Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Question Why do most popular American TV shows last 7 seasons?

I was just randomly wondering today why do most popular American TV shows last an average of 7 seasons before being pulled? Some examples include some star trek series, the west wing, and home improvement
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    Well its nice number

I have read somewhere, that 24 will have 7 series too....

In fact I dont think that it has some deeper idea to make only 7 seasons. Its just number of series when its still interesting, but you dont wanna watch more. Fair number to stop at.
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

j7wild Guest
    The standard contract for an actor or actress when they are signed to do a TV primetime series is 7 years with the following clause:

1. if the show does well, the actors/actresses/producers have the option to renew the show after 7 years on a year by year basis provided that the parties can agree on a fee.

There are shows that went well past 7 years like E.R., Will and Grace, Seinfeld and West Wing.

2. if the show doesn't do well, the network have the right to cancel the show but if at anytime they decide to revive the show, the actors/actresses are still contractually obligated to return to the show.

Such was in the case of the famous NBC network bungling of Pierce Brosnan's Remington Steele contract in 1986 which costed Brosnan his role as James Bond in "The Living Daylights".

3. Season 1 is usually debuted as a Mid-Season replacement during the slow time of Spring or Summer and only lasts up to 12 episodes

Season 2 and on are usually 22 episodes long (for 45 mins shows - 1 hour with commercials) and 18 to 20 episodes (23 mins show - 30 min with commercials)

4. during the first 3 years of the 7 year run of the show, the actors/actresses cannot renegotiate their salary: which usually starts at an average of $20,000 per episode and if the show does really well, the salaries can skyrocket:

Example: The "Friends" cast started at $22,000 per episode during the first 2 seasons. $60,000 to $200,000 per episode from Season 3 to Season 7. By the 8th, 9th and 10th year of "Friends", each of the 6 cast members were getting $400,000, $600,000 and then $1 million respectively per episode (multiplied by 20 episodes)

That's nothing compared to Seinfeld who received over $1.3 million per episode during the final year of the show!!

That's all I know!!

Credits
    Very few shows make it past 5 years. I think its 2% of shows. So considering the low number of statistic base, I would say that any season count can get a to heavy "weight" just cuz 1 or 2 shows more than expectet hit that number (this effect really kicks in after 5-6 seasons) will tilt the curve.

However since the base is so small, you would expect just this to happen. So even if 7 seasons is "too" common -- which im not ready to buy -- its still just an statistically nececity. If its not 7 its 6 or 10 or 8 etc. It HAS to be some number. Since 7 is a number close to 5 which I will assume is the threshold for "popular" in your statment, since 98% of shows end before 5 seasons, season count 4 or below is therefor WAY WAY more comon than 7. Because of this, its not very unlikely at all that 7 would stand out. Without actually doing the math, I would say that there is about 20 percent chance of 7 being the season count thats (in percent) the most above the expected count.

That´s all I know and guess!!
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    Plus, you have to consider that seven years is a long time for an actor to play a particular character. Eventually, they will get tired of playing that character and want to move on to something else just to do something different.

Of course, they have to contrast that with the fear of being typecast as that character and not being able to get another acting job.

But for example, with MASH, only four actors (Alan Alda, Loretta Swit, Jaimie Farr and William Christopher) were in all 11 seasons, and only two (Alda and Swit) were both in the pilot episode and the series finale. The series ended mainly because Alda and Swit wanted out.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits

Question

Thanks for all the great answers everyone!

Another 2 related questions:

why is a "season" called a "series" in europe?

If the word "series" is already taken, what do you in europe call a spinoff series (like Stargate Atlantis)?

Thanks again for satisfying my random curiosity everyone!

Credits
    Um, first, let me go back to another answer to your first question that I forgot earlier.

As the series goes along, usually the actors and actresses get more money. Eventually, the amount being paid to the actors makes the show no longer profitable.

Now then, for the series vs. season question... I'm not really sure, but I do have a small theory.

I have seen a few shows that get essentially rebooted every year. The general idea may stay the same, but the cast and the location and the characters are either totally different or mostly different. In that sense, you could see that the line between a season and a series gets blurred a bit.

To be honest, I don't know if that is true of European shows, but I have seen it a lot in some shows from (or ported from) the Far East, especially in cartoons and children's shows. I first noticed it with Power Rangers, which after the first couple of seasons, has changed drastically every single year (was Power Rangers Zeo season 4 or series 2?), but I have seen it with other things as well.

And finally, no clue on your last question. Sorry.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by st39.6
    Well its nice number

I have read somewhere, that 24 will have 7 series too....
    nope.. 24 is now playing his 5th season and Sutherland sign for 3 more

-StargateSG-1 will air his 10th season in september

j7wild Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Master
    nope.. 24 is now playing his 5th season and Sutherland sign for 3 more

I like "24" but how many times can Jack Bauer save Los Angeles (and the U.S.) from Terrorists?

Furthermore, you would think that by now word would have gotten around in Terrorists circles not to attack the U.S. through Los Angeles because of Jack Bauer.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild
    how many times can Jack Bauer save Los Angeles (and the U.S.) from Terrorists?
    True... let's wait and see for season 6! this tv show is soooooooooooo cool

Credits
    yeah, Jack just rocks! I like it too

Quote Originally Posted by Granite
    why is a "season" called a "series" in europe?

If the word "series" is already taken, what do you in europe call a spinoff series (like Stargate Atlantis)?

Thanks again for satisfying my random curiosity everyone!
    I wouldnt say we call season series...we call series whole series (lol, that sounds strange). And spinoff series are just called spinoofs (Stargate was stargate, now its Stargate Atlantis...)
    ....I am afraid I just dont get your point

Moved from Minas Tirith!!! Direction of my new path is not so clear, but I think I'm on the way to MY SHIRE
    Credits
    Northern Exposure - 6 seasons
    Friends - 10