Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

How much $ are the production cost for a movie trailer???

i just a little discussion with a friend and he said that for example the trailer for return of the king had a production cost of $4mio. i kinda doubt that. i mean $4mio is a bit too much. personaly i think that the cost for a movie trailer are between $10.000 - $100.000.

so what you think or even know for sure?

Credits
    it's usually 100,000 USD to 200,000 USD for big blockbuster movie trailers. This is just the cost for the editing, music rights and some rendering on the trailer. Music rights usually costs the most and usually is limited (means trailers cant be online forever, be copied on DVDs... etc.)

The distribution and showing of the trailer is completely a different thing. The cost for movie trailers usually belongs to the marketing budget of a movie with for big blockbuster films usually ranges from $20M to $50M
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    seeing as how they pay for the shots out of the budget on the entire feature, the production value for a trailer would truly be just the amount of money you pay someone to edit it. and I know for sure, it isn't even close to 100,000 bucks. I'd say 10 grand, for a 2 and a half minute job. even less for teasers.

Credits
    well prices depends on "SIZE" of the movie, especially SUMMER BLOCKBUSTERS have a big asking price in editing and the MUSIC used is the key. The rights to use them and the cost is what usually makes is very expensive.

Teaser and Trailer for CHARLIES ANGLES 2 cost Sony Pictures around 200,000 USD to make. The big chunk of it goes for all those music used in the trailer.

Credits
    You also have to conside the cost of printing the 35mm print of the trailers and shipping costs when they are sent separately.

Credits
    .. and the added special effects to trailers. The added extra CG to make the scene more "wow", CG text, etc.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Trailers for "small" films are around 50K USD and for big budget are typically in the 100K-250K USD. Big Big Trailers can run up to 1M USD. The costs are generally licensing music, sounds (even 1 second), narrator (that guy with the low voice makes a million dollars a year!), sfx, etc. Making the trailer itself (printwise) is supposedly a hundred bucks or so, but think about Pearl Harbor that released into 3000+ theaters I suppose they sent out that many trailers before hand ... so it gets expensive. And the biggies do teasers and trailers and preview trailers and features etc.

Credits
    They could have saved a lot more if they asked us to make it LOL! I'm sure we'd all love to create the trailers for them at a much lesser pay/cost

Credits
    hell no. I wouldn't charge anything less. Think about all the equipment that needs to be used. You have music, sound design, audio mixing, graphic design, editing, FX, printing, licensing, contracts, resources, deadlines, FILM supplies, etc. etc. etc. I am sure I missed a ton of other things. Probably sales and marketing representatives.

Credits
    yup, lets also think that lots of trailers are actually personally edited or approved by the producer or director of the movie.

Credits
    Just a little tidbit, anyone here seen the documentary on voice acting on the 2 disc "Comic Book: The Movie" dvd?

The same guy who voices Tigger and Winnie the Pooh is the guy who does the powerful low voice in all our favorite movie trailers!

Credits
    well be careful there. There are more than a few trailer voice people out there. I thought there was just one but there are actually quite a lot of them. I work with a fella that has the same ridiculous tone but he is more well known for commercial production.

One of the most interesting things is he doesn't speak like that on a regular basis. He actaully sounds like a cool fella that is laid back and not like this over the top drama queen.

Credits
    the guy that did most of them up until the late 90's is the guy who does the voice of tigger and pooh though, and his regular voice is squeaky.