Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: K-19

Credits

K-19

Saw it yesterday. Very Good... Harrison Ford is realy great in that role... would be amazing for us to see him as a bad guy, don't you think

Credits

Re: K-19

Originally posted by Jedi Master
    Saw it yesterday. Very Good... Harrison Ford is realy great in that role... would be amazing for us to see him as a bad guy, don't you think
    I think he was a bad guy in "What lies beneath".

Credits

Re: Re: K-19

Originally posted by lafce

I think he was a bad guy in "What lies beneath".
    he definitely wuz a bad guy!! oowie! you never seen that side of him before.
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    dawm!!! your right!!! i forgot! :big grin:

Credits

Hmm....

I don't know, I haven't seen either of those, but Ford's 'russian' accent sounded pretty lame in the trailers... at least he tried unlike neeson.
    Are you a Mexi-CAN or a Mexi-CAN'T?

Credits

Thumbs up K-19 Review

K-19...the first motion picture by National Geographic. Let me start by saying that I want to see more films from them! This film is an incredible feat, capturing some of the claustrophobia of a submarine in crisis. The feel of the film has not been seen since Das Boot (in my opinion).

The cast is superb, however, the storygets a little caught on its moral contradictions. A strong point in this film is that it seems to be told from a soviet viewpoint (quite unlike another movie - The Hunt for Red October). There is a scene where the officers of the sub toast that they "are communists". The captain (Harrison Ford), is a brutally efficient man, in charge of pushing the USSR's first nuclear sub to its limits. The captain is fierecly loyal to Russia's navy, and questions his ex-o's tendency to put the lives of his men above the needs of the soviet state.

A major flaw in the movie occurs with the ex-o and former captain, played Liam Neeson. Half way through the movie he abruptly about faces from being mostly concerned about the safety of his men, to being concerned about how "patriotic" he is. No explanation is given for this change. During the close scenes with Neeson's subordinates, no indication is given for his imminent switch in moral compass.

My favorite character is the rookie reactor officer (who looks oddly like Ewen McGregor). His best scene is when he has to fix the reactor in a chemical suit (no radiation protection), but succumbs to sheer terror, preventing him from entering the reactor.

The other flaw in the movie is the final scene. The final scene is completely irrelevant. The moral point the movie was trying to make (I'll keep it secret so as not to spoil it) is epitomized in the final scence but is also infused throughout the whole movie. I was easily able to deduce the moral point without the need of the final scence.

Let's hope more movies come out like this that show us the stories we should know, but were never told.

My rating for the movie: 3.5 out of 5 stars
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar