Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

"China creates rival to HD DVD, Blu-ray" - tgdaily.com

From tgdaily.com:

China creates rival to HD DVD, Blu-ray

By Mark Raby
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:18

Beijing (China) - As Blu-ray and HD DVD continue their second year in the market, the Chinese government has stepped in to create its own high definition disc format.

The CH-DVD (China High Definition DVD) format was created by engineers from Chinese universities, government officials, and a Chinese firm specializing in video formats.

The China consortium has reached a deal with the DVD Forum, the regulatory committee in charge of overseeing DVD and HD DVD, but not Blu-ray. As such, there is somewhat of a connection between HD DVD and CH-DVD. For one, they both follow the same basic specifications. Also, according to media reports, they are interchangeable, meaning HD DVD players will be able to play CH-DVD movies and vice versa.

CH-DVD will also reportedly contain more copy protection features, a big move for a country known for its extensive video piracy.

The next-gen DVD war has been a two-sided battle from the beginning, and it's unclear if China's new initiative will do much to change that. It may only be released in Asia, and even there it won't come out until 2008.

For the holiday season, both existing formats are pulling the stops. Blu-ray will receive blockbuster exclusive titles like Spider-Man 3, the top first-week gross earnings film of all time. Meanwhile, HD DVD will drill the price down, with players expected to dive below $200.
    Thanks to baquia.com

Credits
    you can hear about all these new formats every day. That new 30G DVD is example. Its has no power in this bussines because of lack of studio support. There´s been tons of different formats and there will be. Besides china and japan are sort of different market, they have very usually their own technologies, which has no affect on our markets ....
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

j7wild Guest

Thumbs down

Oh, yeah right!!

Like when China put Big Hollywood movies on VCD and tried to pass them on as DVD when DVD first came out?

I had customers that came to the store and said they got Titanic on DVD already; I took a look and the packaging read DVD put the physical disc was a VCD and the quality of the picture and sound was Crappy Awful!!

Credits
    OK, but this time Chinese authorities have contacted the DVD Forum. I believe it is a different case.

Credits
    Go HDDVD. Beat Sony and i give you a candy.

Credits
    DVD, HDDVD, Blu-Ray, CH-DVD

What's next -- HDBVDDVD?
    Our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us. - Matthew Mcconaughey - Interstellar

j7wild Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Granite View Post
    DVD, HDDVD, Blu-Ray, CH-DVD

What's next -- HDBVDDVD?
    GGDVD