Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: OpenSolaris

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Credits

Lightbulb OpenSolaris

Solaris is a beautiful name for an operating system...

About OpenSolaris in Wikipedia:

OpenSolaris is an open source project created by Sun Microsystems to build a developer community around the Solaris Operating System technology. The project is aimed at developers, system administrators, and users who want to develop and improve operating systems. Over 12,000 community members are registered on OpenSolaris.org, of whom over 11,000 are not Sun employees. An active OpenSolaris User Group community is now growing worldwide, and dozens of OpenSolaris technology communities and projects are being formed on opensolaris.org.

OpenSolaris is derived from the Unix System V Release 4 codebase, though much of it has been modified since originally licensed by Sun for technical reasons. It is the only open source System V derivative available.
    As maybe some of you know, Sun Microsystems is one of the most well recognized companies in the computer world. That is the main reason for my expectatives about the OpenSolaris OS. As Linux, OpenSolaris has distributions, or "distros" (the way it are called in the Linux communities). One of the most interesting is Nexenta OS.

Nexenta OS

From Wikipedia:

Nexenta OS is a Debian-based GNU/Solaris operating system for IA-32 and x86-64 based systems. Nexenta OS is the first distribution that combines GNU with the OpenSolaris kernel and core user space utilities. Nexenta Systems, Inc has initiated the project and sponsors its continued development.

Nexenta is based on Ubuntu, but with the Linux kernel replaced with the Solaris kernel. Doing this saves time and resources from having to create yet another software base from scratch. There are two official APT repositories: "testing" and "unstable", totaling over 12,000 packages. A third "stable" repository is planned for the first official release. Nexenta OS is available in LiveCD, hard disk install and VMware image editions. Source code CDs are available for download as well.
    Nexenta OS is oriented for desktop use only, as far as I have found.

The most interesting thing that have called my attention to Nexenta is, apart of being based on Debian/Ubuntu (a combination of OpenSolaris with Ubuntu ) is resumed on the next screenshots (from the Nexenta website):

(source)
    X-MAME running Ghost 'n Ghouls on Nexenta

(source)
    (source)
    Quake 4 running on Nexenta

Nexenta OS Alpha 6 release highlights:

Nexenta Zones - opens the possibility to create custom zones and pre-install with selected software; integrated BrandZ - allows running Linux userland; SVR4 packaging - to install native Solaris packages (missing drivers, etc.) In addition, Alpha 6 contains: SUN_PERSONALITY - for those who need to run native Solaris software; updated GNOME artwork from Ubuntu Edgy; security updates from Ubuntu Dapper LTS; installer improvements; many fixes and various package updates; OpenSolaris build 50, with numerous kernel fixes and features (such as BrandZ, initial DRM support, etc.) [source]
    Links:

- Nexenta OS website and official download page
    - DistroWatch.com Nexenta OS page
    - Direct link for Nexenta OS Alpha 6, the latest release. DistroWatch.com's download page for Nexenta, with links to previous releases' CD installation images
    - Wikipedia's Comparison of open source operating systems

Credits
    Hmm.... Ubuntu packages on OpenSolaris kernel... intriguing concept. That would allow all of Solaris' programs to run as well as have a free "base" and a complete set of free programs to run with it. Makes you wonder how close Solaris and OpenSolaris really are, and why someone would want to choose Solaris. There is probably some support available through Solaris that OpenSolaris doesn't/won't have.

But this could prove interesting. On one hand, you have a free OS built from scratch but mostly patterned after Unix (Linux), and on the other hand, you have a free OS that essentially is Unix (OpenSolaris). I wonder if they will compete with each other, or if they will join forces at some point.

One thing I did note... I looked up Quake 4 and discovered that there is a Linux version of that game. I wasn't aware they did that.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits

Lightbulb Quake 4 for Linux

Yes, I didn't knew that id Software were (and are) supporters of Linux.

From Wikipedia:

id Software continued their tradition of supporting Linux by releasing a Linux version of the Quake 4 binary executable, which players could download for free from id (though it requires a licensed copy of Quake 4 for Windows to run). The Linux installer was made available two days after the release of the game itself.