Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits

Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, killed by a stingray

This just in: Another 'Australian icon', immortalised in The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course and Dr. Dolittle 2, gone.

Source: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=127456

Steve Irwin killed in freak accident
    Monday Sep 4 14:00 AEST
    By ninemsn staff writers

BREAKING NEWS: Steve "The Crocodile Hunter" Irwin is dead after being attacked by a stingray during the filming of a new TV series.

The 44-year-old's chest is believed to have been pierced by the stingray barb.

He was filming an underwater documentary about 32 nautical miles off Port Douglas when the accident occurred.

According to a Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman, a Cairns ambulance chopper made an emergency flight to an island in the area at midday today.

An intensive care doctor and a paramedic attempted to revive the popular crocodile wrangler without success.

He was pronounced dead on the island, and his body is now being flown to Cairns.

Mr Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

The father of two's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He's also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.
    Never knew these are lethal creatures. So upon his death, Steve's still educating us about wildlife (sounds cruel but unintentional):

j7wild Guest
    oh no!

this is so sad and terrible;

I enjoy watching his tv show!!

Credits
    Very sad news, indeed.

I haven't seen much of his program, but my father watched him regulary on Animal Planet, I think.

Credits

Unhappy

A face to go with the name...

Was reading up on stingrays. Definitely an accident...I also note that he died doing what he loved -- getting up close and personal with the natural world. A final "Crikey!" for you Mr. Crocodile Hunter!
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

Credits
    This is such a strange accident. Apparently, the last known case of a stingray killing anyone in Australia was in the 40s. Took me totally by surprise.

R.I.P.

Credits
    Wow, may he rest in peace.
    They are still airing some his shows in our television, I always thought like "oh boy I´d never do that.. .", he must have been a bit crazy, but damn, such a death...
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

Credits
    I was under the impression that you need to bite or step on a stingray in order to be attacked, wonder what the hell he was doing.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I was under the impression that you need to bite or step on a stingray in order to be attacked, wonder what the hell he was doing.
    accidently stepped on it? Or maybe it just felt threatened.

This is seriously strange though - espically after all the really dangerous animals he's handled. His poor kids, too

Credits
    I enjoyed his show. Learned few things about the world of nature. Big loss

Credits
    R.I.P

Imo the world just lost one of the ppl that truely try to make it a better place..

Fed7haS

Credits
    All I can say about this is "Crikey Dick!" The man just took one risk too many. The world is certainly a poorer place without one of its most colourful characters
    "Heart and humour and humility will lighten your heavy load"
    Joni Mitchell

j7wild Guest
    I've been to the Grand Cayman Island to swim and feed the stingray and we were told to not get too close to their back and to stay away from their tails.

Because when they get frightened or threatened, they use their tails for defense.

From reading the several articles on the internet regarding this tragedy, Mr. Irwin was right on top of a Stingray and there was a camera in front of it and guess that frightened it and caused it to turn and use its tail for defence.

Credits
    I couldn't believe it when I heard the news. It's very sad news and sounds like a freak accident. My thoughts are with his wife and childern.

As this was being filmed, I hope that tape never sees the light of day.
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Credits
    I´m just watchin it in the news....it really is sad

Credits

Steve Irwin

Shocking and sad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast