Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Thumbs down NFL is cracking down on Super Bowl parties

With the local football team competing in this weekend's Super Bowl, the NFL is cracking down on parties.

From the Indianapolis Star:
    Churches in Indiana and across the country are scrapping traditional Super Bowl viewing parties in wake of the NFL’s stance that mass viewings of the game on big screen TV’s would violate copyright law.

The issue came to light Thursday when the Star reported that the NFL had told Fall Creek Baptist Church in Indianapolis that its plans for a Super Bowl watch party in front a big screen TV would be illegal.
    NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Thursday the league stands by its interpretation of copyright law and would look into any violators that comes to the league’s attention. The main concern for the league, Aiello said, is groups that charge admission to watch games and those that use a TV screen larger than 55 inches to show the game.

A story about Fall Creek’s plan to cancel its game viewing plans prompted dozens of calls and more than 500 email comments to the Star’s website Thursday. Aiello said media from around the country have been inquiring with the league as well.

In Indianapolis, home of the AFC Champion Colts, Indian Creek Christian Church and Castleton United Methodist Church are among those who have cancelled plans to watch the game in their churches.

The issue came to light after the NFL confronted Fall Creek about its promotion of a “Super Bowl Bash” at the church that would bring together congregation members to watch the game with a projection TV.

Aiello said the league has a longstanding policy against “mass out-of-home viewings” of the Super Bowl, even if the hosts don’t charge admission. The NFL makes an exception to that, however, for sports bars that show televised sports on a regular basis. And that point has been a point of considerable anger among people who have contacted the newspaper in response to the story.
    My church is (was?) planning a big Super Bowl party. I don't know what will happen to that now.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

j7wild Guest
    that's BS!!

what about the Gentlemen's Club who have a Superbowl Watching party every year?

http://www.mensclub.com/promotions/houston/10/

http://www.mensclub.com/promotions/dallas/10/

is that illegal too now?

Credits
    that's one of the dumest things i've heard in a long time. you can watch the game, but you cant watch it on a TV screen that's bigger than 55" and you can't watch it outside of your home with your friends.

well, if it makes them feel better, i dont watch the game anyway. i only care about the commercials.
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone …
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    I just heard... our church has canceled its Super Bowl party.

I wasn't sure I was going to go anyway. Now I guess I don't have a choice.