Thanks Thanks:  0
    j7wild Guest

Exclamation Question about Firefox 3 !!

I closed all the TABS, went into tools/clear private data and cleared cookies, cache, history and offline web data and then closed Firefox completely.

My History under tools/options/privacy is also set to ZERO days.

But if I open a new Firefox browser and when I click on the down arrow in the Address Bar, I get this:

the ones in red are the pages I visited previously and this shouldn't be showing because I cleared all private data.

the ones in blue are pages under my bookmarks that shouldn't even show because I haven't visited them in a while.

if I highlight each one of them in blue with my mouse and keep pressing the DELETE button, they will go away but as soon as I click on the down arrow again, they are there again.

How do you make them disappear permanently?

This means I can clear everything, close Firefox and if someone were to open it, they can STILL see where I been and what's under my bookmarks.

Credits
    I have used only beta versions of Firefox 3 but I think it should not be happening. When you clear your personal info (which includes cookies and history), the registry of your browsing should not be available to no one, even yourself if you open again the browser, and even less in a so easy way...

j7wild Guest

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    I have used only beta versions of Firefox 3 but I think it should not be happening. When you clear your personal info (which includes cookies and history), the registry of your browsing should not be available to no one, even yourself if you open again the browser, and even less in a so easy way...
    I submitted a BUG report to Mozilla and unistalled Firefox 3.0 and went back to 2.0.

Credits
    How long have you used the new Firefox 3 before you dismissed it? The new bar isn't showing your history perse, it's called the "awesome bar" and it shows a mix of your bookmarks and history, but only your top visited pages. Mozilla says it works very intuitive and adapts to your browsing habbits, so after a while you should probably only see your top most visited pages and some bookmarks.

If you're that worried about browing history you probably should not use bookmarks either because that's also a form of browsing history. It bothers me a bit that people don't even give something new a chance and immediatly get away with something they don't fully understand.
    I'm a mog, half man, half dog, I am my own best friend.

Credits
    I personally really love FF3. My worries ended like 3 minutes after I first tried it. Exactly that long it took to FF to find out that there are updates for my extensions that werent available during instalation (which was ten minutes before). So everythin´s workin just fine now. Plus its DAMN FASTER.
    Btw I hated that "awsome bar" for few hours. But got used to it quite quickly and cant imagine browsing without it now. Its really helpful. Dont give a frack if someone´s gonna see my most visited pages, honestly. I think its a great feature.
    Me angry! Where´s my food!

My DVD Collection, My Blu-ray collection

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    the ones in red are the pages I visited previously and this shouldn't be showing because I cleared all private data.

the ones in blue are pages under my bookmarks that shouldn't even show because I haven't visited them in a while.
    I don't know why you are seeing pages you previously visited that should have been deleted from your cache. I haven't had that problem, and I have been using Firefox 3 since Beta 5. I clear my visited pages and cache every time I close Firefox, and they have never been there when I reopened the program.

The ones in blue, however, are, as you say, bookmarks. Whether you have visited them recently or not, it is a new feature in Firefox that it looks through your bookmarks to find similar addresses to what you are typing in.

Smart Location Bar

A quick way to get to the sites you love—even the ones with addresses you only vaguely remember. The new Firefox 3 location bar learns as you use it—it’s so highly evolved that we like to call it the “Awesome Bar”. Over time, it adapts to your preferences and offers better fitting matches. Type in a term and the autocomplete function includes possible matching sites from your browsing history, as well as sites you’ve bookmarked and tagged in a drop down. For example, you could enter the tag: “investments” to find “www.fool.com”. Matched terms are highlighted, making the list of results easy to scan.
    (italics added)
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

j7wild Guest
    Awesome bar or whatever is called, I don't like it!!

It shouldn't display any websites I visited after I cleared all my private data.

What's the point of deleting your private data if you can't keep your privacy.

Plus this adapt thing - I decide where to go and when, I don't need a Browser to do it for me and at the same time puts me at security and privacy risk.

I'm going back to Firefox 2.0!!

Credits
    You seem to be in the definite minority when it comes to hating the "Awesome bar".

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2317300,00.asp
    The top new feature has to be the address bar, what Mozilla types call "The Awesome Bar, but which the development team has officially dubbed the location bar. As you type into it, a list of suggested Web destinations based on your browsing history pops up. It uses what Mozilla's phenomenologist Mike Beltzner has coined frecency—a combination of frequency and recentness—to determine the best suggestions. And, as icing on the cake, the search bar is now resizable, so you can divvy the space between the location and search bars to your taste.

When I tried it, the location bar's first suggestion was right on the money most of the time. Knowing that hitting the down arrow and Enter will usually get you where you want to go—not to mention save you untold keystrokes and time—will change your browsing habits. And not only does the feature match parts of words even if they occur in the middle of a URL, but when you type a phrase with spaces you'll usually be taken where you want to go immediately. For example, when I entered Chase Manhattan, I was taken directly to www.chase.com, without the intervening search result page you see in other browsers.
    http://etech.eweek.com/content/web_t...c=EWKNLNAVFEA1
    A big improvement to the address bar in Firefox 3 lets users begin to type a URL or even a search term, and the dropdown display in the address bar will show sites that have the same term—not only in the URL, but also in the Web page titles and headlines, automatically pulling information from the browser's history. This feature, which is also found in the latest version of the Opera browser, is a real time-saver when looking for specific Web sites and pages that you may have visited previously.
    I will say, however, that I don't have the problem you saw of previously visited sites showing up after my cache was cleared. Bookmarks show up, but previously visited sites don't. Maybe you had a bug during installation or something. Considering that Firefox 3 was downloaded over 8 million times in the first 24 hours, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the heavy traffic caused a problem with some of the downloads.

But if the autocomplete feature really bothers you, you can turn it off in Firefox 3. Type "about:config" in the address bar (sans quotes) and hit enter. You can click through the warning about voiding the warranty (that is an inside joke... there is no warranty). In the "Filter" spot at the top of the page, type in "browser.urlbar", again, without the quotes. Double-click on the entry that shows up that says "browser.urlbar.maxRichResults" and change the number from 12 to 0. Then close Firefox and start it back up again. That should essentially turn that feature off.

Credits
    Well, to be fair, it looks like j7wild isn't the only one who hates the Awesome Bar.

http://azerthoth.blogspot.com/2008/0...-of-trust.html
    Make no mistakes, this is not another undocumented "feature". This is a breach of public trust. Your browser is tracking EXACTLY what you have told it not to track or retain. I love using Firefox, but this revelation has set me to taking a serious look at other broswers for personal use, as should anyone who is concerned with personal privacy.

j7wild Guest
    I did what Corfy suggested I do with the settings and the Awesome Bar is still retaining some (not all) of the recently visited pages and bookmarks even after I cleared all private data and closed Firefox!!

So here I am, uninstalling Firefox 3.0 and replacing it with Firefox 2.0 for the 2nd time in the same week!!