Thanks Thanks:  0
    j7wild Guest

Thumbs up Here are the Academy Awards winners !!

I can't believe 'Crash' upset 'Brokeback Mountain' and Reese Whiterspoon, Philip Seymour Hoffman and George Clooney winning for their roles in 'Walk The Line', 'Capote' and 'Syriana' respectively.

Now those are 5 movies I still need to see!!

After all the good reviews about 'Brokeback Mountain' and for it not to win in the Best Picture category; do you think this is a sign that the Academy is still afraid to recognize Gay people?

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
    Winner: Crash (2004) - Paul Haggis, Robert Moresco

Best Motion Picture of the Year
    Winner: Crash (2004) - Paul Haggis, Cathy Schulman

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
    Winner: Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote (2005)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
    Winner: Reese Witherspoon for Walk the Line (2005)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
    Winner: George Clooney for Syriana (2005)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
    Winner: Rachel Weisz for The Constant Gardener (2005)

Best Achievement in Directing
    Winner: Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain (2005)

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
    Winner: Crash (2004) - Paul Haggis, Robert Moresco

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
    Winner: Brokeback Mountain (2005) - Larry McMurtry, Diana Ossana

Best Achievement in Cinematography
    Winner: Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - Dion Beebe

Best Achievement in Editing
    Winner: Crash (2004) - Hughes Winborne

Best Achievement in Art Direction
    Winner: Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - John Myhre, Gretchen Rau

Best Achievement in Costume Design
    Winner: Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - Colleen Atwood

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
    Winner: Brokeback Mountain (2005) - Gustavo Santaolalla

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
    Winner: Hustle & Flow (2005) - Jordan Houston, Cedric Coleman, Paul Beauregard("It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp")

Best Achievement in Makeup
    Winner: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005) - Howard Berger, Tami Lane

Best Achievement in Sound
    Winner: King Kong (2005) - Christopher Boyes, Michael Semanick, Michael Hedges, Hammond Peek

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
    Winner: King Kong (2005) - Mike Hopkins, Ethan Van der Ryn

Best Achievement in Visual Effects
    Winner: King Kong (2005) - Joe Letteri, Brian Van't Hul, Christian Rivers, Richard Taylor

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
    Winner: Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) - Steve Box, Nick Park

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
    Winner: Tsotsi (2005) - Gavin Hood(South Africa)

Best Documentary, Features
    Winner: Marche de l'empereur, La (2005) - Luc Jacquet, Yves Darondeau

Best Documentary, Short Subjects
    Winner: A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin (2005) - Corinne Marrinan, Eric Simonson

Best Short Film, Animated
    Winner: The Moon and the Son (2005) - John Canemaker, Peggy Stern

Best Short Film, Live Action
    Winner: Six Shooter (2005) - Martin McDonagh

Credits
    Booourns, on Batman Begins not wining Best Achievement in Cinematography
    I think it should have won.

Credits

Cool

Crash was a very complex film - depending on your perspective you got different messages out of it.

As for the possibility of the Academy snubbing Brokeback cuz it was about gay people, I think nominating it for so many awards, as well as nominating Felicity Huffman for Transamerica say a lot for how good movies are getting made that dealing with subjects that for decades were taboo.
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    I don't feel that Brokeback not winning the Academy Award is about the Academy's fear of gay people. That's crazy.

However, they like Paul Haggis. He wrote last year's Million Dollar Baby (a great script, just like Crash). However, Million Dollar Baby was not the best film of 2004 and Crash was not the best film of 2005. Brokeback definately should have won.

Crash was a great script. But Haggis failed to provide a thurough performance throughout the film. There are many moments that just come off so forced. It doesn't help that some of his actors just weren't "there" like Don Cheadle and Ludacris. It was a movie about people just yelling at each other. There was ultimately no point. The film didn't say anything that hadn't been said in race films between 1960-2000 before.

Paul Haggis has a lot of friends in Hollywood. His win was purely political.
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

j7wild Guest
    Hi Workshed, I never seen Million Dollar Baby so I wouldn't be able to reply to your comment: which movie do you think should have won Best Picture in 2004?

Credits
    well havent seen Crash. But Brokeback did nothing for me. I didnt find it interesting at all, and the amazing images, was not so amazing either.
    For me it didn't earn any of its nominations, or oscars.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Moved from Minas Tirith!!! Direction of my new path is not so clear, but I think I'm on the way to MY SHIRE
    Credits
    I've seen all 5. Crash is last on my list. I was very suprised and disapointment. After Jack's "Crashhh", I've said polish "i ch#$j" i turned off TV. But... I'm happy for Rachel, King Kong and Wallace/Gromit awards.

In 2008 nobody will remember who won this year's "Best Picture".

Credits
    I absolutely agree with you, Mithrandir. "Crash" will be forgotten.

j7wild, I would hands-down go with Brokeback Mountain. While Gaumont says that the images did nothing for them, they were absolutely haunting for me. Definately a filmmaker who knows what he's doing. Almost every shot was brilliant. I'll keep the shot of the fireworks in my head for quite a few years to come. Great film that's very personal and emotional. Crash had none of these. Only one shot is memorable (or scene for that matter) and it's the "magic cloak" scene. It's cheap, but it is still effective. The main thing was believability. Did I believe in the world? With Brokeback, I was invested 100%. With Crash, I drifted in and out constantly. I tried watching it again, but couldn't get into it.

Munich deserved to win more than Crash did, and I still found Munich to be flawed. Just not nearly as flawed as Crash.

j7wild Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkShed
    However, Million Dollar Baby was not the best film of 2004 and Crash was not the best film of 2005. Brokeback definately should have won.
    which film do you think should have won in 2004?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild
    which film do you think should have won in 2004?

I'm for smaller pictures for Academy Awards. Sideways.

j7wild Guest
    My Wife and I went to see Brokeback Mountain today.. a good movie but not Excellent IMO; furthermore, Michelle Williams had a small role and if you edit all the scenes she was in where she actually spoke, it amounted to not much.

Why did she get nominated?

Moved from Minas Tirith!!! Direction of my new path is not so clear, but I think I'm on the way to MY SHIRE
    Credits
    Judy Dench, few years ago won Oscar for her performance in "Shakespeare in love". She was on the screen... I don't know 3-4 minutes, but this is one and only thing that I remember from this movie.