Thanks Thanks:  2

Thread: Pendrives...

Credits

Question Pendrives...

Hi

This thread is for us to share our knowledge about pendrives: personal experience, opinions, which are the best brands and models and all things related to pendrives.

I am specially interested because I want to buy a new one. I have 3 pendrives, all are Kingston:

- 1 GB DataTraveler 2

(source)

- 1 GB DataTraveler mini, migo edition

(source)

- 2 GB DataTraveler 100

(source)

The thing is that a friend bought a 4 GB model, also Kingston branded, some time ago this month, and after a week it just not worked again. I don't know what exactly happened but I want to learn about your experiences and opinions on this matter.

About myself, until now I am happy with my pendrives. Recently, I had a problem with a data cable where I connected one of my pendrives. The cable was damaged with some kind of connection problem: it disconnected from the PC by itself and connected alone frequently.

It was a new USB cable extension and I discovered this problem at that moment. It disconnected the pendrive when it was still mounted and when I was watching a trailer stored on it. Ubuntu (6.10, my OS) send me a message about possible data damage on the pendrive due to a bad unmounting process.

When I connected the pendrive again, it had various files named with strange characters, files that could not be open. Also some folders had this same problem. The entire pendrive mounted itself as a read only unit and on Properties it was stated that there were 19 dot something GB of data stored on an... 1 GB pendrive!

The Ubuntu events register send messages about a bad FAT file system on the pendrive. What I did was to format it but with Windows on the internet café, because I forgot how to do it with Ubuntu.

Fortunatelly, I could copy part of the stored files to the PC (if I have data on a pendrive it's because I can't transfer it to my PC and I have not burned it on DVD-Rs) and I could remember some of the damaged files (so I downloaded them again), but there were files I don't remember what kind of info/data they contained, so I lost those.

After formating the pendrive seems OK. I have put the damaged USB data cable apart to never use it again.

By the way, I have had this same kind of messages frequently when I have my cellphone (Nokia E62)connected to the PC with an USB data cable (not the same cable of the previous case, this cable I know works fine because is the one I always use to transfer the data of my pendrives). But the problem here is that I don't have an original Nokia USB data cable for my phone... And fortunatelly I have not lost any data on the cellphone's 256 MB miniSD card (I will buy an original Nokia USB cable for my phone as soon as possible).

And back to topic... What do you know about this?

Thanks
    Last edited by jmcc; 06-18-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Credits
    Yesterday I bought a new Kingston DataTraveler pendrive, 2 GB.

(source)
    Last edited by jmcc; 06-18-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Credits
    On Thursday 19 I bought another Kingston 2 GB pendrive like the one previously posted.

Credits
    y call them pendrives? They can also turn into pens?
    I use a 4GB Toshiba FLASHdrive :p
    /!\ Certified Bandwidth Abuser || ([)(]) Dolby Digital me bitch! || Alicia Keys || Game Trailers || FaceBook user ||
    || All-time Favourite TV Shows: Battlestar Galactica (2003+), Dead Like Me, FireFly, Invader ZIM, Space: Above & Beyond, Veronica Mars ||

[ -- Music Festival Whore! -- ]

Credits
    Indeed, flashdrive is a better word for those devices. Please, if you can change the threads' title, thanks a lot.

But just for the record, the term pendrive is widely used in Venezuela for the flashdrives and also I have found references to it in English on the internet. For example, there is a site named:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com

Last edited by jmcc; 06-23-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: To change linuxpendrive.com to pendrivelinux.com

Credits
    I've seen the terms "pendrive", "flashdrive", "USB keys", "thumb key", "thumb drive", and various other names.

My current drive is an 8GB "MyFlash" drive from Adata (http://www.adata-group.com/en/produc...ctNo=AP09ZZZBU). I like the storage size, and it does really well copying big files, but when copying a lot of little files, it takes forever. I copied over 2,000 files totaling 700 MB, and it took over an hour. Copying one 700 MB file, on the other hand, took I think 5 minutes.

My last drive was a 1GB drive from LG. Except for the size limit, I really liked it.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    I personally use a 4GB dabs.com value drive. Bought for £22 about a year ago and still going strong today.

Just shows how much stuff drops in price, it now costs £7 on their site. 1/3 of what I paid a year ago. >_<