Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Finally happened, my top 10 of 2003

OK so it's June already and we're kind of half way through the year. A bit late to be doing a top 10 list of 2003 you might say, but hey I don't believe in rushing into these things. I try to see a lot of films and believe me when I tell you that I enjoy the really great ones, so of course I wanted to make sure that I had seen as many of the really great films before making this list. So now here I go, and you're going to be disappointed aren't you? No seriously after this long a wait how could I possibly live up? Not all of these films are going to be what you expect, and; damn I should have learned from Lucas's mistake! Well here goes nothing.
    <b>Special Mention</b>

11-<a href="http://www.epinions.com/content_119069314692"><b>X2</b></a>
    Sorry about breaking the rules and all but X2 really is my #11 film of last year and I loved it just too much to completely abandon. Everyone's favorite characters are brought alive in a film that finally has the budget to recreate the X-Men comics. Hugh Jackman's Wolverine was brimming over with not so suppressed rage, Knightcrawler was finally as cool as he was when I read him in the comics (<i>All one times that he appeared when I was reading it</i>) and 3 of the years best action sequences. All that without going into Magneto's supremely cool escape scene; in fact without Halle Berry this film may have warranted more than a special mention.

<b>Get on with it you high brow moron!!!</b>

10-<b>Finding Nemo</b>
    What do you know but this is the second year in a row that Disney has scored a spot on this list (<i>See Lilo And Stitch</i>) and this time it's with a film that deserves to rank among the best things done by either Disney or Pixar. What can I say but I've watched this at least 10 times in the last month (<i>only PG films alowed on at work</i>) and I've yet to tire of the classic characters of Dory and Crush. Fantastic voice acting, vibrant colors and some of the funniest comedy in history. Oh and anyone tries to disrespect the "Mine" Gulls will have to answer to me!

09-<b>Matchstick Men</b>
    Call me a sucker but if there's one thing I always like it's a good heist movie. Matchstick Men just happens to be a very good heist movie with a difference. This time you get Nic Cage playing a thief whose partner puts him in touch with a psychiatrist that helps him contact his daughter. Only difference is that this time we have no idea who old nick is supposed to be scamming; is it the psychiatrist, the daughter, maybe even the partner. I've seen them all and yet still couldn't figure out the answers in Matchstick Men. Terrific acting from the talented cast and some sharp writing makes Matchstick Men a worthy contender.

08-<b>Confidence</b>
    Another day another heist movie, and what a heist movie. Forget your Italian Job's because <b>Confidence</b> is the real deal in terms of heist movie cool. A perfect soundtrack, some supremely cool cinematography and some of the most confident acting ever. Edward Burns, Rachel Weisz, Louis Lombardi, Paul Giamatti and Dustin Hoffman carry the many twists and turns of the years coolest movie.

07-<a href="http://www.epinions.com/content_131288960644"><b>Lost In Translation</b></a>
    Hey guys shut up, I've heard it all before. "Lost In Translation was so boring. It was slow and pointless and bla bla bla." Needless to say anybody claiming that has got to be wrong. Lost in Translation is far from boring; and trust me I'm not afraid to admit when a boring high brow film is boring, it's simply not your usual bang bang bang type of movie. Yes the changing of underwear is a big deal in the film, and that is because it represents a major deal for a main character in a character study that actually takes the time to study its characters. Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson give 2 of the years best performances and there's even a little politically incorrect humor for those who don't appreciate the art.

06-<a href="http://www.epinions.com/content_129793035908"><b>Whale Rider</b></a>
    A film about the coming together of the younger and older generations, but a film that somehow gets confused with feminism. Whale Rider is simply a marvelously layered film that examines it's themes while keeping the cinematography strong and natural. The New Zealand backdrop is stunning and the acting from its cast phenomenal. Particularly Keisha Castle-Hughes who is the youngest star to be nominated for the best actress award. Definitely a tear jerker.

05-<b>Girl With A Pearl Earring</b>
    I've got to be honest and admit that I never had particularly high expectations for this film, seeing as how I knew so very little about it. However the review by <a href="http://www.epinions.com/content_121324932740">Penguinlady</a> was enough to convince me to use up a free rental on it. Am I glad that I did too as the film's cinematography constantly recreates the look of histories classic paintings to tell a fictionalized story as to how one of histories greatest paintings actually comes about. Scarlett Johansson again stars in another film that skews the Hollywood interpretations of love for the sake of examining infatuation based on a mans eye for artistic beauty, intensified by the subjects own appreciation for the artistic beauty in nature. Once again she, along with co-star Colin Firth, gives a spectacular performance.

04-<a href="http://www.epinions.com/content_138956672644"><b>The Last Samurai</b></a>
    Being a fan of the films by Akira Kurosoawa I've obviously become interested in samurai movies. Edward Zwick's The Last Samurai lived up to that fan hood. Historical inaccuracies aside the perfect cinematography, emotional soundtrack, amazing acting and brutal battles helped the film to rate high on this list based on its style alone.

03-<b>Elephant</b>
    Watched it last night and after waiting for such a long time I loved it. OK so I was a little disappointed by the cardboard characters, but as a simple look into the shocking events of the Columbine high school it was powerful stuff. You wont know anything about any of the characters, and what you witness from most of them you wont believe, but the realistic cinematography and perfect use of the peaceful suddenly becoming threatening tone of that classical music where the title slips my mind has resulted in an undeniably powerful peace of cinema.

02-<b>American Splendor</b>
    I thoroughly enjoyed this film based on the series of underground comic books American Splendor. The comics are simply a non glorified account of the daily life of author Harvey Pekar, and this film is the film version of that comic. Completely unblemished by the usual overly dramatized standards of Hollywood the film gets by on Harvey's philosophy that life is pretty complex stuff. Witness him getting through loneliness, trying to sustain his relationship with his wife and battle cancer in an unglorified way. Paul Giamatti perfectly captures the bitter self loathing of Harvey Pekar, and his supporting cast are all equally perfect. Plus when you witness the cinematography you'll think you're seeing a comic book come to life. Quirky humor and bitter writing abound in the years most unique film.

01-<a href="http://www.epinions.com/content_114578329220"><b>Spirited Away</b></a>
    OK so this is technically a 2002 film, but since it took a whole year to reach these shores, and since most Americans have no problems including 28 Days Later on their's, then I'm going to include it anyway. Miyazaki is quite possibly the greatest director of animated movies in history and this was a classic example of his work. Superb animation, breathtaking scenes and a non stop sense of artistic beauty drive the film. Strong characters with great voice acting; even in the English translation, add up to making this layered film my favorite of the year. Anime or not, foreign or not, it still deserves this spot!

There you go, I command you to go watch all of these amazing films. Then once you've had the pleasure of witnessing the best you should head over to the flip side of the coin for <a href="http://www.epinions.com/content_3871580292">The 10 Worst Films Of 2003</a>!

Credits
    I agree with you are Matchstick Men. That was my best loved favourite of the year.

Credits

yup going to have to agree on Matchstick Men loved the movie

Credits
    yeah i guess i agree with Matchstick Men for sure but as for the rest... I don't know about the rest...

Credits
    christ. another "best of" list

do you know how many films came out that year? a lot and i've seen most of them. now you pick 10 of the most mainstream ones. some are not that mainstream, but wow. those are not that good compared to what i've seen.

Credits
    omg
    Im sure the guy knows how many movies come out a year, but do you see how it says "...MY top ten..." as in his own personal opinion on what were the best films?
    This is turning into a "IMDB Im right your wrong" forum everyday.
    Sgt. Johnny Beaufort: He says, "The Apaches are a great race," sir. "They've never been conquered. But it is not well for a nation to be always at war. The young men die... the women sing sad songs... and the old ones are hungry in the winter."
    Fort Apache

Credits
    I am the only one who thinks Hund's post is slightly egotistical?

Credits
    Im with you on that IGT

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkmanSIX
    omg
    This is turning into a "IMDB Im right your wrong" forum everyday.
    no...i don't think so. we have a good bunch of core users that are like on big family here. a few fights here and there. sibling rivalry, nothing more.

but then you have a few people that come in...and think they know all there is to know about movies, which is highly doubtful. they come in, blasting everyone in site. and then leaves. never to be seen again. or he runs his mouth so much, he gets banned. at least he didn't come in saying he was a girl....

oh...by the way...decent list. i didn't see some of them, but i agree that some of the ones you mentioned were decent movies. deserving of a "best of list"...
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    Am I member of the family? Or Am I still in outsider

Credits
    that answer lies with you...