Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

German Tourists and Flying Cars

I found this video on youtube that cracks me up: I mean, I’d be blown away if I saw flying cars too, but I wouldn’t immediately say that I have to show my Mutti. I’m trying not to be stupid, but, uh, are there actually flying cars? And do they only have them in Hollywood, or what?

j7wild Guest
    that's a TV commercial!!

Credits
    I still remember a TV commercial with Avery Brooks a few years ago, with him standing on a bridge with rush hour traffic going behind (over the bridge):

It's the year 2000. Where are the flying cars? I was PROMISED flying cars!
    I don't remember what the commercial was for (so from that standpoint, I guess the commercial was a failure), but I will always remember that line.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    that's a TV commercial!!

It is? What for? I thought at first it might be, but the cars are all different kinds. There's another one on youtube:

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolentChick View Post
    It is? What for? I thought at first it might be, but the cars are all different kinds.
    The commercial is for GM, which is a blanket over many car companies: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, Hummer, Oldsmobile (now defunct), Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and Vauxhall.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by corfy View Post
    The commercial is for GM, which is a blanket over many car companies: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, Hummer, Oldsmobile (now defunct), Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and Vauxhall.
    Wow I didn't realize GM had that many companies. Crazy. I just googled GM and flying cars, here's what I found: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/futuretechtoday/

Credits
    Wow I didn't realize GM had that many companies.
    I didn't either, but that is what Wikipedia is for.

Credits
    What do you think about that angelfire site?

Credits
    What do you think about that angelfire site?
    Reminds me of UFO sites, although in this case, I think it has less credibility. I'd be more likely to believe that we have been visited by aliens from another planet than GM is developing normal-looking cars that can fly without anyone knowing about it (except this one website, of course).

From the site:

Well, maybe you haven't followed some of the incredible advances in transportation technology, like I have. I'm talking about things like Maglev ('Magnetic Levitation'), or other advances, like hover technology. If you've been out of the loop, then these accounts of Flying Cars probably seem like complete sci-fi to you.
    Well, I have kept up reasonably well with the advances in Maglev and hover technology (they were talking about putting a "bullet train" through the town I was living in a few years back... don't know what happened to that plan), but neither can explain what they are supposedly showing. And BTW, Maglev still needs a track to follow. Whatever transportation vehicle is being talked about (usually a train) hovers centimeters or less over the specially-made track, not 50 feet in the air over a common roadway.

Credits
    lol yeah, I hear you. Though I'd be ready to believe that GM is developing flying cars, but that website doesn't make me believe it. I thought it was pretty creative though, for an ad campaign. I wish they'd put in maglev tracks in the sky...

Credits
    For some reason, that website also reminds me of a website I found a long time ago talking about the dangers of "dihydrogen monoxide": http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are:

* Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
    * Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
    * Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
    * DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
    * Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
    * Contributes to soil erosion.
    * Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
    * Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
    * Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    * Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
    * Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere.
    * Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.
    For those not aware, "Dihydrogen Monoxide" means H20, aka water

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    that's a TV commercial!!

Whats the diff it's funny
    Don't point that finger at me unless you intend to use it.
    The Odd Couple

Credits
    They are ads for GM's new 100,000 mile warranty.
    http://www.gm.com/
    There are no flying cars.

Credits
    100,000 mile warranty!? That's crazy. My car is 15 years old and doesn't have 100,000 miles on it. Not sure if the ads make me want to buy GM, but that deal sure does. Anyone wanna buy me a Hummer?

Credits
    My Oldsmobile (GM) is 12 years old and has 130,000+ miles.

Of course, that racked up quickly for the six months that I was making a 43 mile one-way trip to commute to work each day.