Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Dino De Laurentiis to do new Hannibal Lecter

Variety reports that Dino De Laurentiis, who first introduced Hannibal Lecter to the big screen in MANHUNTER and also produced its remake RED DRAGON and HANNIBAL, is already working on the screen adaptation of BEHIND THE MASK, the new Lecter adventure that Thomas Harris is currently writing (). In fact, the trade reveals that it was the veteran producer who inspired Harris to pen MASK in the first place, convincing the author that there was demand for more of the cannibal’s exploits. MASK, for which Harris is scripting the film version concurrently with writing the novel, will expand on a passage from the HANNIBAL novel which describes how Lecter watched his young sister being murdered and eaten by soldiers in WWII Lithuania.

"It is a revenge story that shows why he became a cannibal," De Laurentiis tells Variety. "But he kills people that audiences want to see killed. So while there is a natural revulsion, the sympathy toward Hannibal remains."

Continuing the trend of directors from outside the horror genre tackling the good doctor’s exploits, De Laurentiis has already signed Peter Webber to helm the feature; Webber’s credits include THE GIRL WITH THE PEARL EARRING and episodes of SIX FEET UNDER. De Laurentiis’ wife Martha will join him on the producing side, and the movie will roll in May for summer 2006 release; Universal and MGM, which partnered on HANNIBAL and RED DRAGON, will have the first shot at domestic distribution rights. The film will be shot in Europe, and three different actors (yet to be cast) will play Lecter at different times in his life.
    as taken from fangoria

my $.02 :: as long as Anthony Hopkins gets to play the older Hannibal, this might be an interesting film. no one can even think about playing this caharcter but him.
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    Dino, STOP ALREADY! With each new entry, it sullies the original. I do like Red Dragon, that was actually done pretty well and closer to the book (not to say that Manhunter wasn't equally awesome) but Hannibal was horrible. If you have this guy be the lead character, there isn't enough character progression to be interesting.

I know what you're saying: But this one is all about progression!

It's a stupid origin story to a man who I don't want to know the origin to. It's much scarier when you don't know how they got that way. If I would have seen all the events of Michael Myer's life before he killed his sister as a boy, I wouldn't care. Hannibal is (was) scary because he was charming and almost acted as if he could be anyone. I like to keep some distance from the man and not know his inner workings.
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

Credits
    I didn't like Hannible, too long, too boring.

Red Dragon was good, but as i have learned, you can't judge a film until a trailer is out.