Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Recent Software Releases

There have been a lot of new software releases over the last couple of weeks, so I figured I would just start a thread announcing software releases/updates. Feel free to jump in with your own updates, but this is to get it started. It also gives me a handy spot to announce new updates as they come available.

Of course, everyone who has seen some of my other threads on software will probably guess that most of the software that I announce on here will be free software, but I'm not about to limit anyone else to that same restriction, although links to commercial software might be construed by some as spam (some might see this post as spam... if that is the case, feel free to delete it).

OpenOffice.org 2.2
    What it is: OpenOffice.org is an office suite roughly comparable to Microsoft Office or Corel WordPerfect Office. It has word processing (Write), spreadsheet (Calc), presentations (Impress), database (Base) and graphics design (Draw) programs. It can open and save files from many different office programs, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Corel WordPerfect, and many more. It runs on Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, and a few others.
    What is new: Enhanced text display throughout, better support for Pivot Tables in Calc, several key improvements to Base, a more robust Mac version for X11, and more.
    Cost of full product: $0
    Cost of upgrade: $0
    Homepage: www.openoffice.org

Thunderbird 2.0
    What it is: An email client produced by the same people who make the Firefox web browser. More powerful than Microsoft Outlook Express, and has fewer security holes than Microsoft Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook. Also has built in RSS and News readers. Supports POP3 and IMAP accounts. It runs on Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, and a few others.
    What is new: Message tags, session history navigation, advanced folder views, easy access to popular webmail services like Gmail and .Mac, improved support for extensions, improved new mail notifications, folder summary popups, find as you type, Windows Vista support, and more.
    Homepage: www.getthunderbird.com

Pidgin 2.0 (formerly known as Gaim)
    What it is: Instant messaging client that can connect to several different IM protocols simultaneously, such as AIM/ICQ, Yahoo, MSN, IRC, XMPP, and several others without the need for multiple programs. Runs on Windows, Linux and Unix (Mac OSX users are asked to try Adium instead).
    What is new: "We've got a new name, a new look, and a ton of new features, but we're still the same old instant messaging client you know and love."
    Homepage: www.pidgin.im

GIMP 2.2.14
    What it is: GIMP is the Gnu Image Manipulation Program, a very powerful image editor that can go toe-to-toe with Adobe Photoshop in many ways and features. Runs on Windows, Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX.
    What is new: Mostly just bug fixes.
    Homepage: www.gimp.org
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    Scribus 1.3.3.8
    What it is: A desktop publishing program, not unlike Adobe PageMaker, Adobe InDesign, or Quark XPress. Great for designing newsletters, newspapers, magazines, or other publications. Runs on Windows, Mac OSX, Linux/Unix, and OS/2.
    What is new: "This release is purely a further bug fix release to the recently released 1.3.3.8. This release adds more translation updates, some bugs were found and fixed, added some improvements to the SVG importer and improvements to PDF forms."
    Homepage: www.scribus.net

VLC PLayer 0.86b
    What it is: Media player that handles most popular audio and video formats, including MOV, WMV, AVI, MPG, VCD, DVD, OGG, and many more. Runs on Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, BeOS, and others.
    What is new: It includes a new teletext subtitles decoder, new flash video decoders and Mac OS X interface improvements. It fixes many crashes, especially during fullscreen on Mac OS X, on Vista and the browser plugin.
    Homepage: www.videolan.org/vlc/

Credits
    Blender 2.44
    What it is: Blender is an open source software 3D animation program. It can be used for modelling, uv unwrapping, texturing, rigging, skinning, animating, rendering, particle and other simulating, non-linear editing, compositing, and creating interactive 3D applications. Blender is available for several operating systems, including Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, IRIX, Solaris, FreeBSD, SkyOS, MorphOS and Pocket PC.
    What is new: This version now is fully 64 bits compatible, new modifers were added, a couple of composite nodes were added, and a revamp of the old mesh primitives was done. But most relevant to mention is Blender 2.44's new long-awaited but unexpected feature: subsurface scattering (SSS) support!
    Cost of Upgrade: $0
    Homepage: blender.org

Credits
    Firefox 2.0.0.4 and Firefox 1.5.0.12
    What it is: Firefox is a web browser and an alternative to Microsoft Internet Explorer. It is a spinoff of the Mozilla Internet Suite, which in turn was a spinoff of the old Netscape Communicator. It is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
    What is new: Mostly bug and security fixes. It should be pointed out, however, that 1.5.0.12 is officially the last update that will be done for the 1.5.x line, and it is recommended that users update to the 2.x line.
    Cost of Upgrade: $0
    Homepage: www.getfirefox.com

I talked about about these earlier, but Pidgin, GIMP, and Scribus have also released new updates recently, mostly just bug and security fixes. Pidgin is up to 2.0.1, GIMP at 2.2.15, and Scribus is at 1.3.3.9.

Credits
    thanx for this. I´m never gonna use some of those (like 3D progs and O.Office), tried VLC once, but stayed with MPC (and have it on my laptop too...). Using FF and Thunderbird, of course.
    But just switched to Pidgeon. It just seems so cool and finally does everythin I want my message client to and nothing (NOTHING) more. And looks awsome. Thanks for that (had ICQ, Trillian, QIP before ... none of these really didnt fit to me. Pidgeon /i know its not Pidgeon, but its easier to remember for me/ is just simple, does have settings I need and works with accounts I need. Cool)

These are programs I have on my laptop:

Internet:
    Firefox (not Thunderbird yet, use T on desktop)
    Pidgin
    NetTransport
    Free Download Manager
    uTorrent
    NetMeter
    SpyBot search and Destroy

Media:
    Microsoft Office 2003 (lol)
    IrfanView
    Adobe Photoshop
    Avid Xpress pro
    FXhome
    Adobe After Effects
    Sorenson Squeeze
    Nero 7 Premium

Everything I need to play ANY video:
    Media Player Classic
    FFDshow
    QuickTime Alternative

plus Total Commander

Thats all I needed so far. I have like 20times more soft on my desktop tho....didnt wanna have mess on notebook
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

Credits
    This is a tad different than the programs I have listed before because one, it isn't open-source, and two, it is Windows only, but still, I think it is worth mentioning.

Ad-Aware 2007 Free
    What it is: An adware and spyware removal tool for Microsoft Windows. "Our free anti-spyware version provides you with advanced protection against spyware that secretly attaches and takes control of your computer, resulting in aggressive advertising pop-ups, sluggish computer activity, even identity theft through stolen bank details, passwords, and credit card account numbers."
    What is new: Redesigned Engine, Improved Code Sequence Identification (CSI) Technology, Incremental Definition File Updates, TrackSweep, and Multiple Browser Support.
    Cost of Full Product: $0 for the free version, $26.95 USD for the Plus version, and $39.95 USD for the Pro version.
    Cost of upgrade: $0 for the free version, no upgrade price for the Pro or Plus versions.
    Homepage: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php for free version

BTW, Thunderbird (2.0.0.4), OpenOffice.org (2.2.1), and Pidgin (2.0.2) have released security/bug fixes as well.
    Last edited by corfy; 06-22-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Forgot the link for Ad-Aware

Credits
    It has been a while since I posted to this thread, but software releases haven't occurred as often as I expected.

GnuCash 2.2.1
    What it is: "GnuCash is personal and small-business financial-accounting software, freely licensed under the GNU GPL and available for GNU/Linux, BSD, Solaris, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows. Designed to be easy to use, yet powerful and flexible, GnuCash allows you to track bank accounts, stocks, income and expenses. As quick and intuitive to use as a checkbook register, it is based on professional accounting principles to ensure balanced books and accurate reports."
    What is new: Mostly just bug fixes, although the port to Windows is relatively recent.
    Cost of Full Product: $0
    Homepage: http://www.gnucash.org

Some other programs I have posted earlier have newer versions, although mostly bug and security fixes. Firefox and Thunderbird are both up to 2.0.0.6, GIMP is up to 2.2.17, Pidgin is at 2.1.1, and VLCPlayer is at 0.86c.

Credits
    FileZilla 3.0
    What it is: FileZilla is an open-source FTP (file transfer protocol) program with all of the features you would expect from commercial FTP programs. It is available for Windows, GNU/Linux, and Mac OSX. Despite the similarity in name, this has no connection to the Mozilla line of products.
    What is new: With version 3.0, FileZilla expanded from being a Windows only program to being available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX (although it looks like there is a slight delay on the MacOSX version). They also did a lot of work to the interface, but they aren't advertising all their changes, so I can't say for sure what is new and what isn't.
    Cost of Full Product: $0
    Homepage: http://filezilla.sourceforge.net