Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Question Hollywood Movies Based on True Events Close to You

I would like to know if there is a Hollywood movie based on true events close where you live. I will start with mine, there was a movie back in 1990 based on true events happened 10 minutes from where I grew up. It's called A Show of Force, great cast but a mediocre movie:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100606/

PS: If someone else asked this before, don't mind me, I'm spending the night with my good old pal Jack Daniel's.

Why don't we just finish the job by flushing our brains down the toilet?

My DVD Collection

Credits
    Schindler's List - the factory and Płaszów camp (that what's left from it) is not far from where I live.

Credits
    ummm....where the hell do I start....?

well I'll tell you I've got a LOT more fiction movies but fine, I'll stick with based on true stories

The problem is that most true stories are usually based away from cities because not many "amazing" things happen in cities.

I mean come on, look at this....

Titles with locations including
    New York City, New York, USA
    Here are the 6890 matching titles:

lol

Bay Ridge-where I live and Goodfellas partly took place (I mean A LOT of this story, and I don't mean only the stuff in the film)

World Financial Center-where I work, relatively close to Five Points where Gangs of New York took place

Downtown Brooklyn - where I went to HS, and the real bank robbery of Dog Day Afternoon took place

Credits
    Well i was on the Titanic does that count? And I was once a soldier in the great war on a pretty quiet western front. Ohh and it were the time when i went to Antarcica and stumbled upon a couple of aliens fighting eachother.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    my house was shown in Bourne Identity (when he's in moscow at the train station) and i was walking by when they were filming it- man i felt bad- it was 8am and freezing...i was going to class...

Credits

Well, Gandhi was extensively shot in India. It sweeps along in all the major portions of India. There were many scenes shot in Mumbai were I live but it was very long ago.
    It won the oscar long before I was born.

Moved from Minas Tirith!!! Direction of my new path is not so clear, but I think I'm on the way to MY SHIRE
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Reel_chick
    my house was shown in Bourne Identity (when he's in moscow at the train station)
    Identity? Maybe Bourne Supremacy?

j7wild Guest
    they filmed Robocop 2 here in Houston, does that count?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild
    they filmed Robocop 2 here in Houston, does that count?
    I really miss those classic movies lol, I wish we could send Robocop to Iraq

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    I really miss those classic movies lol, I wish we could send Robocop to Iraq
    Robocop would be good but i would much rather see ED209 there.

"...you have 10 seconds to comply..."
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    I live very near the city called Rotenburg. There happend a very disturbing crime a few years ago. A cannibal ate, with permission from the victim, many parts of the body. He also roasted the "penis" and filmed the whole scene.

Hollywood already made a movie out of this:
    Rothenburg

-------------

Die Wolke - 90% of this movie is based on the city were I live. Its based on a nuclear power plant incident that happend around 20 years ago.

Credits
    I grew up just 10 miles away from Milan, Indiana. In 1954 (long before I was born), Milan High School, which was really small (only about 100 students), won the Indiana State Basketball Championship (which, at the time, was not divided up into classes), beating powerhouse Muncie Central with over 2,000 students in the state final.

The movie Hoosiers is a very fictionalized account of that event (with the home gym they filmed in just 15 miles from where I live now). I won't go into all of the differences between reality and the movie, however. I don't want to bore you with the details.

This may be a bit more obscure, but I also grew up just 26 miles from Madison, Indiana, home of the Madison Regatta boat race. Events from one of those races inspired the movie Madison, where a boat owned by the city of Madison won the race in the early 70s, defeating heavy favorite Miss Budweiser.

Also, not sure if this really counts, but I grew up just 50 miles from Cincinnati. The movie 8 Men Out was based on the so called Black Sox scandal when eight Chicago White Sox players were accused of throwing the 1919 World Series against the Cincinnati Reds.
    Last edited by corfy; 05-05-2006 at 08:09 PM.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection