Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    j7wild Guest

Question Which "Hyped" Movies disappointed you ?

Many movies receive great pre-release publicity hype in the newspaper, magazines and on TV.

Which movie that were really "Hyped" that you went to see because of it and you found disappointing and over-rated?

For me here's are my TOP 5 (and some people will probably kill me for saying this):

1. Blair Witch Project - talk about PURE UTTER LYING Trash - make the audience believe it's a TRUE story so they can sell movie tickets!!

That was the only reason I went to see it is because I thought it was a true story!!

2. Star Wars Episode 1 the Phantom Menace - That's the best Lucas can come up with in 16 years?

3. The Princess Bride - seen this movie several times and I don't consider it a classic, didn't find it funny at all and I still don't get it.

4. Gladiator - why did this movie even won Best Picture and Best Actor?

"Traffic" was a much better movie that year in the same nominated category and Ed Harris was a better actor (Pollock) in the same category!!

TIED AT 5. Irreversible, Bad Lieutenant, Romeo Is Bleeding, Strange Days and Natural Born Killers - boring boring boring crap, total waste of my time and money that I will never get back!!

Credits
    The Blair Witch Project, of course who doesn't! The Hollywood version of Godzilla and IMHO the first Batman with Michael Keaton.

Why don't we just finish the job by flushing our brains down the toilet?

My DVD Collection

Credits
    Hannibal, I was very disappointed with it

Credits
    Superman Returns - I had massive hopes for this movie, but the plot had some holes. Why could the kid throw a piono across the room, but not break a door open. When did superman get a son, and Why was superman in a hospital, HES SUPERMAN.

Miami Vice - after seeing collateral, one of the best movies ever, i had hopes for this movie. I coulndnt understand what was going on the first 25 minutes, and the ending sucked, and the rest was just average.

Jarhead - I wanted something with more action less drama

National Treasure - This Movie had so much potential, the trailer was great, but the movie just went on and on forever. They would find a clue, that lead them to another clue, that went to another clue, and just when you thought it was over, there was another clue to another clue.

Credits
    These movies you mention weren't hyped, certainly not as much as for example Phantom Menace, It seems to me that you just had different expectations and you were dissapointed.
    I'm a mog, half man, half dog, I am my own best friend.

Credits
    The Matrix: Revolutions.

Pretty self explanitory. :p

Moved from Minas Tirith!!! Direction of my new path is not so clear, but I think I'm on the way to MY SHIRE
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by htitos
    The Blair Witch Project, of course who doesn't!
    Me. I like it.

About hyped movies? Deffnitely Matrix:Reloaded and Matrix:Revolutions.

Credits
    I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but there are two movies that I went to see in the theater and almost walked out of. I don't remember how hyped the first one was (I saw it with my step-dad, mom, and sister, and I didn't choose the movie), but it seemed to me it was "critically acclaimed." The second was definitely over-hyped in my opinion.

The first was the Robin Williams movie "Dead Poets Society". If I had somewhere to go, I would have left and waited for my family to watch the rest of it. I was bored to tears and completely confused about why that movie was made.

That isn't why I am going to get flamed.

The second movie I went to because a) I believed the hype and b) I saw a movie of a similar genre not too long before and loved that one, so I figured I would give it a chance. Again, I was bored nearly tears, although this time I had my wife along, and she felt the same way I did. That movie (here comes the flames) was "Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring."

I'm sorry, but that movie did absolutely nothing for me whatsoever. I was not impressed with the walking topographical moving map of Middle Earth, with the monotony of walking while not saying much broken up only by people hiding and not making a sound.

One movie "classic" (made before I was born, so I couldn't have seen it in theaters) that I picked up on DVD at the advice of everyone I talked to was "2001: A Space Odyssey". The special effects in that movie were cool, especially for the time it was made, but I didn't have a clue what was going on in the movie until I read the book and I just couldn't wait for the movie to be over. I ended up fast-forwarding through several music montages.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    other than Spider-Man I don't think any of the recent Marvel movies lived up to their hype. The Hulk in particular was trash IMO

Credits
    I say good for You Corfy! While I personally think LOTR: Fellowship was a superb movie, I applaud your honesty and respect your opinion. You'll get no Flamage from me.

By the way I'd have to say,
    The hollywood version of Godzilla also. That movie had so much promotion and was just crap.

"Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. You heard me rapping, Right?"

Credits
    Im Romeo is Bleeding as the worst. I was so dissapointed with that crappy flick.
    Superman Returns is another one, felt like all the subplots from what could have been a series of Superman films put into one, except I loved the Superman getting a beat down scene.
    Sgt. Johnny Beaufort: He says, "The Apaches are a great race," sir. "They've never been conquered. But it is not well for a nation to be always at war. The young men die... the women sing sad songs... and the old ones are hungry in the winter."
    Fort Apache

Credits
    from this year:

Xmen Last Stand - Why oh why did they mess it up sooo badly!! killing off intergral characters is not the way to go!!

Da Vinci Code - purely bad movie making and overly hyped!

j7wild Guest
    here's 2 more and I know some people here will get upset at me but...

Pitch Black

War of the Worlds (there weren't enough War)

Credits
    You're not going to upset me... I haven't seen either of those movies, and I have no interest in seeing WotW. Not sure about Pitch Black.

j7wild Guest
    Here's two more:

Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast