Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

Talking Greetings from DC!

Just wanted to drop a quick note of hello from the United States' capital, Washington DC. In town for a few days on business. Been kinda busy until tonight. Fly back tomorrow.

BTW, anyone need to know anything about the latest in newspaper technology? I know more now than I thought I would ever know in my life.

Corfy
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    Whats the new news on newspaper technology?
    Anything New on the news?
    New things would bring new people to the new newspaper's new world!
    (Now strangly Im thinking that I spelled 'new' wrong.)
    Sgt. Johnny Beaufort: He says, "The Apaches are a great race," sir. "They've never been conquered. But it is not well for a nation to be always at war. The young men die... the women sing sad songs... and the old ones are hungry in the winter."
    Fort Apache

Credits
    You know, I kNEW someone would say something like that.

And if you are really interested, what areas are you wanting to know about? Ads, editorial, design, printing, circulation or something else?

http://www.nexpo.com/nexpo2004/index.html

Credits
    Im just looking at that site you listed...
    hold on! whats this?!?
    "• Attendees participate in dozens of hours of technology education, visit more than 200 exhibitors on the trade-show floor, and take away ideas and knowledge that more than justify the cost of the trip."
    Screw law enforcement! This is where the action is!
    But seriously, I dont really understand what you do for a living, and what ppl in your line of work do, can you explain (in words that I will understand) what you do?

Credits
    Well, what I do is simple. I am in charge of all of the PCs (both hardware and software) at our paper. That comes out to 5 servers and 53 workstations. We also have about 16 Macs in the building, but thankfully, I don't have to deal with them.

I'm not sure that is the answer you are looking for, though. Again, are you referring to reporters, ad reps, printers, ad designers, paginators, something else, or all of the above?

I don't mind answering all of your questions, but I don't want to give a 3-page summary on the newspaper business as a whole when you were just looking for a paragraph about a specific topic. And after being in the business for nearly 23 years (I started helping my dad when I was 6), I'm sure I can give you the answers you want.

Credits
    I got an email that SharkmanSix replied, but I don't see it in my browser.

Anyway, if you like paper, then perhaps I am the wrong person to talk to. I don't know anything about the making of paper. I do know that we get rolls of paper that are about 4 1/2 feet thick and are extremely heavy. Despite the size, a roll doesn't last long. When you have a press that can print 20,000 papers per hour, you go through a lot of paper in a very short time.

Credits
    o Im sorry, I deleted it.
    "I like paper" didnt seem good enough to post.

Credits
    Hey corfy.. did you get to go sightseeing or anything? See anything unusual or usual? You were only there for a day?

Well, I know it's a tad late, but hope you're having a good time.. (or had)
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    I'm back now.

Flew out on Thursday (my wife was terrified that I would be in an airline accident... she hates the idea of flying... but then she was with some friends that evening and they were involved in a minor auto accident. Man, irony is wasted on some people).

Anyway, flew out on Thursday... had an all-day "users group" on Friday... did just a little bit of sight-seeing afterwards (my fourth trip to DC and I finally got to the Jefferson Memorial). Also saw the new WWII Memorial. Very cool.

All day Saturday spent at the actual NEXPO event... went to a really bad seminar but spent the rest of the day perusing various booths.

Sunday went back to attend another seminar, this one highly informative, then back to the hotel to pack and head home.

So I'm back. The 4 days, 3 nights cost nearly $1,000, but fortunately, I'm not paying for it.

Credits
    Wow.. free trip. That's awesome dude. I'm glad you got to see some things that you wanted to see. I've seen the Jefferson Memorial and it's pretty neat. There's a new WWII memorial? Hmmm... well I went to DC when I wuz 12 or something so I may not have seen that. I do remember the Vietnam memorial. That wuz frickin sad. Soooooo many people died.

And welcome back

Credits
    Yes, there is a new WWII memorial. It was just opened up last month. It is located near the Washington Monument on the Lincoln Memorial side. I may post pictures once I actually get around to downloading them off of my camera.

Credits
    A New WW2 Memorial? Doesn't it cheapen the impact of a tribute to a given war if you have more than one of them in your capital?
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits
    Um, there is only one. The U.S. has never had a national WWII memorial... we have Vietnam, Korea, and Tomb of Unknown Soldier, but no WWII until last month.

Credits
    Finally downloaded the WWII Memorial pix from my Washington trip. Enjoy.

Credits
    Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks had a lot to do with getting this memorial off the ground. Tom really got involved after making Saving Private Ryan. He was appalled that we did not have a WWII memorial, as was I ... He made tv commercials about it to raise money, etc. Glad to see it is finally in place. I wish my dad could have seen it before he died (WWII pilot).
    Deep In The Heart Of Texas!
    My Movie Collection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast