Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

My New M1 Garand

1945 of these special editions were made by the Springfield Armory in celebration of the 60th anniversary of Iwo Jima. I am now the proud owner of # 1424 of 1945.

j7wild Guest
    Does it fire live rounds?

The 5 rounds clips that you road from the bottom or the 5 rounds in a strip that you load from the top?

Credits
    Oh yeah, it's a functional rifle, but I'll never fire it. And it loads from the top.

j7wild Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hicks View Post
    Oh yeah, it's a functional rifle, but I'll never fire it. And it loads from the top.
    ohhhh now that's an AUTHENTIC EXACT REPLICA of a M1 Garand... how much was it and do they have anymore?

Credits
    After taxes it was $1818.95.

Where I bought it, I go all the time, in fact I've purchased a total of 3 firearms from them and it was the only one they had. They didn't have it last week and he told me they get a hold of one a few times a year so I couldn't pass it up.

It'll be worth so much more than what I paid not too far down the road. Only 1945 of them were made.

j7wild Guest
    may be too late to get one...

let me check with my local dealers.

thanks

Credits
    Very nice indeed. Quite honestly I never liked this model because its magazine limited its functionality as an infantry weapon. I fired a modified variant of the M1 at a firing range and just thought the constant reloading was cumbersome. On the other hand the accuracy on this thing is superb, if you put a scope on it it's a pretty good sniper rifle.

I have my grandfather's Karabiner 98K with a 1944 scope on it although the thing hasn't been fired in decades.

Congrats on a great purchase, it's a very nice piece of American history.

j7wild Guest
    you know they do say that this model of the M1 Garand won World War 2!!

Credits
    True, I think it's a fine weapon, I simply think its clip is its only drawback.

j7wild Guest
    the regular U.S. Army "G.I. Joe" in World War 2, who was armed with an M1 Garand, carried the standard load of 60 rounds of ammo.

that may not sound like much but the U.S. Infantry by 1944 had strength in overwhelming numbers over the Nazis.

Credits
    Hard to imagine only carrying 60 rounds. The basic load now for the M-4/M-16 is 210 rounds.

Credits
    Well considering burst divides your ammo by three it looks about the same in terms of "trigger squeezes."

I just think it's gotta be a nightmare being shot at by Japanese machine guns and all you've got is a single shot which you have to reload all the time. If it was trench warfare (for which it was designed) that would be one thing but getting stuck in a Pacific jungle with an 8 round gun is something else entirely.

I love the fact that this design is more than 80 years old and yet the M21 is of the same design and it's still in active service.

Credits
    Burst is only used to gain fire superiority (sp?). Then single shot is the perferred method.