Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

The Death Penalty and Schwarzenegger

On January 19th of this year Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger allowed the first death sentence to be served in three years, and the first under Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. That is almost copied straight from a news site (because honestly if I hadn’t, there’s no way I’d have been able to spell Arnie’s name!)

Anyway, I recently caught an ad for a movie on Court TV called The Exonerated. It’s based on true stories of several people who spent years on death row for crimes they didn’t commit. The original version was a play which inspired my interest in the subject of the death penalty. I specifically remember one guy who spent something like 20 years on death row before finally being cleared.

Now before someone jumps all over me: I’m not saying that the guy who was just executed in California was innocent. But does anyone think it’s acceptable that even one innocent person could be executed? I think it’s about time this country joins the rest of the civilized world and adopts a more humane approach. For those of you still on the fence on this issue, I’d check out this movie, because if it’s anything like the play the personal stories will astound you. I think it airs on January 27 (but check courttv.com just in case I’m wrong). And if you have thoughts on this issue, I’d like to hear them.

Sylvio

Credits
    I'm for the death penalty. If you take life you don't deserve to live.

You should read more about the guy they put to death recently in California. The guy is guilty of killing 3 women by cutting their throats thats after raping them which actually happend 20 years ago.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits

Question

Quote Originally Posted by trailergod
    I'm for the death penalty. If you take life you don't deserve to live.
    But ... what if they were innocent?

Credits
    if innocent then obviously that person is not guilty of killing or taking the life of the other person. "But, what if, why....".... Thats not the case. My arguement is that if a person is proven GUILTY (beyond reasonable doubt), then the proper punishment should be given, which is the dealth penalty for very gruesome crimes.

That guy in California had 20 years to prove his inncence.

Credits
    i'm against it

but not because i think you should treat the murder better, but simply because i think it's a much bigger punishment to spend your whole life in prison than to get shot.
    if i had to choose between being locked into a small room with no chance of ever getting out for the rest of my life or getting killed, i'd choose to die
    somebody told me you have a boyfriend who looks like a girldfriend that i had in february of last year the killers

Credits
    I'm against the death penalty, but for tougher prison sentences and conditions. I think if you kill someone you should spend the rest of your life in a 6' by 6' cell with bread and water, no tv, and a two book maximum. For entertainment they can make license plates all day. No reason prisoners should be entitled to cable...especially when a law-abiding citizen like myself can't even afford it.
    "34 million American adults are obese. Putting together that excess blubber would fill the Grand Canyon two-fifths of the way up. That may not sound impressive, but keep in mind it is a very big canyon."

Credits
    Prisoners get cable in the US? Tell me they have Internet and I will be ready to commit whatever crime it takes to get in there.

See, I think that is the point. If there isn't a punishment to fear, people will more easily commit murder. Talk about Japan. I trembled when I read about how their prison system works. If I ever go to Japan, I will pretty much make sure that I don't make the silliest mistake, even that of dialing a wrong number. And if you check, they have one of the least percentages of crime.

I am for death penalty, and harder conditions.

Credits
    ...Hmmm... ask yourself this... what if death was a reward?

Credits
    "if" is a lovely stupid word. But Jedi Master just hit a home run with that question. In some cases, death is too easy and light hearted punishment.

Till later.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Not for the death penalty, just seems like stupid eye for an eye stuff. And did you guys ever think of the officers that have to be the executioner? To take a life is something that is both unforgettable and haunting. If someone takes a life put them in jail for eternity if you want but dont have another man take his, in return having that in his memory forever, then give him a paycheck for it and call it justice.
    Does that make sense?
    Sgt. Johnny Beaufort: He says, "The Apaches are a great race," sir. "They've never been conquered. But it is not well for a nation to be always at war. The young men die... the women sing sad songs... and the old ones are hungry in the winter."
    Fort Apache

Credits
    For the most part I agree with SharkmanSIX...but I don't think the executioner is someone we typically need to worry about when determining the ethics of this practice. Some people's jobs involve taking life, police, soldiers, executioners, and the people who hold these position are often capable of handling the stress of taking life.

For example, even though I am against the death penalty and advocate repealling death sentence laws, I have no problem with killing person who committed a crime in a state that currently has a death penalty and was convicted by a jury of their peers. I wish states didn't have these laws, but if they are the will of the people I think that they should be enforced.

Credits
    kill 'em. plain and simple. and do it quickly. one of the things that is wrong with this country is that the laws are not hard enogh. good pint about bringing up japanese laws. they have something like a 93% conviction rate...(meaning you have a 93% chacne of getting caught). where in america it is like 13% if not lower. sure, commit a crime and not only do you get room and board, but cable AND a college education. yes. i had heard of an inmate who is serving time for murder, was in the pen. and got his lawer's degree then represented himself in his parole. i don't think he won but the point is that he did get his degree at not cost at all to himself...but to the american taxpayer who most, like me, can not afford to go to law school.

if you commit a murder, then you deserve no less. and none of this sitting on death row for 20 yers. you'll get your trial and one appeal. that's it. if you loose both. then...

or

"I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    I say first get rid of pointless laws protecting people from themselves, and no longer drain money into pointless prison sentences for things as stupid as doing or selling illegal drugs... and then no death penalty. With all the billions we'd be saving from no "drug war" (which we've been losing for decades) and no prison sentences for it, we could easily afford to put all the REAL threats to society in prison for their entire lifetimes... and with all the money we'd save, we could put it into better public education and the improvement of bad neighborhoods so we don't get these bad people in the first place. But, politicians only think of themselves, just like everyone else with enough power to make a difference. Sad.

Credits
    the death penalty also gives "closure" to the victims families. Its the same idea in the case of "missing person". There will never be "closure" if someone is lost and never found coz there is no proof of death. So all those families who have relatives "missing" from the big quake in south asia will never have closure untill they find the missing or find the body of the missing.

Same with death penalty, it offers justice and closure to the families. On the ongoing arguement on Death penalty, it seems like we always forget the main point here. Which is that we should always thing of THE VICTIM and the families involved and not the criminal who is a traitor to life and a traitor to humanity. I don't care who or how the criminal is, I just want Justice and closure and get rid of people who take the lives of others is very gruesome ways.

I also don't like the idea that jail senetence is a better option is giving justice, that its a life long punishnent. Well, I dont like my taxes provide food and shelter to criminals who deserve nothing in life. And as long as the criminal is alive, the "wounds" that is created in society a kept open by its existence.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by trailergod
    ... And as long as the criminal is alive, the "wounds" that is created in society a kept open by its existence.
    i agree with that most of all. it is hard for the remaining members of the victim's family to move on knowing that their loved one is gone while the person who did it is alive and well. it does provide closure on many levels.

there is a reason why "an eye for an eye" is one of the oldest "laws" of man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast