Thanks Thanks:  14

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits
    Flags of Our Fathers

I really wanted to like this movie. I was looking forward to it since I first saw the trailer. After all, Saving Private Ryan is my favorite movie and I just am a fan of WWII movies in general. With Spielberg producing and Eastwood directing, how could you lose? I was just expecting more I suppose.

My biggest problem with the movie is the way in which it is told. I'm not a huge fan of flashbacks but I'll be honest I don't know of a better way of telling this story but it could have been a little more cohesive. One thing that bothered me was the fact they you didn't know who the men were that were telling the story in present day and who the younger man was. It was never really clear until the end.

I thought Eastwood did a great job recreating Iwo Jima as you can see from the photo montage during the end credits. I'm going to hold out final judgement until I've given it another viewing or two on DVD. I'm also treating it as the first act of a two act movie and will see Letters when it comes out.
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

j7wild Guest

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by chernabog_ca View Post
    Flags of Our Fathers

I really wanted to like this movie. I was looking forward to it since I first saw the trailer. After all, Saving Private Ryan is my favorite movie and I just am a fan of WWII movies in general. With Spielberg producing and Eastwood directing, how could you lose? I was just expecting more I suppose.

My biggest problem with the movie is the way in which it is told. I'm not a huge fan of flashbacks but I'll be honest I don't know of a better way of telling this story but it could have been a little more cohesive. One thing that bothered me was the fact they you didn't know who the men were that were telling the story in present day and who the younger man was. It was never really clear until the end.

I thought Eastwood did a great job recreating Iwo Jima as you can see from the photo montage during the end credits. I'm going to hold out final judgement until I've given it another viewing or two on DVD. I'm also treating it as the first act of a two act movie and will see Letters when it comes out.
    I am not a huge fan of flashback story telling either; maybe I'm just dumb but I get confused by it.

Furthermore, all that talk about who was in the first picture and who was in the second picture and who did the media and the government thought in the picture got me confused.

Maybe it's because the movie didn't give the audience enough time to familiarize with all the the characters first.

Yup Flashback movies and I don't get along: that is why I still have not been able to understand completely "Memento" and I seen it 3x already!!

Anyway I am ashamed and embarassed to admit that the last movie I saw (on DVD) is:

Ice Princess with Michelle Trachtenberg

I give it 4 out of 5 for Michelle Goodness factor!!

Credits
    Nacho Libre: 3/5
    its a good movie, funny, very good casting, charming characters
    but could have been a bit more funnier

Credits
    Clerks 2: 1/5
    overrated movie, maybe you have to be a fan of this series of movies, to like it
    it was funny here and there, but boring as hell in general