Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moved from Minas Tirith!!! Direction of my new path is not so clear, but I think I'm on the way to MY SHIRE
    Credits

Lord of the Rings trilogy, Star Wars, King Kong and Titanic in digital 3-D

source: Hollywood Reporter

Boxoffice king James Cameron issued a call to arm theaters with digital cinema and digital 3-D in response to declining cinema receipts and rampant movie piracy during his keynote address Sunday at the National Association of Broadcasters' Digital Cinema Summit.

"We're in a fight for survival here," Cameron told the overflow crowd in the Las Vegas Convention Center. "Maybe we just need to fight back harder, come out blazing, not wither away and die. D-cinema can do it, for a number of reasons, but because d-cinema is an enabling technology for 3-D. Digital 3-D is a revolutionary form of showmanship that is within our grasp. It can get people off their butts and away from their portable devices and get people back in the theaters where they belong."

Cameron also took the occasion of the world's largest annual film and broadcast technology trade show to fire a few shots across the bow of the emerging trend of simultaneous releasing being promoted by 2929 Entertainment's Mark Cuban and "Bubble" director Steven Soderbergh, among others.

"We're so scared of piracy right now that we're ready to pimp out our mothers," Cameron said. "This whole day-and-date DVD release nonsense? Here's an answer: (Digital cinema is) one of the strongest reasons I've been pushing 3-D for the past few years because it offers a powerful experience which you can only have in the movie theater."

The director of the highest-grossing film of all time at $1.8 billion worldwide said he is considering a rerelease of 1997's "Titanic" in digital 3-D just as Peter Jackson is planning at some point for "King Kong" and, possibly, his "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. George Lucas also plans to theatrically rerelease his original "Star Wars" in 3-D timed to the space opera's 30th anniversary next year.

With filmmakers and exhibitors united behind the idea of enhanced cinema experiences, Cameron predicted that studios would become even more focused on both releasing new titles and rereleasing classics in 3-D digital cinema.

"We will reach a point in a few years when every major studio will ask how many of its four or five annual tentpoles should be in 3-D," Cameron said. "It will become almost a rule that all major 3-D animated releases will be made available in 3-D.

"Every year there will be a copy of timeless favorites brought back through (3-D) dimensionalization," he said. "The new wave of 3-D films will be the must-see films, the major releases from major filmmakers."

Cameron said that despite industrywide squabbling and fear-based decision-making associated with new technology, and even despite the fact that the major studios haven't cooperated in the past, the digital cinema rollout actually is happening.

"We're halfway through the looking glass," he said. "We're past the point where the fear of change is outweighed by the fear of not changing."

While most people associate 3-D with either animation or projection, Cameron said that there are a variety of stereographic processes that can be introduced while shooting, during postproduction, or after a movie has been archived.

Among the films testing the various 3-D waters are Walden Media and New Line Cinema's "Journey to the Center of the Earth," which is being shot live-action with stereographic cameras; Robert Zemeckis' "Beowulf," which is employing 3-D-animated performance capture; and Walt Disney Feature Animation's computer-animated "Meet the Robinsons," which will be projected in 3-D.

The filmmaker said his interest in digital 3-D goes back to his love of movies and his love of making them for the big screen. "I'm not going to make movies for people to watch on their cell phones. To me, I'd rather go back to doing some more deep-ocean expeditions," Cameron said. "I don't want that grand, visionary, transporting movie experience made for the big screen to become a thing of the past."

Among other points made during his keynote, Cameron called to stamp out any new attempts to make anaglyph 35mm films because it only would confuse the marketplace and undermine the emergence of digital 3-D. He also noted that digital projectors combined with 3-D could be a new way for exhibitors to program live events and charge more for admissions, and he said that there is a proliferation of filmmakers who want to shoot in 3-D because it is a revolutionary form of showmanship, and directors want to create their own individual stereo aesthetics.
    What to say?

j7wild Guest
    so what's gonna look like? Like the Princess Leia hologram from R2D2 in Star Wars?

Moved from Minas Tirith!!! Direction of my new path is not so clear, but I think I'm on the way to MY SHIRE
    Credits
    Yeah! Hologram... will be real hologram!

Credits
    this is great news I mean just to see that opening shot of the original star wars in 3D will be mind blowing and king kong and titanic in 3D woah! it will be awesome

j7wild Guest
    will they eventually have adult movies in 3D too?

Credits
    http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-e...ease-date-set/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...se-date-163858

You won’t have to wait long to see Jar Jar Binks stick his tongue out at the audience. Star Wars.com has just announced that the 3D conversion of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace will hit theaters on February 10, 2012. Read the official announcement after the break.

Thanks to TheForce.Net for the heads up. Here’s the official announcement from StarWars.com:

Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox announced today that the 3D theatrical launch of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace now has an official release date — February 10, 2012! Set against the thrilling and exotic backdrop of a “galaxy far, far away,” Star Wars is perfectly suited to the immersive 3D theatrical experience, and Episode I delivers some of the Saga’s most stunning and spectacular sequences — from the Naboo invasion to the Tatooine Podraces to the climactic lightsaber battle between Darth Maul and the Jedi. Supervised by Industrial Light & Magic, the meticulous conversion is being done with utmost respect for the source material, and with a keen eye for both technological considerations and artistic intentions.

j7wild Guest
    just Lucas trying to make more money!!

He is not getting any $ from me!!

Credits
    I'm curious about these Star Wars releases. I might go and see them, but we shall see when the time draws closer. The big thing for me is that 3D movies tend to be darker than other movies and having 3D in space will make it even darker. Tron was too dark and that didn't work out so well for the 3D.

But seeing the Millennium Falcon go into warp drive might be awesome in 3D.
    Homer Simpson: "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman."

j7wild Guest
    upconverting current material to 3D is not the same as filming it in 3D

Credits
    I know...it looks worse to make 2D into 3D. But Industrial Light & Magic has mostly been ahead of the game when it comes to newest and latest technology for movies. They have been pretty innovative when it comes to movie technology. Thus I am curious to see what they do for 2012 with this technology. It could be a big step up for 2D to 3D conversion. But like I said earlier, we shall see when the time draws closer.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    upconverting current material to 3D is not the same as filming it in 3D
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by goodasgold View Post
    I know...it looks worse to make 2D into 3D.
    Not always. It all depends on how much time you take to convert the 2D to 3D. I'm sure everyone is aware of Clash of the Titans and how they did the conversion in 10 weeks? Considering how much cutting out of characters and giving them depth is needed for a feature film a good conversion takes time.

Oh and referencing to the 'conversion is worse than filmed in 3D' Avatar which many consider to be the best use of 3D to date in a live-action feature had 2D-3D converted scenes. Just saying.

Credits
    I'll stick to my 2D Blu-ray's in September.

Credits
    Pod race will look great on both, Blu-ray and 3D Cinema screen, so... I'm game

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by odj_310388 View Post
    Not always. It all depends on how much time you take to convert the 2D to 3D. I'm sure everyone is aware of Clash of the Titans and how they did the conversion in 10 weeks? Considering how much cutting out of characters and giving them depth is needed for a feature film a good conversion takes time.

Oh and referencing to the 'conversion is worse than filmed in 3D' Avatar which many consider to be the best use of 3D to date in a live-action feature had 2D-3D converted scenes. Just saying.
    You schooled me. Dammit!

Credits
    and just when you thought Jar-Jar Binks couldn't get any worse......

I really wish Hollywood would give it a rest with 3D already but of course they won't when they're making a killing off higher ticket prices.
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast