Thanks Thanks:  19

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits

Question New computer: RAM memory modules for PC and other questions

I am getting problems with my desire of having a computer. First, computer prices have gone up two times here in Venezuela since the last message about my plans of having one was published in this forum, so maybe I will buy a less powerful machine because the money I have is still the same

This apart, the store I originally chose sells computers assembled by their technicians, I mean no brands. I knew this but what puts me angry is that they sell good parts (Intel motherboard, Intel processor, Hitachi HDD) with generic RAM memory modules (Titan they told me), so I get unsure about what to do.

If someone can help me with this, thank you. What I have to do: buy that Titan RAM memory or look for something better?

I also want to know your opinion about the quality of these PC components:

- Hitachi 160 GB HDD, SATA
    - DVD+R/RW -R/RW unit, LG, I suppose DL, internal IDE (in the future I will buy a CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives)
    - Intel D102GGCL motherboard (with no FireWire I believe)
    - Generic case
    - Power supply (how many watts would be better)

Another question. I believe I will buy a Pentium D 820 processor at 2.8 GHz but I want to know which processor is better:

- Pentium D 945 3.4 GHz or
    - Core 2 Duo at 1.86 GHz

The price diference between those 2 processors is around 50 US$ so I am curious, since the Core 2 Duo is a new technology. Also, in a HD-DVD thread bendermac said something like that Core Duo processors were enough for that X-Box 360 HD-DVD add-on to work, but a Pentium 4 needs to be over 3 GHz for the same thing. So, bendermac specify no clock speed for the Core Duo but said the speed needed for the Pentium 4 processor to work with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bendermac View Post
    ...as for cpu, a 3.2ghz with hp should the least i think. core duo would be better...
    The Dell dilemma. For a while I was considering to buy a Dell system from their Dimension desktop family. After all, it will come with original Windows XP with a promotion to get Vista free. Also, they were gifting one 17" Dell TFT and double HDD space (to get 160 GB). All that for around 659 US$.

But there is no more offers like this by now and taking taxes and S&H, I don't know if I can pay it.

Apart of this, there are disgusting things on the Dell systems: only 2 PCI slots, 1 PCIe x1 and one PCIe x16. Apparently, you can't order without any version of MS Office or MS Works. And the power supply is 305 watts.

Well, the question is: What do you think about Dell computers?

OS questions. Reading all the info on the Dell site, I was asking to myself what do you think about Windows XP Home and Media Center editions. Also it will be interesting to know your thoughts about the upcoming Vista and its versions.

I will try to buy Windows XP but I believe I will use one GNU/Linux distribution.
    Last edited by jmcc; 12-17-2006 at 04:43 PM.