Thanks Thanks:  0
    j7wild Guest

Talking Flying is still the safest form of Transportation: BLAH !!

Yeah If you believe that I have some prime Real Estate on Mars I want to sell you !!

Credits
    So what is the safest form? Cars? HA!

http://www.performancecollisioninc.com/cool_wrecks.htm

As a former police reporter, I have been to dozens of car accidents, many of which involved severe injury and/or death (the last one involving an SUV crossing the median of an Interstate and hitting a Greyhound bus nearly head-on), but I have never covered a single airplane accident (the closest that I came were two separate skydiving accidents, but that town had a skydiving business).
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    Flying is safer! Simple as that. If you don't believe or understand that, then you haven't been properly educated

Credits
    Cars and planes are exactaly equal in the ammount of accidents they have imo. Think about it like this....

Say there are 100 cars in the world. (I understand were thinking small here but just go with it)
    And there are 10 planes in the world. (There are obviously more cars than planes in the world)
    Each year there are 10 crashes for cars.
    And each year there is 1 crash for planes.

Now automaticaly you think "Oh planes are safer, they crash less." But in actual fact because the ammount of times that planes are used compared with cars they are not safer at all, because if there were more of them and they were being used just as much as cars were then they would have more crashes.

I hope that made some sence, I'm no good when it comes to explaining things.

Credits
    taken from http://www.fearless-flight.com/fligh...statistics.php:

Your chances of being involved in an aircraft accident are about 1 in 11 million. On the other hand, your chances of being killed in an automobile accident are 1 in 5000. Statistically, you are at far greater risk driving to the airport than getting on an airplane. However, the perception is that you have more control over your fate when you are in your car than as a passenger. Experience shows otherwise considering that over 50,000 people are killed on the highways every year.
    Taken from http://www.geocities.com/khlim777_my/ashowsafe1.htm:

It has been said that the safety record for commercial flying in the United States is one of the safest in the world. Arnold Barnett, a statistician from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology noted that the death risk was 1 in 2 million in the decade from 1967 to 1976. It is estimated that the risk today is in the region of 1 in 10 millions.

Compare these to the more down-to-earth transportation - the motorways or the railways. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) stated that your chances of being killed in a motorcar accident is 1 in 5,000. If you decide to travel by train, your odd of dying due to a train crash is reduced to around 1 in 400,000. In an airplane, it varies from 1 in 400,000 to 1 in 10,000,000 depending on the reputation of the airlines you are going to travel on.
    To convince you further, let’s compare flying to traveling by automobiles. According to National Transportation Safety Board, using 1994 as a year to make these 2 comparisons, scheduled commercial airlines had a death rate of 0.04 per hundred million passenger miles. The same rate for automobile was 0.86. So traveling by automobile is 21 times more dangerous than air travel!

In terms of the number of deaths, the comparative figures are more disturbing. In 2000, commercial airplanes fatalities were only 878. By contrast, five times as many people died in boating accidents and accidents involving bicycles. Nearly 10 times as many people died in swimming accidents and about 41,900 were killed in automobiles accidents!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by odj_310388 View Post
    Cars and planes are exactaly equal in the ammount of accidents they have imo. Think about it like this....

your thinking is correct, but your numbers is way way of. Flying is the safest way to travel.
    "A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." / Carl Sagan

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
    Flying is safer! Simple as that. If you don't believe or understand that, then you haven't been properly educated
    Short and tp the point. =)

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by odj_310388 View Post

Say there are 100 cars in the world. (I understand were thinking small here but just go with it)
    And there are 10 planes in the world. (There are obviously more cars than planes in the world)
    Each year there are 10 crashes for cars.
    And each year there is 1 crash for planes.

Now automaticaly you think "Oh planes are safer, they crash less." But in actual fact because the ammount of times that planes are used compared with cars they are not safer at all, because if there were more of them and they were being used just as much as cars were then they would have more crashes.

I hope that made some sence, I'm no good when it comes to explaining things.

You are sooooo totaly wrong there. Even if you would equalize the amount of plane-use with car-use then you would still have much less accidents with planes than with cars.
    I'm a mog, half man, half dog, I am my own best friend.