Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by richard1970
    Well, if nothing else, Episode III leaves no doubt that Lucas hates George Bush.
    Yeah, I caught that. That whole scene was ridiculous. Just shut the hell up already, the damn election was over months ago...

Credits
    Well, if nothing else, Episode III leaves no doubt that Lucas hates George Bush.
    If you are referring to the scene when Anakin says "If you're not with me...."

They brought this up on CNN and they interviewed George Lucas who said he wrote the screenplay before George Bush ever said that.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by lafce
    I guess it has something to do with Ep. III... I still haven't seen it...
    yeah i kept thinking you've seen it!... no worries mate!

you know what.. i dont think ive come across ne1 in person thats absolutely hated this movie... to b honest theres not much to really hate about this movie other den 1 or 2 minor things (which we can all get over)....

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by hicks
    If you are referring to the scene when Anakin says "If you're not with me...."

They brought this up on CNN and they interviewed George Lucas who said he wrote the screenplay before George Bush ever said that.

And also...it may have been taken from the Bible before it was taken from Bush. I don't mean to bring the Bible into this because I know how contraversial religious topics can be. Couple that with politics and the topic could become even more touchy. So please see this input of mine as purely for interest sake as far as that quote in the movie is concerned.

Anyways it says in the Bible (Matthew 12:30 to exact) ; "He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad." (That's the king James version) more modern Bibles quote like this..."If you are not with Me, you are against Me, if you are not gathering you are scattering."

So it could be that Lucas took that phrase from the Bible and not from Bush. Because that phrase has been around for a long time.
    Homer Simpson: "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."

Credits

Thumbs down Popcorn sillyness

I'm a big fan of the original trilogy and was greatly disappointed by phantom menace... I seriously thought that Lucas could do better with attack of the clones but all my hopes were shatter so I went into watching Revenge of the Sith with very low expectations and even then I was disappointed. (I Must now add the ‘Clone Wars’ is an amazing cartoon and even 1 of those 5 minute cartoons is far better than this entire 140min travesty)

The movie is wall to wall score from John Williams and the only real break came when Vader pop’s up and we hear the famous robotic breathing... that’s about 10 seconds without some kind of score telling the audience how to react and feel. A movie should work first and foremost WITHOUT any score and the score should only be there to heighten the dramatic impact of a particular scene, the score to me was so annoying but I’m sure there will be defenders saying that it is in keeping with the style of the originals... I’m just giving a review in my own opinion and people can take it or leave it.

The opening battle was boring and void of any real thrilling action. The lightsaber fights were poorly choreographed and there was far too much comedy from McGregor... he’s Obi-Wan not Han Solo he didn’t need all the wise-*** remarks. The dialogue is wooden and lifeless (wooden as in it’s delivered without any real meaning behind it not that it was monotone in anyway). The actors did almost all the film on a green screen so I guess this can account for much of that but all in all the script is just plain poor. It’s almost like Lucas knew that he would be cross marketing the film with videogames so he had as many scenes added into the film that could become great levels in the game. Chasing Gen. Grievous, Lightsaber battles etc etc. More dialogue of a higher standard would have turned this film from laughable to slightly bearable. The whole “I love you Ani” “Only because I love you” “No I love you more because love is blind” was hilarious.

The whole way in which Anakin decides to turn to the dark side in order to protect Padmae is quite silly and happened all too quickly, in fact so many events in the script happen in a blink of an eye. Padmae goes from a flat stomach to being in full pregnant mode (with twins and still able to run like a marathon runner down her star ship to meet Anakin), The 1st Death star is well into being completed but somehow takes 18 years before it Blow’s up Leia’s Home Planet in ‘New Hope’. There are so many inconsistencies in the plot... but alas it IS just a popcorn movie and nothing to delve into like the original 3. See for me the Original trilogy let the audience make up the back story, it gave the audience a voice and let our imaginations create a vast universe for ourselves, these prequels basically just tell us: “This is how it happened and there is no deferring from it!” Sad really.

Nothing was overly exciting. I heard comments from people leaving the cinema like “Wow. That fight between the emperor and yoda was so cool.” No it wasn’t it very pointless and yet another ploy at having a great level in a video game. “When Vader finally gets the mask on it was so amazing. It was like seeing the originals all over again” – Not really. It’s James Earl Jones saying some horrible lines from the tiny frame of Christensen, it was nowhere near as terrifying or as empowering as any of the originals.

At the end of the day I can say it was defiantly the BEST of the prequels, but even at its best it can’t even match the worst of the originals.

Lucas failed again at creating a meaningful film with the finesse and love he put into the original 3, but he DID succeed in creating a mindless blockbuster that many will see for many reasons, even just for a good laugh at how awful they know it will be. For those who loved it, I’m sure you have your reasons and I’m very sure they are valid to you... but this one was a definite flop for me.

1/10

(The 1 star being for the fact that they actually had a good cloth rendering software this time, but there were just far too many digital doubles. ILM can and HAS done better)

Credits
    Quit drug buddy!! or go see it in you own language 'cause i think you diden't understand it. You do realise that your the only one in the world with this kind of review!

Pfff.. The lightsaber fights were poorly choreographed come on!! ..oh i see you like the fight in EP4 between Vader and Kenobi better...now that was a choreographie

go and watch bambi again 'cause i think Star Wars is to much you buddy

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Sum Whan
    Lucas failed again at creating a meaningful film with the finesse and love he put into the original 3, but he DID succeed in creating a mindless blockbuster that many will see for many reasons, even just for a good laugh at how awful they know it will be.
    Now fine everyone is entitled to their opinion as to the films quality, but who exactly gave you the ability to jump into the mind of George Lucas and see how much love HE felt for these new films? Surely as the writer, director, producer, bleeding toy planner and whatnot he wouldn't have taken on all of this extra responcibility unless he had a passion for these films. The fact is that George Lucas does now, and always has, cared more about imagination and adventure than strong dialogue and a water proof script. It wasn't without reason that Harrison Ford told Lucas "you can read these nlines but you sure can't say them." It was because on paper the diaolgue in the original trilogy did what it needed to, but on screen it sounded incredibally bad. That is one point that hasn't changed. It's the same with the writing, go anywhere on line and you can find tons of mistakes in the OT that in no way relate to the prequels, it's just because these little holes are there and nobody cares. Even the effects, call me crazy but Star Wars was always known for its ground breaking effects, and all thqat is happened is improved technology. Sure the CGI doesn't always look entirely real, but then neither do the plastic puppets with wooden movements or the guy in a Wookie suit with almost mechanical mouth. It's about suspension of disbelief, it was never supposed to be about looking at real creatures on the screen, or analyzing every minute detail in order to prove that Ewoks really did fight for the freedom of the third moon of Endore. Yeah people may be older now ands that suspension of disbelief has goitten more difficult, but that doesn't change the fact that Lucas has poured the same imagination, love, and technical planning into his Star Wars films as he always had.

Credits
    Originally Posted by Jedi Master
    Quit drug buddy!! or go see it in you own language 'cause i think you diden't understand it. You do realise that your the only one in the world with this kind of review!
    Ok... see it's that kind of responce that I was talking about. I DID in fact see Star Wars in My own Language, the movie was shot in english in Australia, i Live here and speak... suprise suprise - ENGLISH.

I also realise that I would in fact be the only person in the world with this type of review because I wrote it in my own words from my own honest opinion. It seems that when anyone's view differs from that of the general conscences that somehow they are either on drugs, didn't understand the movie or are just plain stupid.

Look put simply Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith was Banal, boring and laughable... not nearly as bad as ep 1 & 2 but not nearly as good as the originals.

The choreography in the originals was nothing special but in terms of fight choreography as a whole i was not remotly impressed by any of the fights in ep3.

But look, people will have different opinions, they always do and if anyone out there feels this is an amazing film then all the best to you. You enjoyed it on a different level to me but those the fact that you liked it somehow mean that your opinion is valid and mine is not? No.

I saw the movie for what it was, popcorn entertainment... and as with most film of this type it's all action and no heart making it a hilarious film to view. IMHO.

-SuM

Credits
    First, let please me commend you Sum Whan. I am a firm believer in freedom of speech, and you do have your right to opinion. I also do not think "your opinion is wrong and everyone else is right.". It is an opinion. It can't be wrong.

That being said, I do have one question for you. Where you said, "there was far too much comedy from McGregor... he’s Obi-Wan not Han Solo he didn’t need all the wise-*** remarks.".
    Now I could be reading this wrong, and I do NOT mean this in a sarcastic way, but how do you know this is not Lucas' vision of how Obi-Wan was when he was younger?
    He has had these wise-cracks in the last two prequels also. In a New Hope Obi-Wan has a job to do and knows what it is, hence his lack of sense of humor. He is the "wise old man". Just something to think about.

I will take into consideration your opinion when I go see Episode 3 again, because the first time i saw it I was so overwhelmed that I was finally getting to see the final Episode that it was kind of hard to focus.

"Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. You heard me rapping, Right?"

Credits
    I for one agree with every point that Sum Whan made.... but I still enjoyed the movie.
    Yes, the dialogue was bad. Yes, Anakin turned too fast. Yes, some of the effects could have been better. Yes, it lacked emotion.
    But, as he also said, this is a mindless popcorn movie. So was the original trilogy.
    People have made it into some kind of groundbreaking, holy-grail or movies... but Star Wars is just that... a popcorn movie. A silly sci-fi film, full of action and comedy.
    I took it for what it was... and I had fun.

Credits
    JP... actually its more of a BIG independent saturday morning Buck Rogers movies :-)

Sum Whan is a star Wars Fanatic, just like Jedi Master..... because they are at the opossite extreme points of the spectrum... One loves it so much no matter what.. the other loves it so much to the point he hates it when its not according to his liking....

Whats the big deal... is would I say... a normal movie viewer would not give a damn if it sucks or rocks... as long as its an enjoyble entertainment... why should I waste my time going gaga over a movie or exert so much effort in super analysing it to find mistakes... hehehe ... and I think JP and I belong to this group.. :-)
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits
    Like when Ben Kenobi says in Ep IV "I haven't been called Obi Wan since before you were born." Uhhhh.... not true Obi baby
    True, but to say, "I haven't been called Obi-Wan since shortly after you were born and I brought you to be hidden with your step-aunt and step-uncle from your estranged father who has turned into one of the biggest villians in the galaxy" just doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    Get ready for this...here's my review

Star Wars: Episode III - Score 2.5 out of 5 stars

------------------------------------
    The movie was an enjoyable popcorn experience, but through most of it I felts this emptyness. There was no heart to it. It was as though (as my wife put it), that Ep III was to tell what happened and nothing more (sorta documentary).

The best sequence in the entire movie was the fall of the jedi. Beautifully edited, with a great musical backing (thank you Mr. Williams), and directed well, it also had a lot of emotional depth. I firmly believed that if the best of the fall of the jedi sequence was taken and applied to the rest of the movie, the movie would have truly been great.

The best points of the sequence can be illustrated by Padme looking to the distance at the fires overtaking the Jedi Academy. You know something terrible is going on (particularly from her reactions), but it is not explicitly shown. A great movie can make itself as much as by what is not shown as what is. However, I must make a caveat and say that I really liked the battle between palpatine and Yoda.

The movie fails when it tries too hard to be tragic and gets overdone. Palpatine started speaking with the emperor's speech impediment way too early and consequently was corny. Yoda's backward talk was a few times very very ridculous. And the best bad line in the movie - "Hold me like you did at by the lake on Naboo"

Now let's turn to Mr. Vader, Hayden Christensen, also know as Angry Boy. All in all, I think Hayden is a terrible actor, but plays angry really well (see TV show "Higher Ground"). I just think the role of could have been played by someone better.

To touch on an earlier comment, the fight scenes were well coreographed. The best fight sequence is when Ankin and Obi-Wan are fighting down the hallway on Mustaraff and enter a small room. They then proceed with a fight sequence consisting of 20+ moves (my guess) in less than two minutes.

The movie's saving graces come from R2-D2, Yoda (not when talking backward he was), and Obi-Wan. R2 provided some teriffic comic relief. Yoda provided a great moral compass to the movie (like the sequence when Anikan consults him). Ewen McGregor deserves great credit for his acting in Ep III. I think the role was some of his best acting to date.

The end of Star Wars marks the end of an era. All three great scifi sagas are gone - Babylon 5, Star Trek, and now Star Wars (Yes, I know about the TV show, but somehow having no more movies has an impact). What's next?
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    I'm sorry if someone covered this earlier, but what was up with Palpatine turning ugly all of a sudden?

Was he always an alien pretending to be a human, or was he human, and just deformed, as he told the senate? I'm going with alien, but there really wasn't much information given. That's kind of what he looked like whenever he had the hood up anyway.

I also wonder what happened to Anakin's eyes when he was killing the separatists. They looked like Darth Maul's eyes.

All in all, I enjoyed the movie. I grew up with Episodes IV - VI, and always liked them. But I never thought they were all that awesome. The acting and dialogue in those movies wasn't so great. There's no need to be so critical of the 3 prequels.
    If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by wirm
    I'm sorry if someone covered this earlier, but what was up with Palpatine turning ugly all of a sudden?

I also wonder what happened to Anakin's eyes when he was killing the separatists. They looked like Darth Maul's eyes.
    You mean, while Palpatine was fighting Windu? His own powers did that to him. Windu used his light saber to dodge his powers and also used the light saber to trade Palpatine's powers to himself. His powers onto himself was making him weak and ugly. That's the way I see it.

And with Anakin's eyes. The only reason I could think of why his eyes glowed like the way it did was because he was turning evil so fast. He is filled up with all kinds of hate and anger. It can do that to your eyes. Maybe not in reality...
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast