie! I was, and I’m a fan myself! So, after you all go see Kill Bill Vol. 2 this weekend, don’t forget about this one as well!

--Dan

Credits
    Also, forgot to mention…after the film was over, the audience gave it a standing ovation! Whoa…that certainly surprised me. In addition, the theater I went to gave out everyone a copy of Spider-Man Issue #129, which of course is the debut of The Punisher in comics. Thought that was a nice touch. Do yourself a favor, and go see this movie!

--Dan

Credits
    Do you like a movie like me would enjoy a girl like that??
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    Man, I'm pumped now.....lots of great reviews I'm hearing.
    Gypsy

Credits
    This movie is so underrated! I just got back from seeing it and I am very happy. This has been an excellent weekend for films with Kill Bill and the Punisher being released on the greatest movie weekend of the year!!
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

Credits
    When I went to see it this kid at the counter asked for ID, I told him that my beard is older then him and he got mad at me. Good story huh
    Sgt. Johnny Beaufort: He says, "The Apaches are a great race," sir. "They've never been conquered. But it is not well for a nation to be always at war. The young men die... the women sing sad songs... and the old ones are hungry in the winter."
    Fort Apache

Credits
    ya, i will surely be seeing it now. after reading some bad reviews at joblo, i thought it ain't good, but wow, everyone here at my fav. forum likes it, so i will definitely watch it soon!