Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

Question Forum crashes IE browser

I don't know if the probalem only happens to me, but using IE to browse the Forum has been a pain.

With my PC at home, every time I open a thread of this Forum in a new window, it used to be like taking 1-2 minutes to load.

This evening things gets speeded up. I notice that the top banner ad is unable to load ('Action canceled'). But now whatever link I click on within my browser, IE freezes up and crashes.

To be able to post this thread, for example, I had to 1) launch IE, go to the Forum, 2) Open Technical Problem in new Window, 3) Right click New Thread icon to Post New Thread in yet another new window, 4) Sumbitting New Thread is possible, but I can't view what I've posted unless repeat 1 & 2 and open this thread in new window.

I suspect it has something to do with the banner ads, but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by editman; 08-30-2006 at 05:12 PM.

Credits
    Use another browser, there are much better ones out there.

Credits
    For me, working with Mozilla and Firefox, everything is fine.

Credits
    Firefox all the way baby
    I did have some problems with the vplaza menu a while ago but now that's solved.
    I'm a mog, half man, half dog, I am my own best friend.

Credits
    using IE all the time and works 100%. Sounds like a java or cookie problem. Try it on another PC with IE to see if it works!
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits

ie browser

I'm using IE [6] too, and am experiencing no problems other than the usual... slow modem being tied up with trailer downloads blah blah blah
    "Heart and humour and humility will lighten your heavy load"
    Joni Mitchell

j7wild Guest
    I never had any problems using IE here until a few weeks ago when Microsoft did a CRITICAL SECURITY UPDATE and then the troubles started.

It didn't apply to just this website; it applied to the whole internet.

Right Clicking a link to open a new window crashed IE to desktop.

Minimizing one Browser window to maximize another Browser window or opening a website with an Embedded Auto Playing Video crashed IE to desktop.

Trying to upload Golden Globes Pictures to the image hosting servers I use crashed IE;

or trying to copy the URL Links of the Golden Globes Pictures so I can post them in a thread here also crashed IE!!

So I switched to Firefox and everything has been fine since then:

http://www.mozilla.com

IE and Microsoft Sucks!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Kn'thrak View Post
    using IE all the time and works 100%. Sounds like a java or cookie problem. Try it on another PC with IE to see if it works!
    Looks like the case. Cos no prob browsing using IE at work (which is supposedly a more updated version).

But if it's something that can only be fixed by updating IE, I'm hesitant for taking the risk of resulting with more problems (at work, after IE gets its update, I now have to activiate QT and flash plug-ins before the start playing, which is also a pain).

And to all Firefox users: over my dead body I would switch camp to a new broswer. I can accept installing specific softwares just so it allows me watching movie trailers encoded in some half-a**, weird-a** formats. But forget about it if switching camp is the only way that would allows me to browse through someone's freaking horny junk posts, which I disdain in the first place, on a daily basis. (Besides, if I have to use a new broswer I'd rather use Netscape, which I've already installed.)

"The idea was to be a symbol. editman could be anybody, that was the point."

Trolls destroyed the Forum

my DVD/blu-ray List

Credits
    I was with you editman.. everyone kept telling me Firefox was better.. i didn't care. I didn't want to switch.

I've switched. It's better.

j7wild Guest
    Firefox is better.

I tried Avant Browser for a week after giving up on IE and then I switched to Firefox and I have not looked back!!

Death to Microsoft and IE!!

Credits
    Noooooo... they got the boss toooooo... (j/k)

So... can we safely say the Forum has been optimised for Firefox these days, hence these problems I might be encountering with IE at home (Slow DL, browser crash)?

(Another note: Except for my fellow MODs, please don't reply to this thread if you have nothing to say other than how good Firefox is and/or how bad Microsoft/IE is. If I need two-bit comments hard-selling Firefox to me, I have people at work, both online and in real life, who can do a more convincing job. I have a problem and am merely seeking suggestion to solve it. If you can't be a help, at least don't be a freaking eyesore. I don't need to be told I have to start eating stray dogs because the chicken schitzel I have for lunch tastes rotten.)
    Last edited by editman; 08-31-2006 at 04:06 AM.

Credits
    UPDATE: cleared my cookies, updated Java. Updated Flash plugin. Deinstalled and re-installed IE. Problem still exists. The interesting thing is, even in Netscape browser (which is what I'm using now) the top banner ad is still unable to load.

It's either my ISP's banning the ad, or something's preventing it to be DLed?

(So I bet even if I install the oh-so-freakin'-incredible Firefox the problem would still persist.)

Credits
    Come to my place and use my PC if you want

Credits
    Have you tried running any anti-adware programs on your computer? It is amazing how many problems adware and spyware cause on systems.

I personally recommend Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/#free) and Spybot: Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html). Both are free to use, and both work in different ways, so if one misses something it is usually picked up by the other. I do not, however, recommend running scans with both programs at the same time.

I'd like to make a couple of other comments and/or questions, but I don't want to get yelled at, so I won't.
    Last edited by corfy; 08-31-2006 at 09:41 AM. Reason: fixed url code
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    I yelled at you anyway Corfy... Didn't you hear? If someone is obviously biting their tongue I just scream "OUT WITH IT!!!"
    Last edited by Oldfart; 08-31-2006 at 02:00 PM. Reason: didnt want signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast