Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Credits

Smile New components

New components bought yesterday:

- Intel Desktop Board D946GZISSL (intel.com overview):

(source)

- Creative SBS-380 2.1 speakers:

(source)

Looking now for an ATX 2.2 power supply and TAC 1.1 chassis that have to meet PCG 06 requirements.
    Last edited by jmcc; 05-31-2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: May 31, 2007: To add motherboard image

j7wild Guest
    have you considered getting the rest by mail online?

Credits

New computer by mail

Maybe I would like to do that but I don't know how much will be the price including taxes and I don't know also if I can be robbed at some point of the mail delivery, so I want to avoid it.

Otherwise I will be using that system because it can give me just what I want.

By the way, yesterday I found the LiteOn DVD writer model that can record and read DVD-RAM discs in another store It is named SuperAllWriter.

Credits

Post New computer: RAM memory bought

Yesterday I bought a RAM module, Kingston Value RAM, 512 MB, DDR2, PC533 (KVR533D2N4/512, can't find 667).

Who would say? It seems that the hardest thing to find will be the chassis and the power supply

Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    have you considered getting the rest by mail online?

Now I am thinking on this possibility, j7wild. If I can't found PCG 06 chassis (TAC 1.1) and power supply (ATX 2.2) I will study that more seriously.
    Last edited by jmcc; 03-23-2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Small correction and memory model

Credits

Smile New computer: new components

Bought on the past days: 250 GB Western Digital SATA HDD and, due to budget limits, BenQ basic multimedia keyboard and optical mouse (I want a Microsoft Natural Keyboard but no money by now ).

I will put the exact models here in the future

Credits

Post New components

At last, I bought the case: Cooler Master Mystique 631, black (RC-631-KKN1-GP, bought on March 9, 2007).

(source, official page at coolermaster.com, reviews: Phoronix, 3DGameMan)

Video review, also from 3DGameMan:

Other components:

- Sony 3.5" floppy disk drive, model MPF920-Z/161

(source)

- Sony Multi-Card reader/writer, model MRW620-2/121 (both bought on February 1st, 2007)

(source, bigger version from pcgatecomputer.com)

Also good news, I have found some ATX 2.2 power supply units models, but they don't have it at the stores now (I need to deposit the money first) and they have told me that the boxes come opened. Brands I have found: Cooler Master and ThermalTake. A member of a Venezuelan forum has told me not to buy ThermalTake (without saying why). I have an inclination for Cooler Master and its iGreen line. Precissely, the model I have found here is the iGreen 600, with impressive features as you can read on the link. But my question is: with a motherboard with only one PCIe x16 port, one PCIe x1 and two normal PCI ports, what is the amount of power I will need? 430, 500 or 600W? Having only one PCIe x16 port means, of course, no SLI and no CrossFire.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by jmcc; 07-04-2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: To add the Cooler Master page for the case

Credits
    also star looking at graphic cards with HDMI connectors and at least 256mb RAM for the video.... make yourself ready for HD and Vista :-)
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6324/fightclubmlzq1.jpg

Credits

Post H D M I and C R T Gateway monitor

Thanks trailergod. But, do I need a new monitor for the HDMI connector? I believe yes.

Once I did a thread about HDCP. Maybe you may want to say something about it. That thread is here.

Yesterday I forget to say that on March 15, 2007, I bought an used 19" Gateway CRT monitor, model VX900, refurbished.

(source)

(source)

This CRT monitor was made by Hitachi.

Credits
    yeah, u´ll need new monitor for HDMI, I dont think they make a CRT with HDMI at all (thinking bout it since HDMI is digital and CRTs work with analog signal, it woulda b quite nonsense after all....)
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

Credits
    I just replaced my motherboard and CPU last week, putting in a 4000+ AMD Athlon 64. I'm just delaying building a whole new PC until the NVIDIA 8800 becomes cheaper, it's the only DX10 card so I'll hold off on any more upgrades until I can get that card.

Credits
    Yea well I have my PC still pretty much doin what I want it to, so my desktop stays same for a quite while I guess ... at least one more year. I dont personally think I´m gonna need to upgrade it anymore. It works well with CoD2 which I play, it handles encoding of vids quite well, Adobe Premiere (and Photoshop) works great too, 720p high-bitrate vidz in x264 take only 30% of CPU (especially works great with latest CoreAVC codec ) and thats pretty much everythin I need ...
    For BR I´m gonna buy PS3 lately, so no need to get HD card or stg.

I´m more workin to get my laptop finally (I´ll go for the more expensive one), so new/upgraded desktop is not important 4 me anymore...

Credits

Post Video cards

What I don't like about the new (and not so new) video cards is its refrigeration system: too big. If you want the video card then you will loose one port on your motherboard.

One of those video cards on my PC implies the "death" of the PCIe x1 port, which BTW I don't know for what it can serve but since I only have 2 more ports (normal PCI) I would not like to loose it.

I have seen video cards with passive refrigeration systems on magazines (based on liquid metal technology), but how much it can cost? And I don't remember for sure if this solution will take no more space over an extra port.

The other thing I have not clear is: What brand is better, nVidia or ATi? Because I have seen here video cards with more RAM from ATi at the same price as some models from nVidia with half that memory (I don't remember models now).

Credits
    its not really only about RAM, its about technology its created with, about speeds in RAM, about the pipelines (lol, hope its right here...somehow like that is it called) and lately bout HD HW support/acceleration
    Its like everywhere else .... half sayz nVidia is best, second half stays with ATi .... I stay with the second one

Credits
    I say NVIDIA, especially if you're running an AMD CPU system. They tend to outperform ATI just a bit but the big thing is that there's more software and hardware configured for NVIDIA than ATI.

Video Cards have become all about shader models and NVIDIA always looks at that in vid cards while ATI consistantly stays behind pissing people off who have good video cards but an old shader model.

Credits

Question CoolerMaster and Thermaltake power supply units

Sorry because this has take so much time, but a combination of poor quality attention at Venezuelan stores and lack of money myself have made me into it.

I just want to ask a thing: the only component needed to start to use my computer that I have still not bought is the power supply unit. What I have found in stores is pure generic PSUs with brands like Agiler, DeLux, One and others I don't remember now. I believe those PSUs are bad quality (a guy once told me that he opened one and found rests of human blood and hair inside ).

The better things I have found until now are PSUs from the next brands: CoolerMaster and Thermaltake, and I want to know if someone here have experience with those brands, because I have read that those are not so good and, for example, in the case of the CoolerMaster I have read in a Venezuelan forum that if you connect a good graphic card, the PSU will not respond and the computer will go off or start to behave bad. So I want to know what do you think.

I don't want to buy online from another country because I don't have credit card and the process to get dollars here maybe complicated due to government's laws.

So I ask sorry again and will wait to see if anyone can give me a hint

By the way, I have a second 19" CRT, Nec MultiSync E900+. It was bought before the Gateway but due to and accident when it was being transported in a taxi, I bought the second one thinking that the first was bad. But some weeks ago I connected it to the APC UPS I have and put it on and it worked, giving no signal because it was not connected to any PC, but getting on without any noticeable problem, so I believe it is working fine.

Now a question: someone told me that there are models of DVD players that have a connection for a PC monitor, so you can connect it to a PC monitor and use it like a TV to play movies from the player. I want to know if this is true.

Another question: Is there something interesting that I can do with two CRTs on one computer? Take in count that I will use Linux almost for sure. Do you know graphic cards with connection for two monitors or these CRTs are too old for today's standards?

Thanks a lot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast