Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Gears of War

Credits

Gears of War

Source Hollywood Reporter

The good news here is Uwe Boll's name isn't down as director. Still sounds bad to me as I thought Underworld: Evolution and Die Hard 4.0 were pretty average but I guess it's a wait and see.

Len Wiseman to direct 'Gears of War'

New Line is putting "Gears of War" in motion, setting Len Wiseman to direct the video game adaptation being produced by Temple Hill's Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey.

Chris Morgan, who wrote the upcoming Universal tentpoles "Wanted" and "The Fast and the Furious 4," has been hired to write the screenplay. Wiseman and Morgan will develop the story treatment.

The movement on the project suggests that the reconfigured New Line won't be confined to horror, thrillers and low-budget comedies but will be able to tackle big-budget projects outside the scope initially ascribed to the Warner Bros. division.

"Gears," developed by Epic Games, became an instant success when it debuted on the Xbox 360 in November 2006. It became one of the most popular games on the Xbox Live service, overtaking "Halo 2," and sold more than 3 million units worldwide in its first 10 weeks. It received numerous awards, including Gamespot's Game of the Year and the Interactive Achievement Awards' Overall Game of the Year.

Set on the planet Sera, the game thrusts players into a battle for survival between humans and a race of creatures that surface from the bowels of the planet known as the Locust Horde. Players assume identities of soldiers on Delta Squad as they fight to save Sera's inhabitants.

Overseeing for New Line are Richard Brener, Walter Hamada and Dave Neustadter. Stuart Beattie was the original writer on the project.

Video game adaptations have proved a tricky art to master in Hollywood. Some movies have fallen apart because of creative and economic pressures ("Halo") or just not performed well at the boxoffice ("Doom").

Cliff Bleszinski, the "Gears" design director at Epic, said the tricks to adapting a game are simple: "Hollywood needs to take the source material seriously, win over the avid gamers and make it work for an audience that is young and old, male and female." But he also admitted that that plan is easier said than done.

"Disney made a great movie out of a theme park ride, and somebody is sooner or later going to make a great one out of a video game," Bleszinski said. "Having someone like Len really helps the odds. I think we're going to create something special here."

The ICM-repped Wiseman last directed "Live Free or Die Hard," which grossed about $135 million in the U.S., and was behind the vampire-werewolf "Underworld" franchise. Morgan is repped by ICM. The two wrote together on "Shell Game," a sci-fi project set up at Sony.

Credits
    This better be an amazing movie!

Credits
    I love this game, but I have a really bad feeling about it.

Hollywood just has no luck turning games into movies. Just check out Uwe Boll's last abomination.

Credits
    I have hopes, after all the Resident Evil franchise is excellent in my view, and Doom could have been better, but what can I say
    Granted, more misses than hits, BloodRayne being the winner for bad movies, but one must consider that most theatre goers just want good entertainment value for the money, as gamers are only a small portion, they would rather be gaming than viewing.
    This one might be a winner

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.