Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Andy Kaufman - 20 years

it was 3 days ago... but nobody mention...

NEW YORK -- Andy Kaufman died of lung cancer on May 16, 1984, but according to legend, the eccentric comedian said if he were faking, he'd resurface 20 years later to the day.
    Kaufman

Kaufman was best known as the lovable foreign-car mechanic Latka Gravas on the '70s TV sitcom Taxi.
    and we all remember great Jim Carry movie about him...

So, just in case, a party is being planned by Bob Zmuda, Kaufman's best friend and partner, at the House of Blues in Los Angeles on May 16.

"Over 100 personal ads will be taken out across the country and abroad, reminding him of his words. Will he show?" Zmuda asked on the Web site for Comic Relief, a series of shows that raise money for health care for the homeless. Zmuda founded Comic Relief after Kaufman's death.

VIP tickets to the Andy Kaufman -- Dead or Alive? tribute offer "select seating and celebrity reception (hopefully with Andy)."

The tribute also promises a performance by Las Vegas lounge lizard Tony Clifton, one of Kaufman's characters.
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!
    [My Top 20 Movies @ YMDB] [My Bottom 20 Movies @ YMDB]

Credits
    I liked the movie. I think he's funny. Even though it wuz Jim Carrey acting him. Andy seems like a fake type of person. I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up.
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    great news guys

most unexpected turn

Andy Kaufman truly is alive!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...234/726q1.html

New York City, NY (PRWEB) May 19, 2004 -- Twenty years ago, on May 16, 1984, most of the world believed that we had lost a comedic legend forever. This has turned out to be what will inevitably be known as the greatest comic prank ever conceived. Andy Kaufman, by all accounts, is alive and well at age 55 and is now living in New York City on the upper west side. To his loyal supporters and fans, Andy says "sorry about faking my death," in a recent interview with ABC News at his apartment. In order to reach legendary comic status and seal his place in the history of performance art, he said it was "necessary to go away for twenty years."

Andy Kaufman's official site has been launched at:
    http://andykaufmanreturns.blogspot.com/

Even though he has technically returned, Andy says that he plans to maintain his low key lifestyle that he has led for the past twenty years. He has resumed contact with friends and family. Fearing the possibility of this scenario and the potential for another hoax, Kaufman's family has contracted with independent auditors Ernst & Young to determine if this in fact the real Andy Kaufman. He has subjected himself to medical examination and submitted DNA, hair, blood and fingerprint samples to the auditors. Ernst & Young and the Kaufman family report that with a 99% probability, this is indeed the real Andy Kaufman. His mother says, "It's good to have Andy back."

In 1999, a new crop of Kaufman fans were born after Jim Carrey starred in the hit film Man on the Moon. "Andy's bizarre mix of comedy and performance art will inspire fans and comedians alike for generations, especially after this stunt," says Jim Carrey.

Andy says he will make only occasional public appearances, sometimes in disguise so that you won?t know if it?s really him or someone else. Kaufman was famous for pulling this stunt with the Tony Clifton character, sometimes played by good friend Bob Zmuda.

Andy says fans should tune into his website for ongoing updates to his adventures in life. As always, Andy's stage has been the world, testing the boundaries of our beliefs, our sources of information, and our perception of reality. "It's good to be back," Andy writes on his website.

Credits
    WHOA! That's freakin awesome.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    but i saw on another zap2it news article saying it was another hoax

so i dunno

meh heads about to go BOOM!

Credits
    Everybody, IT IS A HOAX.

Read here:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/kaufman.asp

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Strube
    Everybody, IT IS A HOAX.

Read here:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/kaufman.asp
    Did anybody really think otherwise. If there was even the remotest chance that this had been real then there would have been news reports worldwide following the investigation. Dunno about the states, but if it weren't for the internet I wouldn't have heard a thing.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by carl
    Did anybody really think otherwise.
    Seems like some people here did. Thought I'd clear things up.

Credits
    I kinda believed it but I had a feeling it would be a hoax. Like it said.. it would've been all over the news and the world. It would've been super awesome if it were true. But now I know for true.. thanks to mark strube