Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    j7wild Guest

Exclamation Monster House is not for kids !!

I just saw this movie today at the $1 movie theater (50 cents Tuesdays ^_^ ) and it's definitely not for kids.

Yet I am amazed at how many parents took their kids to it and afterward want to b*itch (one even sought ought the Theater Manager) about the movie having sequences that were too intense for kids and references to adult themes and situation.

The movie is rated Rated PG for scary images and sequences, thematic elements, some crude humor and brief language.

Don't some of these parents read the rating?

Just because it's an animated movie; it doesn't automatically makes it suitable for ALL Children of ALL AGES.

You wouldn't take a child to see Heavy Metal, would you?

I would say if the child is under 8 or 9 years old, parents should use discretion and sometime, it also depends on the child because some are more mature than others.

If you go to IMDB.com and read the board for this film, you will see several ranting and upset parents complaining about this movie!!

Credits
    You are right. I saw this movie and it is definitive not for children and kids under 10 or 12. But I like it very much.

Credits
    uh...yeah. my son (who is 5) had a blast at this movie. it didn't bother him in the least. maybe the complaining parents should have spent more time with their children and have them understand how entertainment works....
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    yeah i thought the movie was great!! but when watching it.. i did ask myself whether i wud have enjoyed this film as a child or not... and i gota say yes!! i use to watch movies like this all the time back den... I loved the fact that the film felt really old school! summat outa the good 80's style flicks

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    ...If you go to IMDB.com and read the board for this film, you will see several ranting and upset parents complaining about this movie!!...
    That's why I always watch the movie first before taking my kids to see it. Every kid is different to some it might be scary, to others not, who's the best person to decide if a movie is ok for their kids, their parents.
    I know my kids, and I never take them to see a movie that I never saw it before. Even the most obvious movies addressed to kids can have something that might not be suitable for kids.

Why don't we just finish the job by flushing our brains down the toilet?

My DVD Collection

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by htitos View Post
    That's why I always watch the movie first before taking my kids to see it. Every kid is different to some it might be scary, to others not, who's the best person to decide if a movie is ok for their kids, their parents.
    I know my kids, and I never take them to see a movie that I never saw it before. Even the most obvious movies addressed to kids can have something that might not be suitable for kids.
    words to live by....nicely put. anyone who gets upset over this movie (read: the parents who are complaining over at IMDB) ... then they only have themselves to blame.

Credits
    Yeah, it amazes me how many parents bring their young children to a PG movie (and sometimes even PG-13 movies) and then complain that the content wasn't appropriate for their children.

Although, considering the wide variety of content in PG movies, I wonder if maybe we don't need another rating, somewhere between PG and PG-13? Maybe like PG-8 or something? I have seen a number of PG movies that were too much for, say, most 5-year-olds, but not strong enough to warrant a PG-13 rating. Unfortunately, Parents seem to equate PG with G, which is not the case.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

j7wild Guest

Exclamation

I remember I went to see High Tension and this parents took their 3 kids who couldn't had been older than 5 to 12 years old into the movie.

The kids were screaming and crying and the parents just sat there and watched the movie all the way to the end.

Totally unbelievable!!

Credits
    Something similar happened here and the media created a big fuss about it, because it was a TV producer with his kids ages 5 and 7 watching Final Destination 3.

Credits
    this IS a kids movie, just not one for overly sensitive young kids, or little babies. theres no swearing or bad messages in this film, so its perfectly ok for young children to watch. you DEFINATELY can NOT say that this is an adult (or teen and up) film, because its way too corny and childish to be targetted at the older groups.

so yeah. id say its a kiddie film... and not a particularily good one at that.

Credits
    I think as a parent, it's your responsibility to know what your child can handle. Film ratings are a guideline, not the end to the argument. In the end, if you know your kid is scared of the boogeyman and the like, you should not take them to a movie above a giant, monsterous house. If you know your kid gets distressed at emotional moments, don't take them to films like Seabiscuit. It's that simple. Oh and read about the film. ScreenIt.com, KidsInMind, anything!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I think as a parent, it's your responsibility to know what your child can handle.
    I agree, but it seems like parents don't want that responsibility. They want the government, the Ratings board, and the movie and TV studios to take responsibility for what their children see. They want to be able to turn the TV or movie theater into a babysitting service and not take responsibility for anything that the child may or may not watch.

j7wild Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I think as a parent, it's your responsibility to know what your child can handle.
    I'm still suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrom from watching Bambi when I was 4 years old and I will never forgive my Father for it!!

Then there is that movie about a boy and a baby deer!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    I'm still suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrom from watching Bambi when I was 4 years old and I will never forgive my Father for it!!
    That reminds me of a radio skit I heard one time. Gary Burbank out of WLW 700 AM in Cincinnati, Ohio, does several different characters as part of his radio show. One of them is a "Redneck Commentary" from a guy called "Earl Pitts". I have a commentary on tape where he talked about watching Bambi in the theaters:

Remember when Bambi's mother got one right between the eyes? Everyone got all misty eyed. Except me. I jumped up and yelled "Nice Shot!"

I got pelted with so much popcorn Orville Redenbacher still gives me nightmares.

But what they didn't show was right before Bambi's mother (Jane Doe was her name, you see) met her maker, she dashed in front of a tour bus scaring the daylights out of 17 sweet, little gray-haired grandmas.

But now Pearl won't let me go hunting because she is worried about cruelty to animals. Sheesh, what a world.

Credits
    this is a topic that really grinds my gears! Its parents and the various ratings systems on our entertainment. Its the parents responsibily to make the right choices for there childern and that is what the ratings systems are for so you can gage what is best for your child. Now I have not seen Monster House I wanted to when it came out in theaters but I didn't have the time but I will rent it sooner then later. Now the movie is rated PG and acording to the MPAA "PG: Parental Guidance Suggested - Some Materal May Not Be Suitable For Childern" there is also a bigger explanation but that is the main jist of it and look it says May Not Be Suitable For Childern it doesn't say it is and it doesn't say it isn't it just says "use your own judgement" I agree with others that different kids mature and can handle/except thing differently just because it is an animated movie doesen't mean it is for kids and that is the problem people see and animated movie and they immediately think it is a cute cartoon and cartoon's are for kids, but that is wrong not all "cartoons" are for kids and that is one thing people are going to have to learn. j7wild makes a good example using Heavy Metal and I can think of a many more examples but sticking with Heavy Metal as an example I wouldn't let my kids what that if they were 7-8 I would not feel comfortable with it but when they were older they could.

Now I also seen the "negligent theater parent" as I call it in the theater at times when I went to see Hannibal there was a couple there with what I persumed was there son and he looked to only be 8 - 9 and I though it wasn't the best thing to be bringing a child of that age in to see a film like that. also just recently when I went to see The Omen (2006) there was a man there with what appeared to be his 7-8 year old daughter, now I personally would not bring my child of that young age to movies such as these because I think it would reflect negatively on my parenting ability, I would not want people to think I was a bad parent by bringing my young child to an R-rated movie. Now in my own home it could be quite different, if my child asked to see a R-rated movie on video such as these I would consider it I am not saying I would say yes but I would give them the "I'll think about it" answer that my parents gave me alot when I was little and with films such as Hannibal & The Omen my decision would probably be different since I have seen these films rather then something I haven't seen.

Also this whole ratings thing has affected other forms of entertainment such as video games especially with the Grand Theft Auto "Hot coffie" thing. The game was rated "M" which in my view is the same as an "R" for movies. The M for Video Games means "Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older." this does not mean you give it to a 8 year old to play. but as soon as a parent notices that this not suitable for their child, who do they blame? the video game industry of course! and out comes the torches and pitch forks and people saying stupid things like "Video Games are ruining the youth of the nation and the world as a whole! these peddlers of sex and violence must be stopped and held acountable!!"

In the end it is the parents choice what they expose their childern to. They cry for a ratings system to give them control over what their childern watch or play and in the end they do not use it and when their childern are exposed to something that they deem unsuitable they should have no right to complain! because they are the ones who took them to see that movie or let them watch that DVD/TV show or play that game. It is the parents choice and if they do not want to make good informed decisions concerning their childern it is their own damn fault and no one elses!! Thank you and good day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast