For those who haven't seen this movie yet, do so! It's a great flick. Not perfect, as the movie drags a bit in some parts, but enjoyable nonetheless.

This movie is probably the first black/African-American movie I've seen where the main character is not a thug or a drug-dealer. It imparts a very positive message about the value of a place like the babershop, a place where you can have a healty debate on the important issues - like family, respect, and of course, the finer points of booty (see the film - you'll understand).

I was impressed with Ice Cube's performance. He gives an honest performance of the unhappy owner of the barbershop. My friend disagrees, but I thought Cube's wife in the movie gave a good performance too. The other characters do turn in great performances, but are a bit perdictable.

What would a review be of this movie, without mentioning the now infamous scene of Cedric the Entertainer trash talking famous figures from the American Civil Rights movement of the 1960s. First Rosa Parks: "All she did waz sit her ass down". Second Martin Luther King: "He was a Ho". Soon after saying these comments Cedric is promtly shot down by everyone else in the barbershop. This scene is crucial in portraying the barbershop as a great place for debate, and a center of the community. For those who haven't heard, many of the American Civil Rights leaders (i.e. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, family of Rosa Parks) are demanding an apology from the filmmakers (for story see this link). I think this is silly. This movie gives a totally positive message, can't we just leave well enough alone. The civil rights leaders are also demanding the scene be cut from the movie when it is released to video. I say this to the filmmakers--I will not buy the movie it is cut in any way. The theatrical release is high enough quality to buy. If the scene is cut, or even if it is put as a "deleted scene", I will not purchase it.

Now what are you wating for? Go see the movie!