Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    j7wild Guest

Thumbs down Starship Troopers is stupid !!

When I first saw Starship Troopers at the Theater, I thought it was one of the coolest movies I'd ever seen.

Then the DVD format came out and Starship Troopers was one of the first DVD I'd ever owned; I'd even use the sound from it to calibrate my first Home Theater Digital 5.1 Home Theater system in 1999.

I had nothing to do last night and I was going through my DVDs and I decided to watch it again for the first time in about 5 years.

Now that I really put some thoughts to it; it's really a stupid movie!!

The humans in it are stupid; they have all that technology yet they go up against Bugs that are armored like Tanks with just plain old machine guns?

There was 2 scenes in the movie I wanted to see more of but NOOOOOO:

1. they bombed the Bugs with fighter-bombers (good strategy);

2. they used rocket propelled mini nuclear warheads attached to the end of their rifles to take out a Bug cave;

Now why on earth did they not use those weapons more often?

Or they should had just bombed the Bug planet back to the stone age from deep space.

Don't even get me started on the no talent cast either!!

Last edited by j7wild; 03-24-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Credits

Talking

Starship toopers is one of my favorite movies. It is, of course, utterly preposterous (less than a year to send a large asteroid across the galaxy, and totally and utterly miss it coming your way...even though you have a massive space station encricling the moon! - )

So why do I like it? Well, cause it's funny. What could be better than Ken and Barbie taking on big space alien bugs, then getting torn to pieces. If you really look at it, the movie never takes itself to seriously!

My favorite line "They sucked his brains out!" Very campy, and very fun!
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    you should watch the tv show j7wild. Its the answer to your dreams and its more related to the book as well. The best thing you'd like is all this technology is used against the bugs all the time. THere is only a squad of like 6 ppl against like 10,000 bugs each episode and you do see them kill all of them. And its not just one planet, they go from planet to planet.
    Best part, the stories are in arcs and are all linked as well.

I gotta agree tho... i only bought the DVD for it's special effects too. Love testing its sound. My fav bit is when they r all inside the compound and the leader just shouts "give 'em all u got!" then cool music and action just fills the room. All the bugs trying to get into the base but r getting blasted until the tanker comes up from beneath the leader.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Come on j7wild, this is simple no-brainer movie. Oh my bad, this is actually a brainer movie...

From Wikipedia:
    Brain Bug—Leader of a Bug colony. It is created when a colony's size reaches three hundred generations. It is hinted at in the novel that the Brain Bug is telepathic and shares a symbiotic relationship with the Bug Colony (i.e. If it dies, the colony dies). Whereas in the movie, it feeds and assimilates knowledge by drinking a human's brain, and is carried by thousands of small cockroach insects called Chariot Bugs.
    I love this movie

Credits
    I love this movie, too... I always will.

ZUBi is offline Valued Longtime Member (1971-2006)
    Credits

Lightbulb

DOH j7wild, this is satire movie, live with that

Bush, Bin Laden, Hussein, Castro: SAME $HIT

Credits
    i like it too also i wanted it to win the oscar for best vfx and not titanic. why? because the vfx in s.t. are better

Credits
    I must join this bandwagon. Great movie and really great tv series. I love the mindless killing and gore.

Credits
    yep, amazin satire movie, it is so bad that its good
    love it too
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

Credits
    You gotta hand it to those machine guns. They seem to have infinite ammo.

The portable nukes are just too dangerous. Considering the average intelligence of those grunts, it's amazing they haven't nuked themselves to death. Those weapons didn't even have secret arming codes like the bombs today have. Any old marine could grab one and play football.

As for favorite bug, I've gotta go with those giant artillery bugs that shoot blue crap into space. Pretty good aim for someone who's facing downward.
    If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

Credits
    you guys should read the book, it's really great, especially the whole fact that it reads like a Nazi recruiting story hehe.

Seriously, it has to be one of the most controversial books and is a clear blueprint of the militaristic society that isn't portrayed very well in the film (which while fun is a joke).

Credits
    It's a pity they didn't use those mechanical suits from the book. Probably would have turned out looking like ExoSquad.

Remember that cartoon?

Credits
    one of my favorite movies of all time... the "over the top rediculess action" is one of the things i love about it.. the movie knows its over the top it knows it dosent make 100% sence.. it knows its a cartoonish movie.. and it loves it.. and i love it for it..

Fed7haS
    She's just too pretty for Hollywood. I don't know, put her in a glass box and display her at the Metropolitan Museum of Art or something. - Jake on the topic of Scarlett Johansson.

Credits
    Why has no one mentioned one of the greatest entrances of a character ever for Michael Ironside. Great movie moment, it isnt even that special but seems oh so cool.
    Sgt. Johnny Beaufort: He says, "The Apaches are a great race," sir. "They've never been conquered. But it is not well for a nation to be always at war. The young men die... the women sing sad songs... and the old ones are hungry in the winter."
    Fort Apache

Credits
    Topic over. SharkmanSIX wins because it's so true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast