Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Exclamation "The Remains of Kursk Submarine" - English Russia and warhistory

From the same web where j7wild found that article with new images of Chernobyl, I found this:

The Remains of Kursk Submarine

K-141 Kursk was a Russian nuclear cruise missile submarine which was lost with all hands when it sank in the Barents Sea on August 12, 2000. It was named after the Russian city Kursk, around which the largest tank battle in military history, the Battle of Kursk, took place in 1943.

The Kursk sailed out to sea to perform an exercise of firing dummy torpedoes at Pyotr Velikiy, a Kirov class battlecruiser. On August 12, 2000 at 11:28 local time (07:28 UTC), the missiles were fired, but an explosion occurred soon after on Kursk. The only credible report to-date is that this was due to the failure and explosion of one of Kursk’s new/developmental torpedoes. The chemical explosion blasted with the force of 100-250 kg of TNT and registered 2.2 on the Richter scale [1]. The submarine sank to a depth of 108 metres, approximately 135km (85 miles) off Severomorsk, at 69°40′N, 37°35′E. A second explosion 135 seconds after the initial event measured between 3.5 and 4.4 on the Richter scale, equivalent to 3-7 tons of TNT [2]. Either this explosion or the earlier one propelled large pieces of debris far back through the submarine.

Kursk was eventually raised from her grave by a Dutch team using the barge Giant 4, and 115 of the 118 dead were recovered and laid to rest in Russia. Russian officials have strenuously denied claims that the sub was carrying nuclear warheads. When the boat was raised by a salvage operation in 2001 there were considerable fears moving the wreck could trigger explosions.
    By the way, that text is from Wikipedia.

More images in englishrussia.com and warhistory

Wikipedia articles:

Russian submarine K-141 Kursk, Russian submarine Kursk explosion and Major submarine incidents since 2000

j7wild Guest
    I'm glad I don't have to see the dead bodies inside!!

Credits
    Sadly some of the sailors survived the initial explosions and died painfully later.

Who knows what actually happened. Judging by the openness of Russia they'll deny everything for 100 years and then the truth will start leaking.

j7wild Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Sadly some of the sailors survived the initial explosions and died painfully later.

Who knows what actually happened. Judging by the openness of Russia they'll deny everything for 100 years and then the truth will start leaking.
    this reminds me of the Movie with Harrison Ford "K-19";

I just watched it the other night on DVD.