Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Wink Fish: Pets or not?

Ok, I am having an argument with my sister, and I could use your input.

I informed her that my wife and I are looking at getting an aquarium and stocking it with fish.

She wants us to forget the idea because she claims fish aren't pets, and we should get a "real pet" instead, like a cat or a dog or a hampster.

She argues that fish keeping is a hobby, and that the fish are not pets.

"a pet is happy to see you, a pet greets you at the door, a pet relys on you for love and attention and food, you can pet a pet... a pet has a personality"

I argue that fish can be pets like any other animal, and that keeping any pet is a hobby.

Anyway, which do you think is right? Am I off base (and if so, tell me why) or is my sister off base (and if so, how can I convince her?)?

(BTW, I probably should point out that I am 29 years old and my sister is 27).
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    you should have made a vote

imo they are "passive pets"
    somebody told me you have a boyfriend who looks like a girldfriend that i had in february of last year the killers

Credits
    I forgot about the poll... never used it before. You are right, though, that would have been good.

"Passive Pets." I like that.

Credits
    I go for no pet. The fish couldent care less that u are there ot not. A pet does, they get lonely when ur away for too long.

I go for fish = living hobby, like plants.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    Fish are pets.. just not "fun" pets... cat's are very much like fish.. they dont care about you either, (unless it's dinner time) I have had 2 cats and a dog, and I can honestly say the only one that is caring towards me, is the dog!

However you can play with both a cat and a dog, which makes them "fun"... you can't really play or interact with a fish... except for dropping bits of food into the tank and watch them drift aimlessly through the water...

You could get Oscars, they are fish that eat other fish, and so feeding is a bit more interesting as they chase their food... but in all honesty... that would get boring after time as well...

If you're looking to choose between the two ... i'd go either a cat or a dog!

[My Top 20 Movies@Ymdb] - ([)(]) Dolby Digital the choice of ML's - [~My Place ~]

{Drag The Sunrise Down: You know the light can hypnotise, so shut it out and close your eyes - Rooster}

Credits
    Fish is a hobby pet. Keeping a clean aquarium takes a lot of work, and it gets expensive when you actually get into it, just like many hobbies. IMO if you take care of these animals, and care enough to actually give them their own personality, whether it's there or not, these animals are considered a pet. I remember when I was a kid, I had a pet worm, I called it a pet because I took care of it (well at least I thought I was), and I gave it its' own personality. That can be different to an adults way of viewing a pet, but I believe that a pet doesn't necessarily mean that it can have feelings, besides do we actually know what they are thinking, or if they even can think.
    I currently have an iguana as a pet and it absolutely does nothing. I've read numerous books about iguanas, and all of them told me that it doesn't have the same affection for humans like a dog or a cat. I still consider my Iguana to be a fun pet though. I don't pet it, I don't take her out (even though I should). I like the way she looks and it's always cool to watch her eat her meal worms. After 2 years she has remained nameless, but never the less she is still my pet.
    "We are men of action, lies do not become us."

Link to my top 20 movies

Credits
    If you can torture it, it's a pet

no, just kidding, I never torture my fish, although if I did would that be so hard to believe? Fish or "Fishes" - yes that's correct english except noone says that, are great low maintanance pets, I also read they relieve a lot of stress, who knows maybe if it wasn't for them I would be making necklaces from the ears of my victims right now.

Credits
    Pet:
    • An animal kept for amusement or companionship.
    • An object of the affections.
    • A person especially loved or indulged; a favorite: the teacher's pet.

You can not argue with that. A fish is a pet. Ppl keep sharks as a pet and they have personality.... to Fing eat u
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    I find it interesting that your sister thinks a fish is not a pet but a hampster is...What's up with that. A hampster is hardly any more affectionate than a fish. Even fish swim to the top of a bowl when you're going to feed them.

Maybe a pet needs to have fur...but then again parrots are considered pets.

This is crazy. Enjoy your pet fish.
    "34 million American adults are obese. Putting together that excess blubber would fill the Grand Canyon two-fifths of the way up. That may not sound impressive, but keep in mind it is a very big canyon."

Credits
    Ill go with your sister on this one... Fish are not pets but a hobby... thay are like living art.....

Fed7haS
    She's just too pretty for Hollywood. I don't know, put her in a glass box and display her at the Metropolitan Museum of Art or something. - Jake on the topic of Scarlett Johansson.

Credits
    Fish are definitely pets! If you have to feed/clean up after it, it is a pet!
    Just my 2 cents...

Credits
    I think it's a hobby too.. but that's probably because my dad had hundreds of fish and dozens of tanks in our basement.. and still does.. but he doesn't decorate them like he use to.

Credits
    If you keep pirhanna as Pets they are certainly NOT PASSIVE. I can't remember the last person we fed them with though......

Seriously I agree normal type fish meet all the criteria of pets: care maintenance: like occasional feeding 3 days apparently recommended
    : oxygenating tank
    : cleaning tank (can be minimised if you dont feed them)

I agree with last post (bailey) that they are engaging and greet you, but have had a scary/spiritual thought -maybe we are all pets, but then I remembered evolutionary theory that we were once fish or ocean dwelling creatures ourselves and learned to walk on land.

I'm SO confused , but remember well the last scene in "Men in Black 2" replay of station locker number [can't remember] when agents Smith and Jones opened one more door and WOW .....end of movie.