Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Lightbulb LG PC Blu-ray/HD-DVD Combo Drive

From extremetech.com:

...Now the company is readying a PC drive that can burn Blu-ray, DVD, and CD discs. It also serves as an HD-DVD ROM drive and, with the right software, can play back HD-DVD movies.

The movement towards shipping combo drives has been a slow process, though it's worth remembering that it was several years before drives capable of burning both DVD-R and DVD+R drives hit the market. The stakes are considerably higher in the Blu-ray versus HD-DVD battle, so there's keen interest among consumers in seeing successful combo drives. On the other hand, primary stakeholders in the format wars—Toshiba on the HD-DVD side and Sony on the Blu-ray side—are probably less happy with the idea.

Hewlett-Packard is planning to be the first company to ship systems using LG's combo drive. HP loaned us a prototype PC with an early LG drive installed for us to test. What we found was a drive that's pretty polished as a playback device, but is still a work in progress on the burner side. Let's take a closer look...
    More info on the linked page

These kind of drives (to play CDs, DVDs, HD-DVDs and BDs but to record all except HD-DVDs) would be the perfect solution. Who will want to burn into HD-DVD given the capacities of BD? I am speaking in theory, of course...

Credits
    so how much would that thing cost?
    If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

Credits
    Apparently, prices start on 980 US$ ...

It can record up to 50 GB of data on a Blu-ray disc.

Credits
    LG was always my favourite in PC drives/burners, I´m so much going to buy this (once .... uhm, like in two years :/ ).
    Having quite much of work right now, I guess I could get this like in one year if I work hard (considering the fact that I still "need" to buy new Widescreen LCD /THE BIG ONE/ and PS3 )
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection