Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Credits

Star Wars Saga - What Would You've Changed?

Since all the DVDs are now available and since Lucas loves to do modifications (it was stated in the deleted scenes intro that Lucas is still tinkering on the films), what changes would you like to see for the inevitable mega box set?

Here's my list...

Episode I: The Phantom Menace

-Replacement of Yoda puppet with CG Yoda model from Episodes II and III (which looks like WILL happen!)
    -Redubbing of Yoda’s voice to match voice inflection from other Episodes
    -Omission of the Gungan transport shutting down and second “small fish and big fish” sequence before the arrival at the Naboo capital
    -Returning the podrace sequence to the original theatrical cut which has a faster pacing and deletes the unnecessary moment with Anakin’s podracer twirling
    -Gungans dying at the Battle of Naboo (makes sense considering scenes before it mention about the possible sacrifices to the Gungans)
    -Less “how rude” statements from Jar-Jar (the only one being kept in would be the one he says to R2-D2 at R2's intro scene)
    -Deletion of Jar-Jar’s head getting shocked by Anakin’s podracer's power stream
    -A lot less Jar-Jar antics during the battle of Naboo

Episode II: Attack of the Clones

-Re-instatement of the scene where Anakin and Padmé meet the Amidala family (yet does not include the bedroom scene for pacing)
    -Deletion of the scene following the waterfall picnic with the cow creatures (unnecessary moment and cited as being very cheesy. Also features the worst effects of the films)

Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

-Re-instatement of the line given by Count Dooku, “Just because there are two of you, don’t think that you have the advantage” before the lightsaber duel (as seen in the videogame)
    -Longer Jedi Purge sequence
    -Re-instatement of Nick Galliard’s cameo appearance and battle with Anakin (if shot, as seen in the videogame)
    -Nods to Padmé’s involvement in the creation of the Rebel Alliance (again, those three scenes are CRUCIAL
    -Deletion of the "I love you more" balcony scene

And now onto the controversial ones....

Episode IV: A New Hope

-All space scenes are redone in CG
    -The Tantive IV performs maneuvers to outrun the Star Destroyer at the beginning
    -Use of The Imperial March at Vader’s arrival
    -Use of Across The Stars when Obi-Wan views Leia’s message
    -All lightsabers are redone to match prequel trilogy
    -All monitors and displays redone to match prequel trilogy
    -CG creatures added to cantina scene
    -Return the Greedo/Han shootout to the original theatrical cut
    -Deletion of any lines in the Han/Greedo exchange that mirror lines between Jabba/Han exchange
    -New CG shots that showcase the expansiveness of the worlds (mainly the Death Star, Tatooine, and the Falcon’s arrival at Yavin)
    -3-D CG displays of the Death Star plans that match those from Episodes II and VI
    -Blood removed from the severed arm in the cantina.
    -New CG shots of Luke and 3PO speeding through Tatooine on the landspeeder, replacing previous footage of the landspeeder
    -Battle Of The Heroes used during the Obi-Wan and Vader battle.
    -CG body doubles in the Vader/Ben lightsaber duel.
    -New scene with Palpatine on Coruscant dissolving the Galactic Senate
    -New scene with Vader meeting with Palpatine on Coruscant after the destruction of the Death Star
    -Much more ships added to the Death Star battle
    -Darth Vader’s eyes are black, not red
    -Luke’s saber color matches Anakin’s saber color in Episode III
    -Duel Of The Fates used towards the end of the Death Star battle
    -Removal of all jump cuts when lightsabers turned on/off or doors opened/closed
    -All holograms upgraded to match prequel trilogy
    -New explosion of the Death Star that is more dramatic and inspiring
    -Re-dubbing stormtroopers with Temura Morrison
    -CG training droid on Millennium Falcon and torture droid in Death Star
    -CG model revealing more of the dianoga in trash compacter scene
    -High angle shot of Luke and Leia swinging over the chasm in the Death Star
    -Vader using his saber to try and cut through the blast doors after glimpsing Luke in the docking bay of the Death Star, after murdering Kenobi

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

-All space scenes redone in CG
    -Hoth battle scenes, walkers, and snowspeeders redone in CG
    -Ground troops on Hoth battle
    -CG animated Tauntauns in long shots
    -New shots of Wampa in beginning that match costume in the Wampa cave
    -More Wampas in Wampa cave
    -All displays upgraded in CG to match prequel trilogy
    -All lightsabers upgraded to match prequel trilogy
    -CG enhancement of Yoda to further articulate his face
    -CG Yoda walking around during Luke’s training
    -New worm/snake creature in the asteroid
    -CG Luke falling into the shaft on Cloud City
    -New shots of Cloud City showing epic scale
    -Re-instatement of Luke’s line to R2-D2, “You’re lucky you don’t taste very good”
    -Mention of construction of the second Death Star or viewing the construction (like Episode III)
    -Re-dubbing of Temura Morrison’s dialogue as Boba Fett to match inflections in theatrical version
    -Re-dubbing stormtroppers with Temura Morrison
    -Duel of the Fates during final bits of Luke/Vader fight on Cloud City

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

-Jabba the Hutt redone in CG in all shots
    -CG creatures in Jabba’s palace
    -All space scenes redone in CG
    -New CG shots of Tatooine, outside Jabba’s palace, landing on Endor, Ewok village, Death Star
    -All lightsabers upgraded to match prequel trilogy
    -All displays upgraded to match prequel trilogy
    -CG lightning from Palpatine
    -CG battle between Palpatine and Vader with newly added dialogue before Palpatine’s death
    -Longer lightsaber duel between Vader and Luke before Luke cuts Vader’s arm
    -New CG scene of Palpatine falling down shaft to his death
    -Additional scarring to older Anakin’s face to match scarring from Episode III
    -Longer moments with Anakin’s spirit looking at Luke
    -More ewoks dying at Endor battle
    -More ewoks added to the battle
    -CG walkers in the battle of Endor
    -CG enhanced Yoda adding further articulation to Yoda’s face
    -CG enhanced ewoks adding articulation to faces
    -New montage at end of film showcasing footage from most planets in the saga including new Coruscant scene (looks less like New Year’s Eve) that shows an eye-level rebel destruction of the Palpatine statue, street level rejoicing on Tatooine with Skyhoppers zooming overhead, closer views on Naboo (possibly a shot of Padmé’s tombstone), Wookies on Kashyyyk rejoicing
    -New piece of music for end of film that blends the major themes and ends with Across The Stars
    -Luke viewing more Jedi spirits at the end of the film, with Mace Windu, Qui-Gon Jinn, and many more Jedi from the prequel trilogy all looking at Luke and smiling
    -Possibly a gift for Anakin’s spirit having him see Padmé again for the first time in over 20 years with a passionate embrace between the two
    -Ending shot of all the Jedi spirits instead of the rebels
    -New explosion of the Death Star
    -Re-dubbing stormtroopers with Temura Morrison
    -On the blue-screen composite shots of Han, Chewie, and Luke going to the Sarlaac pit, the backgrounds are slightly out of focus to preserve real photography
    -Mention of Anakin’s prophecy to bring balance to The Force and how it is finished
    -Sebastion Shaw being replaced with Hayden Christiansen as Anakin/Vader is revealed without the mask.

So what do you think? I'll be checking this forum religiously for thoughts and questions...
    Last edited by WorkShed; 11-12-2005 at 12:02 PM.
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

Credits
    I like a lot of those, but not all of them. It would take a while to comment on all of them, so I will cover the highlights:

I agree Yoda should be replaced in I. I always thought he looked terrible in that movie. I guess they were trying to show him as being younger, but they missed.

I'm not sure you should replace all of the Stormtroopers' voices. Yeah, all of the Clonetroopers have been made Stormtroopers, but are we sure all Stormtroopers are clones?

Why would you want to replace Jabba in VI? So far, that is the most realistic-looking Jabba yet. They seem to have trouble getting him just right with CGI (although the DVD version of IV is close).

I was surprised they didn't change all of the computer screens in Episode IV when they put the DVD out.

Why replace the worm in V? That would be, at best, a minor improvement because personally, I think the worm looks pretty good.

We don't see more Jedi spirits at the end of VI because Qui-Gon was the first one to figure out how to communicate after dieing. The only ones he showed that to are Yoda and Obi-Wan (although I still don't quite understand how Anakin has that ability).

I don't quite understand your comment about Padme in VI. Are we supposed to see her in VI, even though she isn't a Jedi?
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    The thing about Padme is that in Episode III, Yoda states that dying is another part of life, another part of the journey. So, even though this goes against popular opinion, I don't think that only Jedi can become spirits, but Jedi were the ones who found the way to become spirits. Therefore, they can have anyone become spirits.

Plus, it would work more with the saga arc to have Anakin's sins washed away with his sacrifice. It would be a powerful moment to have Anakin reunited with his lost love (especially due to his sorrow over her loss in III).

My comment on Jabba in VI is based solely on continuity in the saga. I don't want VI to suddenly look dated because it doesn't have a CG Jabba. I merely want a CG replacement, much like what they've done with Yoda in I.

I also don't think it is such a big problem (not that you've said this Corfy, but I've heard the complaint) to have a little CG enhancement on Yoda in V and VI. I think the puppet is great, but it will make the transition a little easier to take from III to V.

Now, let me also make this clear, I want these changes ONLY in addition to ALL the original theatrical editions becoming available. I think about this set much like the Alien Quadrilogy. It would be amazing to have those seamless branching of Theatrical Edition with Archival Edition.

It would be the set of all time.

Credits
    why not make a remake of the episodes IV - VI? i don't mean this as a joke. this would be much better then trying to "fix" the original films. sometimes it's better to turn down a building and then build a new and improved one.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkShed

Episode I: The Phantom Menace

-Replacement of Yoda puppet with CG Yoda model from Episodes II and III (which looks like WILL happen!)
    -Less “how rude” statements from Jar-Jar (the only one being kept in would be the one he says to R2-D2 at R2's intro scene)
    -Deletion of Jar-Jar’s head getting shocked by Anakin’s podracer's power stream
    -A lot less Jar-Jar antics during the battle of Naboo

Episode II: Attack of the Clones

-Deletion of the scene following the waterfall picnic with the cow creatures (unnecessary moment and cited as being very cheesy. Also features the worst effects of the films)

Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

-Nods to Padmé’s involvement in the creation of the Rebel Alliance (again, those three scenes are CRUCIAL
    -Deletion of the "I love you more" balcony scene
    I agree with you. These changes would improve the movies.

I especially llike the idea of Padme's involvement in the creation of the Rebel Alliance. It would make her more believable character.

Waterfall picnic with the cow creatures, that was awful They should get rid of it.

Jar-Jar, he should be digitally erased from all of the movies

As for the Episodes IV-VI, well I don't know... I love them as they are. WorkShed I must say that you came up with some really interesting ideas. I'll keep thinking about them...
    Last edited by michalz00; 11-05-2005 at 12:06 PM.

Credits
    i'm too lazy to read all of that but I'm playing Battlefront 2 star wars game now and it explains the process of clone troops to storm troopers. The rebels captured Kamino and made rebel clones themselves so to combat the threat that 1 single DNA chain of clones can be corrupted, more other DNA was introduced.

Still don't understand y u want CG space battles instead of models. CG can not get to the level of models yet in extreme detail. That is why I love the OT over the NT. The space battles rocked and the NT did not have good space battle. Well... they had only 1 which was in SW1.

The major problem with the NT is that it doesn't have random loveable extras. The OT, you see the faces and voices of extra pilots that get quite a bit of screen time. NT doens't have that.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    I do agree with you, Kn'thrak that the IV-VI have more personality to them through getting to know the various pilots in the rebel alliance. I also think that that may have been the point. Since we aren't given a look so much into the clone troopers (which pretty much take over the battles after the second half of II), we don't get to know them. They become faceless, which is perfect for setting up the storm troopers.

I don't understand what you mean about the Battlefront 2 storyline. Tell me more. I'm really interested in the Kamino subplot in II and how it involves the creation of the storm troopers.

The reason I would want the space battles to be replaced is for one thing: continuity. The space battles in I-III have a very distinct choatic choreography. However, due to the technology restraints in IV-VI (well not so much for VI), this quality is lost. Most of the ships move in only one direction and the appearance of the choatic is lost. Especially in IV. The point I look at the most is when the Falcon leaves Tatooine and is chased by the two Star Destroyers. They look extremely fake and the Falcon does nothing to try and out maneuver them. They just get shot at numerous times flying straight ahead. If this is space, the Falcon should be able to go anywhere it wants. Up, down, upside down! However, it doesn't. Plus, the Death Star battle in IV is regulated to a minor skirmish compared to battles in I-III. The power of that scene is lost when compared to previous episodes. It needs a facelift that only CG can provide.

I don't think you are right about detail. The opening shot in III had a lot of detail. I do agree that sometimes CG can not be as good as models, but with the case of these films, the CG battles have been impressive.

why not make a remake of the episodes IV - VI?
    It's an interesting thought, but I don't think they would be able to capture the magic those films had for people. Plus, it would cost a lot more to do that than to upgrade the effects (which is still a massive task, but it would be made easier by starting from scratch on the effects and redoing every shot in CG).

Plus, Harrison Ford is the bomb.

Jar-Jar, he should be digitally erased from all of the movies
    I feel for you, but that's ultimately impossible. He has way too much plot revolved around his interaction in Episode I. I actually wished that he had a little something to do in III because he didn't bother me as much in II. I think that deleting nearly all of his slapstick humor in I, he'll become much more bearable and will help the film which is very unsteady with its tone considering its basically a children's film about complex politics (how does that make any sense?!).
    Last edited by WorkShed; 11-05-2005 at 12:14 PM.

Credits
    I wouldn't change a single thing in the Original Trilogy... they are perfect as they are. About Episodes I-III -- (with all the respect) I don't really care much for them... if they change something I guess I wouldn't notice it (well, not exactly notice it, but you know what I mean ).

(about remaking Episodes IV-VI )

... I don't think they would be able to capture the magic those films had for people.
    True!

EDIT:
    Return the Greedo/Han shootout to the original theatrical cut
    This is the only thing I would change in the OT, I forgot about it. It looks ridiculous as it is now... how could a bounty hunter like Greedo miss from that distance? I really don't understand why did Lucas make this change?!?!
    Last edited by lafce; 11-05-2005 at 02:52 PM.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by lafce
    how could a bounty hunter like Greedo miss from that distance? I really don't understand why did Lucas make this change?!?!
    This is definately the sentiment from almost every fan. It also makes less sense when you place IV right after III as far as storytelling goes. Since III ended so dark, it would make sense for smugglers to be murderers against bounty hunters. Plus, Greedo still had that blaster pointed at Han's face. I would have done the same thing in his position. Hell, Greedo was even saying that he was going to kill Han.

By adding the Jabba scene, it makes even less sense because Greedo was talking about there being a bounty on Han, yet Jabba states later that he will put a bounty on Han. This is why the Jabba scene needs to be changed because it doesn't make sense with the ADR lines in the Greedo scene.

I wouldn't say that the OT is perfect. Those lightsaber shots are very annoying in IV. There's a lot of little effects work that would make all the difference in the films. Keep in mind that in most of my changes, I'm not asking for huge modifications. Most of them are for the special effects to match the visual quality of I-III. It would make more sense for children that will grow up with every single episode and watching them from I-VI instead of IV-VI and then I-III.

If I didn't know much about the films and I was interested (and I was born in 2005), I probably would have started with Episode I. If I didn't know that IV was made a lot earlier, I would be angry by the drastic change in special effects. As it stands now, the gaps between the visuals in III and IV are massive.
    Last edited by WorkShed; 11-05-2005 at 03:25 PM.

Credits
    I've added an edit to the list...

In Episode III, I would also call for the deletion of Anakin's apology scene to Obi-Wan. By this point, Anakin already has a feeling of jealousy towards Obi-Wan being chosen to go after Grievous. Anakin also smiles in this scene. It's obviously a reshoot because all it does is lighten the mood, yet it doesn't really fit in with Anakin's emotional journey in the film. In the scene before, he's upset that Obi-Wan (speaking for the council) wants him to spy on Palpatine. After the scene, he talks with Padme about his desire for power and his jealousy of Obi-Wan.

It doesn't make sense for this scene to be a part of the film. It would have worked better in the beginning after saving Palpatine, but not here.

Here's the most controversial change of all...

I also believe that Hayden should replace Sebastian Shaw in VI when Luke removes Vader's helmet. I bring this up for numerous reasons...

1. If Anakin is no longer "alive" (Lucas's words) when he becomes the mechanized Vader and died in III, then Anakin should not have aged in the Vader suit. Therefore, he should have still looked the same. It would also add to that "Luke Skywalker behind the Vader mask" symbolism in the cave scene in V considering that Luke would look about the same age as his father.

2. I was never a big fan of the delivery given in the scene.

3. It would make more sense with Anakin's ghost being Hayden in the end. He would still "look" the same under the Vader suit and create less questions about why Anakin looks young in spirit form but officially died looking like an older man.

So what do you think?
    Last edited by WorkShed; 11-05-2005 at 04:37 PM.

Credits
    I'm with lafce. I wouldn't change a thing in the original trilogy.

I think Lucas should leave things the way they are and retire. He's going to ruin the whole star wars saga if he doesn't stop. I'm all for computers but not when it comes to reality. We want the reality feel from the movies. The first three episodes were all cool but it didn't make me feel very thrilled as the last three episodes did. I really liked the old anakin as a ghost in the ending of the return of the jedi. I'm so glad I kept my original star wars trilogy laser dics. It's all before the changes and I will treasure it forever.

Please... no more changes.
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Credits
    Again, these changes are meant as supplement to the availability of the original theatrical releases.

Credits
    I'd say, redo the lightsabers in Episodes 1-3, rather then redoing them in episodes 4-6. The ORIGINAL 100% untouched lightsabers from Episodes 5 and 6 looked the best out of all the movies.

The new ones look harshly composited. As though the glow is just sitting on top of the footage.

Just my 2 cents

Credits
    I would put a different actor as Anakin.... Me

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master
    I would put a different actor as Anakin.... Me
    Which one? There were three different actors playing Anakin (not counting Darth Vader).

Episode I?

Episode II and 3?

Or Episode VI?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast