Thanks Thanks:  0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    j7wild Guest

Talking That's IT !! I am moving to Canada, they have all the OIL!!

I am watching a show on CNN about Oil and they say that Canada has a 100 year supply of Oil underground and they are in the process of extracting it to sell to Oil Dependent countries like China but not to the U.S.

I am moving over there!!

The U.S. is going to go through an Oil Crisis that will bring the economy to a standstill sometime in the next 5 years and I don't want to be around to see it!!

People here are so naive and they continue buying gas guzzling SUV and think that everything is gonna be okay!!

Did you know that in Brazil, they produce their own oil and ethanol and 75% of their cars run on pure ethanol made from sugar cane? The rest run on gasoline from their own country and the excess is exported at a profit?

The U.S. sucks when it comes to Oil Exploration and Producing!!

Credits
    I disagree, I'd stick with the US, the only problem is that we consume too much. Basically the US is or will be very soon at the peak of its maximum crude oil production. The natural gas peak closely follows that. That being said US is BY FAR the most efficient country at extracting oil where it's only necessary to have one rig doing the work of 200 Saudi rigs. The US also has the largest refinery industry in the world.

I am not just expressing my opinion, I have the bulk of my stock portfolio in domestic gas and oil producers so I really read a lot on this issue.

American companies are posting record numbers in EVERY category, not just because of high oil prices.

There is a huge problem but trust me when I say this, America's problems are nowhere near the world's problems. All those developing countries have consumption that is skyrocketing and really nowhere to buy it as basically the west controls every significant pipeline and shipping lane in the world. Add to that the fact that we have the largest Strategic Petroleum Reserve in the world (thank you Mr. Nixon, Mr. Reagan and Mr. Bush) and we'd maintian minimal function in times of crisis.

And hell we can always go with my method and just take oil, not like there's really anyone to oppose us.

Regarding Canada, they have an excellent energy policy and are a net exporter BUT no SPR and the bulk of reserves being oil sands (very expensive to extract) put it in a decent position, but not exactly heaven.

Consider the fact that if suddenly there was no oil (the largest reservoirs in the world have already been depleted) we'd basically have to stop driving and flying. Meanwhile the Middle East would lose 100% of its exports and pretty much EVERYONE in the world except the US, Russia, most of the EU, Canada and probably Australia, wouldn't even have energy for electricity.

Ethanol and Hydrogen are IMPOSSIBLE to use. I am no conspiracy theorist but actually read THE BASIC FACTS on how those are produced, Ethanol, Hydrogen, Solar, Wind or anything except for nuclear WILL NEVER IN THE FUTURE OF THE WORLD be subsitutes for light sweet crude and natural gas. The Chemistry behind their production proves my point. We may soon have all Hydrogen cars but our consumption of oil is realted mostly to industry where oil can't be substituted.

Brazil is lying with their info, you have to destroy a couple of hundred acres of corn to power a few cars for a year, no wonder their people are starving. I said this a few threads back, the US and Canada combined produce something like 1/5 of the WORLD's corn, if we conveted ALL of it to ethanol it would give us a month or two of gasoline.

Bottom line is that I'd feel confortable living in either US or Canada, but anywhere else in the world I'd feel very very scared.

Credits
    Strange... I live in Canada and here the gas as NEVER been so expensive

Credits
    something else you have to think about, just becuase the prices are high, doesn't mean that we are in a "gas crunch". the biggest oil company puppet is in office, of all the times for the oil companies to be over charging, it is now...while they can get away with it.

take a look at CNN Money....of the largest companies, three of the top ten companies are oil companies.(Exxon being number 1) i wonder why ?? LINK

"Republicans invited big oil and gas company lobbyists to the table to write the Republican energy bill that President Bush's own Energy Department said would increase gas prices," said Jennifer Crider, Pelosi's spokeswoman.
    ... LINK @ CNN.com

so it is not about who has the oil....
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    As a non-driver, I really shouldn't say anything... but... I have no problem with gas prices going up. Why?

Because it will get people angry.
    And nothing will change until people get angry and demand change.
    This will lead to new bills, technologies and eventually, alternatives to oil.

The reason nothing is being done now is because people take oil/gas for granted.

Credits
    There are no oil alternatives.

Credits
    That's why we need some.

And yes... there are many being worked on.

Alcohols-such as ethanol and methanol are extracted from grains, wood and biomass.

Electricity-stores energy in batteries.

Hydrogen-is produced by splitting water into oxygen and hydrogen by using electricity.

Liquefied Petroleum Gas-consists of a mixture of propane and other similar types of hydrocarbon gasses under low pressure.

Liquids made from Coal-are capable of producing gasoline, diesel fuel and methanol.

Biodiesel-resembles the characteristics of diesel fuel but is made from vegetable oil or animal fat.

Fuel Cell Vehicles-turn hydrogen fuel and oxygen into electricity. They are considered to be zero emission vehicles.

Hybrid Vehicles-generate primary power from gasoline, but use an electric motor for accelerating and climbing hills.

Credits

Talking

There are.

Anyway Canada should be aware of US now, coz you know how it works - where is oil, there is war and where is war, there is US getting oil, lol
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

j7wild Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by st39.6
    There are.

Anyway Canada should be aware of US now, coz you know how it works - where is oil, there is war and where is war, there is US getting oil, lol
    you mean we are going to invade Canada and turn it into the 51st State?

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild
    you mean we are going to invade Canada and turn it into the 51st State?

maybe

no way, was just jokin´, but you must agree that there is somewhere in my message hidden a little true

Credits
    Can we just settle this once and for all THERE ARE NO ALTERNATIVES TO OIL lol

or maybe I should rephrase that THERE ARE NO ALTERNATIVES TO OIL/GAS/COAL other than nuclear for power plant

I'm serious, people think there are but it's all bullshit, there is simply not enough grain, wind, light, whatever to actually power anything else. I really wish I was wrong but I'm not.

Hydrogen being the big "promise" these days, Hydrogen is NOT extracted from H2O, Hydrogen is extracted from OIL!

EDIT: You can obviously extract Hydrogen from water BUT you use electricity to do that, and a whole lot of electricity, making this process absolutely useless

Electricity is produced by power plant which run on NATURAL GAS!

There are many ways of improving our efficiency but there is simply no way in hell ANYTHING in the 21st century can be produced without oil. None of you own a single thing that wasn't somehow produced by oil. Every plastic is oil, every food is harvested using oil powered machines, every metal is made in high heat made by oil.

We can definately eliminte pollution by converting oil/gas/coal into other things, but we still need to import

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in709983.shtml

"Ethanol production in the United States does not benefit the nation's energy security, its agriculture, the economy, or the environment."
    David Pimentel, Tad Patzek
    Authors of recent ethanol study

But researchers at Cornell University and the University of California-Berkeley say it takes 29 percent more fossil energy to turn corn into ethanol than the amount of fuel the process produces. For switch grass, a warm weather perennial grass found in the Great Plains and eastern North America United States, it takes 45 percent more energy and for wood, 57 percent.

Credits
    I think we'd mutually benefit if Canada and the US consolidated into one kickass country. Saying we'd attack Canada is ridiculous (though I know you guys mean it as a joke) but Ontario is already like New York, Alberta is like Texas, and BC is like California, that's pretty general but I've been to all of those places and that's how I perceive it.

Of course Canada has a different mentality. They're running a huge budget surplus while we're way in the red. I do have issues with that country as much as I do with NY legislature but overall we're very much alike.

There may seem to be hatred between Americans and Canadians but it's mostly a joke. Though I have to say that Canadians treat Americans like **** in Canada, what's up with that?