Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Decision Favors Widow of Superman Creator in 'Smallville' Suit

I don't know how many read the news posts on IMDb but I though this was interesting.

Decision Favors Widow of Superman Creator in 'Smallville' Suit

A federal judge in Los Angeles has poured Kryptonite over The WB's Smallville, granting a summary judgment to the widow and daughter of Jerry Siegel, one of the two creators of the Superman character. As reported by Daily Variety, the ruling by Judge Ronald S.W. Lew observed that Joanne Siegel and Laura Siegel Larson had successfully recaptured the copyright to Superboy in 2004; it also denied a request by Time Warner, Warner Bros, and DC Comics to issue a ruling that Smallville did not infringe on Superboy copyrights. "Enough facts are presented, where this court, contrary to defendants' request, could find that the main character in Smallville is in fact Superboy," the judge ruled. Warner Bros. told the trade paper that it plans an appeal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now personally I enjoy Smallville alot being that I am a big fan of Superman. I kind of see Smallville as "Ultimate Superman" if I can borrow that term from Marvel. Now I personally do not consider the main character in Smallville to be Superboy, he in my mind is just Clark Kent sure he has his powers and ablities far beyond those of mortal men but still in my opinion he is not Superboy. The show is about a young man with extraordinary powers on the journey to his ulitmate destiny. In my mind Superboy is compleately different from Clark Kent on Smallville. Superboy has a suit and a cape and does everything his elder counterpart does, true you can argue that so does Clark on Smallville, but thats just it Clark does it! there is technically nothing "Super" about Clark until he puts on the uniform and "becomes" Superman and in Smallville he has not reached that point in his life yet.
    Also in the comics right now "Superboy" and "Clark Kent" arent even the same person and if DC Comics brough continuity in to this suit you can plainly see that the Superman of today has not been "Superboy" in his younger years thanks to Crisis on Infinite Earths and The John Byrne: Man of Steel Revamp so im my personal opinion I think this Judges ruling should be overturned and finally in closing I was thinking wouldn't the surviving Siegel's get some type of royalties or payments anyway being that Smallville is basied on the character of Superman?

Credits
    DC screwed Siegel and the other co-creator. So its about time they get to pay up.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    I just hope that this doesn't affect Smallville too badly. No offense, but I don't want an old woman controlling a five year story arc.
    http://web.sm3thegame.com/media/2502/2863/9999999/BannerPassContest1.gif

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkShed
    I just hope that this doesn't affect Smallville too badly. No offense, but I don't want an old woman controlling a five year story arc.
    I don't think they will just hand over all creative control to some old woman that owns the rights to "Superboy". I think they will just start cutting them some type of royalty cheque or something like that and well the way I see it she can have the rights to "Superboy" but like I said in my opinion Smallville has nothing to do with "Superboy" and if I was the judge I would have actually ruled differently, but then again the chances are that I know more about the topic and subject matter then that judge probably does.