Paradise Lost is finally hitting the silver screen here in the UK. Caught a preview and don't know what the bad press was all about across the pond (originally called Turistas).

I thought it was a million times better than Hostel. The setting of the Brazilian jungle and especially the underwater scenes in the caves were stunning.

I'm fine with movies being gory provided there's a point, which there wasn't in Hostel. Saw was great as there was at least some suspense and the puzzle element. I actually cared about the characters in Paradise Lost though and provided you're not obsessed by blood and guts (although there was a generous serving imho), then the suspense is more than enough. Also, in Hostel I didn't give a damn about any of the characters!

Definitely more of a thriller than a horror movie and maybe that's where it went a bit astray when released a few months back. For me it was fun, entertaining and certainly won't put me off ever going back to Brazil, which I would move to in a shot. Fantastic country

Rating: 7.5/10

Just be careful who you befriend and put your trust in when on your travels or you could end up losing more than just your wallet