Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Post Question for webmasters

I realize this is a little silly to ask in a movie trailer forum, but I have a question for any webmasters (and I know the people here well enough that I trust you guys for advice). What program (or programs) do you use on your website? (Obviously, Movie-List uses vBulletin for the forum, not sure about the rest of it.)

I have usually stuck with coding my own HTML pages on a program like Notepad, but then started using the online program WordPress to power a blog (which I haven't updated in a year and a half) and I use Gallery to handle my pictures. Consequently, it looks like I really have three different sites rather than one site.

Then I started to build a sample website for my homeowner's association. I started out with a forum, but then I was able to add blogs, galleries, chat room, an articles section, downloads area, and several other features all integrated into one administration area, creating a complete community site and everything looked like it belonged together. (No word yet on whether the Homeowner's Association will go with my sample site or not... either I will hear from them this week or late next month, not sure which.)

I started thinking maybe something like that would be better for my site (but without the forum, or at least with a downplayed forum). Not only would it look better (and not so 1990s), but it would be easier to administrate. At the very least, I wanted to keep the blog, gallery, and some type of "static" pages (articles, wikis, etc., preferably in with some way of categorizing them). Other features depends on what is available.

So I started to do some research. At first, I was excited because I found several things that did what I wanted, and a lot of it for free (free is my favorite price).

Then I started getting a headache sorting through all of the various options.

I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with this kind of thing and if you recommended anything or recommended I stay away from anything.

As it is, I'm kinda leaning toward Joomla!, but I have not made up my mind yet.

Then again, if you use software that is offline only, I would be interested in that as well. I have tried a couple of programs, but none of them really seem to do what I want. I am currently using Nvu to help out on my church's website, but I have worked with some commercial programs before.

But the tenth anniversary of my website is coming up. It has grown a lot since it started as a glorified list of bookmarks on GeoCities, but it is time to make some serious changes (not sure I have time to make all of the changes by the actual anniversary date, but I'm the only one who knows what the date is (and I have only a vague idea down to about half a month of when I actually started it), so it isn't that critical. Also, the third anniversary of moving my site off of GeoCities is coming up. That I know the date.

BTW, if anyone sees this post as a blatent spam post, let me know and I will be happy to take the links and software names out, but the question is legitamate. I just figured the links would add reference to the post (and they are all free software anyway, except for vBulletin).
    Last edited by corfy; 12-26-2006 at 01:51 PM. Reason: fix link
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection