Credits

WTF is wrong with these people?

Four arrested in Iraq 'honor killing'
    Story Highlights
    • Four arrested in "honor killing" in northern Iraq
    • Two suspects were members of girl's family
    • The 17-year-old was dragged from home and stoned to death
    • Cell phone video of killing broadcast worldwide

BAGHDAD, IRAQ (CNN) -- Authorities in northern Iraq have arrested four people in connection with the "honor killing" last month of a Kurdish teen -- a startling, morbid pummeling caught on a mobile phone video camera and broadcast around the world.

The case portrays the tragedy and brutality of honor killings in the Muslim world. Honor killings take place when family members kill relatives, almost always female, because they feel the relatives' actions have shamed the family.

In this case, Dua Khalil, a 17-year-old Kurdish girl whose religion is Yazidi, was dragged into a crowd in a headlock with police looking on and kicked, beaten and stoned to death last month.

Authorities believe she was killed for being seen with a Sunni Muslim man. She had not married him or converted, but her attackers believed she had, a top official in Nineveh province said. The Yazidis, who observe an ancient Middle Eastern religion, look down on mixing with people of another faith.

Each year, dozens of honor killings are reported in Iraq and thousands are reported worldwide, said the United Nations. The practice has been condemned around the world by governments and human rights groups. A yearly vigil protesting honor killings is held in London, England.

Two of the four arrested are members of the victim's family, police in Nineveh province said Thursday. Four others, including a cousin thought to have instigated the killing, are being sought.

The killing is said to have spurred the killings of about two dozen Yazidi men by Sunni Muslims in the Mosul area two weeks later. Attackers affiliated with al Qaeda pulled 24 Yazidi men out of a bus and slaughtered them, a provincial official said.

The violence ratcheted up tensions between Yazids and Muslims in Bashiqa, the victim's hometown, a largely Yazidi city in Nineveh province.

Provincial officials don't think much could have been done to stop the honor killing, but at least three officers are being investigated and could be fired.

"The climate, the religious and social climate is such that people can do that in daylight and that authorities do not intervene," said the spokeswoman for the Organization of Womens' Freedom in Iraq, Houzan Mahmoud.

Also, the top police official in Bashiqa is being replaced.

From CNN's Mohammed Tawfeeq and Brian Todd.
    I can't understand why this area of the world behaves so uncivilized.
    You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't be sure. But it doesn't matter - because we'll be together.

Credits
    Come on, are you saying you never stoned anybody?

Really?

Never?

Not during Church or after school?

j7wild Guest

Exclamation

the video is on filecabi.net

Credits
    I watched the video on CNN's site which shows some of the murder (which is exactly what this is). I don't think I could stand to watch the whole thing as I have no interest in watching a human being being killed, especially is this way. Seeing what I did made my blood boil.

I'm starting to really believe there's no hope for these people. All they seem interested in is killing each other and acting like it's 1607 rather than 2007. The sad thing is this is one of the ancient civilizations of the world yet they haven't seem to keep up with the world.

The only thing they've got going for them is oil. If there was no oil in that area, perhaps the world would just turn a blind eye like they have to Africa.

Credits
    How about the law that says a wife has to be burned at the stake along with her husband's body when he dies?

BTW, keep in mind that those ancient civilizations were different people than the current inhabitants. All those civilizations existed well before the Arab invasion of the area. That's the case for pretty much every area in the Middle East and Greece.

Ironically this kind of stuff also happens in Turkey's rural regions yet Turkey somehow wants EU membership?