Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

More fantasy for Peter Jackson

Peter Jackson is interested in filming the "Temeraire-saga". A historical fantasy story about dragons in the Napoleonic wars, here's the story:

Peter Jackson is eyeing his next fantasy series. The filmmaker has dipped into his discretionary fund to option "Temeraire," a historical fantasy series by first-time novelist Naomi Novik, as he puts the pieces together for his career post-"King Kong."

The "Temeraire" saga reimagines the world of the Napoleonic Wars with the addition of an air force of dragons and valiant aviators. It centers on British naval Capt. Will Laurence, who captures a French ship, where he discovers an unhatched dragon egg in the hold -- a gift from the Emperor of China intended for Napoleon. When the egg hatches, he is forced to give up his naval career to become captain of the dragon he names Temeraire.

" 'Temeraire' is a terrific meld of two genres that I particularly love -- fantasy and historical epic," Jackson said. "I can't wait to see Napoleonic battles fought with a squadron of dragons. That's what I go to the movies for."
    Jackson also is looking to take the books into the realm of interactive entertainment.

Novik was a computer programmer who did design work on a video game titled "Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide." She wrote the first "Temeraire" book in 2004. When Del Rey saw it, the publisher asked for two more books. The series was launched in the spring.

Jackson got involved when producer Lucas Foster read galleys in January and sent them to Jackson's manger, Ken Kamins at Key Creatives. When Jackson read it, he was hooked.

"As I was reading these books, I could see them coming to life in my mind's eye," Jackson said. "These are beautifully written novels, not only fresh, original and fast-paced, but full of wonderful characters with real heart."

Foster and Kamins will serve as executive producers of the movie.

Novik learned that Jackson was one of the parties interested in her fledgling series in February but was skeptical anything would happen.

"I was warned that whatever happens in Hollywood, you should assume it's 10 degrees below reality," Novik said. "So if they say Peter Jackson has it, it really means Peter Jackson's assistant's personal trainer has it. I never took it seriously until (IPG's Justin Manask) called myself and (literary agent Cynthia Manson) and said, 'Peter wants the book.' There was lot of screaming in my household when I first got the call."

To Novik, who first read J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" at age 6, having her creation in the hands of the man who brought those books to the screen is immensely reassuring.

"Those movies meant so much to me," Novik said. Jackson has not yet decided whether he will make one movie or three or if the books can be introduced by other media first. He is using his own funds to option material before approaching any studios with his plans.

In that vein, Jackson has optioned Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones" and is writing the adaptation with partners Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens on spec with the intent of speaking to distributors after the script is done. He plans to direct the movie in second-half 2007.

Novik, writing the fourth installment of the series, is repped by Cynthia Manson Literary Agency, IPG and Gang, Tyre, Ramer and Brown.

Jackson is additionally repped by Nelson, Felker.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1003120747
    I'm a mog, half man, half dog, I am my own best friend.

Credits
    Sounds like a really interesting idea, and I'm sure if he does decide to direct it, it will be worth checking out....but I was hopeing for a more low key "Beautiful Creatures"-type follow to King Kong. Oh well.

Credits

Post Official site of Naomi Novik

The official site of Naomi Novik.

This can be interesting.

Feast or Famine, by Naomi Novik, "a Temeraire-universe short story set between His Majesty's Dragon and Throne of Jade", two of the books by Novik, available on this site.

Also, there is a mailing list you can subscribe from there.

Info on wikipedia. From there:

The Hollywood Reporter reports that Peter Jackson, director of Lord of the Rings series, has optioned the rights to the historical fantasy series "Temeraire", even though just days ago, MGM expresses an interest in having Jackson get behind the camera for The Hobbit, a prequel to his billion-dollar The Lord of the Rings series [1].
    Last edited by jmcc; 10-12-2006 at 03:41 PM. Reason: To add Feast or Famine link and the info about the mailing list. Again to add the wikipedia link :)

Credits
    He should have done eragon. But I guess that was never going to happen

Credits
    I just came across the books in my favorite bookstore, I'm thinking of reading them. I love these kind of fantasy stories.