Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    j7wild Guest

Exclamation Today's M-L History Lesson: Chernobyl - 20+ years after !!

“In matters nuclear one thing is certain: there is no protection in an iron curtain.” A letter in The Times May 3rd, 1986.

On the 26th of April 1986 shortly after midnight, to be precise, at 1:23 GMT, there occurred near the Ukrainian town of Chornobyl a tremendous explosion at a huge nuclear power plant, followed by a gradual meltdown of the reactor No. 4.

Chornobyl is situated 80 miles north-west of Kiev, the ancient capital of Ukraine and the Soviet Union’s third largest city.

It was by far the worst nuclear reactor accident ever, which immediately sent a radioactive cloud across neighbouring Byelorussia, Poland and the Baltic Republics towards Scandinavia.

Within days, borne by shifting winds, radioactive mists wafted beyond Soviet borders and spread across most of Europe causing anxiety, apprehension and fear.

The most badly affected were the Republics of Ukraine and Byelorussia. They suffered large scale involuntary irradiation, due to extensive secrecy, and great economic damage. Furthermore the contaminated air mass passed over large areas of Poland and also over parts of Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania and Yugoslavia and a number of West European countries.

Till now the land is abandoned, thousands of houses, thousands acres of the land, everything is now stays almost the same as it was 20 years ago.
    for the rest of the article and photographs, go to:

http://englishrussia.com/?p=293

Credits
    whats weird is that u can go visit there. No security to stop u which is weird! Not the facility but the area!
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    That's just the way things work in the old Soviet Union, there's a chemical and biological weapons lab in Kazahstan that you could've walked into without a problem until the US sent a containment team in the mid 90s.

j7wild Guest
    I am always worried someone is going to walk into a Nuclear/Biological/Chemical weapon storage area unchallenged in the former Soviet Union and walk out with several weapons and then sell them to terrorists!!

Credits
    Those pictures are creepy as hell. I read the link before I went to bed last night and guess what I dreamt about. Kinda weird. I spent the day reading about the disaster as I was 8 at the time and don't remember it.
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Credits
    Looks like Silent Hill

Credits

Chernobyl

It is for crying...

The images are very interesting. It seems like a time travel. Have you noticed how much the world has changed from that time?

Some perspectives of the city makes me to remember images from an 80s Intourist guide I had once.

There is a lesson on this. I remember to have read declarations from a high Soviet military representative to the West countries:

In Chernobyl we had an accident. I don't want even to imagine what will happen if we have a nuclear war.
    Thank you j7wild for this very interesting link.

Edit: Chernobyl nuclear plant satellite image, from Google Earth:

(source)
    Last edited by jmcc; 11-09-2006 at 03:43 PM. Reason: To add GE image

Credits

Unhappy Chernobyl

More images and videos here (sorry, article in Spanish).

Ukraine's president have requested international help to build a new cover over reactor number 4 and to study what to do with the other reactors, because it still have nuclear fuel.

Credits

Unhappy dennis.bittnerowski's Chernobyl galleries on flickr.com

Dennis Bittnerowski's images of Chernobyl, taken by himself on trips there:

Flickr.com Dennis Bittnerowski's galleries

Thanks to Google Earth Community

j7wild Guest

Exclamation

Ok Jmcc:

those clouds look scary and ominous!!

Are they always like that over Chernobyl?

Credits
    It's the Ukraine, even the clouds are depressing.

lol

Credits
    Those pictures look to be HDR which would explain why they look a little dramatic.

Credits

Post Chernobyl

Quote Originally Posted by chernabog_ca View Post
    Those pictures look to be HDR which would explain why they look a little dramatic.
    Sorry chernabog_ca, it is true. 5 of the six images above are HDR. Bittnerowski says that on his galleries. I don't know what means HDR, by the way.

Credits
    HDR - High Dynamic Range. It's a technique that increases the range between light and dark in a picture. You take different pictures of the same subject at different exposures (proper, over and under). You then use software afterwards to combine them. Gives a very dramtic image when done right.

Credits
    ^The new NVIDIA cards can do that in games, I can't wait for the effects once you get DX10 and HDR GPUs working together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast