Thanks Thanks:  0
    j7wild Guest

Exclamation This is peculiar: where's my DRIVE "I" ?

I have 4 USB ports on the front of my PERSONAL PC.

There are 2 external HD plugged into 2 of the USB ports.

They are showing up as Drive H and Drive I.

I have a separate network computer that links to my stores POS and Inventory system and on that computer, there is a 500 GB HD which I added on the network thru the wireless router as Drive J - 192.168.0.X

So when you open MY Computer on my PERSONAL PC, it's showing

Drive H - External HD
    Drive I - External HD
    Drive J - Network Internal HD

it's been the same for months UNTIL TODAY!!

Drive H is still there
    Drive I is GONE

Drive J is NOT the Network 500 GB HD but it's the External HD that used to be Drive I

So if I want to access the Network HD, I have to turn the External HD that's showing up on Drive J OFF

I have tried unplugging the External HD and plugging it into any of the other 2 front USB ports and it still won't show up as Drive I.

What happened to Drive I?

I looked under Device Managers and there are no YELLOW EXCLAMATION MARKS under the USB root directories!!

Furthermore, I haven't shut down the PC in weeks!!

j7wild Guest
    Someone at the other forum I posted this same thread suggested I shut down/reboot the PC and restart Windows:

yeah I did and I noticed 2 things:

if I leave both external HD plugged into the USB ports during the reboot/restart process, once the PC logs on to Windows, it's showing

Drive H - External HD
    Drive I - External HD
    Drive J - Network Internal HD

but if I turn Drive I OFF and turn it back on without rebooting/shutting down the PC itself, guess what happens?

Drive I is gone and we are back to Drive H and Drive J only with Drive J being the External HD and NOT the Network 500 GB HD

If I turn off both External HD First and shut down/reboot the computer and then turn both External HD on, same thing:

Drive H - External HD
    Drive J - External HD that should be on I
    no Drive I

but once I turn Drive J off, it becomes the Drive J - Network Internal HD

What The?

Credits
    I have that problem all the time.

XP is not the best when it comes to starting/stopping external HDs on-the-fly.

I myself have 4 LaCie's chained together. If I unplug them and plug them back in XP rarely ever shows all 4 drives. Restating is the only way to fix it.....

j7wild Guest
    but I don't want to restart the PC everytime I want to use Drive I;

also I also don't want to leave Drive I on all the time;

I want the option to be able to turn it off and turn it on anytime I wish and also having all 3 drives available whenever I need them.

Strange it's been working fine for almost 2 years until now.

I even tried plugging it into one of the USB ports in the back and still no joy!!

Credits
    I dont get that problem. Tho my external HDD have a power button on it. Get a case with an external power source so u can turn off n on ur HDD whenever you want n windows will always recognize it.

Tho USB ports r tricky. THey get screwed up by even simply dust inside. Lots of wear n tear since u plug htings in n out all the time. Best option is like I said above.
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

j7wild Guest
    both of my External HDs have a power button and a separate electrical power plug... XP is not recognizing one of them when I turn it on or off but I do get the BEEP!!

Credits
    make it RAID
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection