...on my new 160 GB HDD and I'm not sure between these options: openSuSE 11.0, Fedora Core 9 or FreeBSD.

I am more interested on openSuSE 11.0 (this version is the one with the highest number of new and/or updated features in a time) but if someone here wants to share some thoughts on this, feel welcomed.

According to Wikipedia, the Linux distros with the highest number of packages are Ubuntu (which I have already installed but not upgraded on the other HDD), openSuSE, Fedora Core and Mandriva. Remember that packages are programs. Those distros have a very good or relatively good reputation (I say this because I have heard sometimes bad comments about Ubuntu between some Linux users, but maybe they are advanced users and Ubuntu may not meet their standards, but curiously they have a better impression about openSuSE). There are other very good distros with less packages...

About FreeBSD: I want to try it. I have heard that it is very good. FreeBSD is not a Linux distro, it is based, if my memory is right, on the original UNIX or over evolutions of it made in what was known as Berkeley Software Distribution. Linux programs are usually compatible with FreeBSD. The most interesting part of it, for me at this moment, is that today's Apple OS X has lots of code taken from the FreeBSD project and Apple has colaborated with the FreeBSD community too, giving code to the project.

I could try to make 2 partitions on the disk, maybe 120 and 40 GB, to try both openSuSE 11.0 and FreeBSD 7, but I am not sure about the capacity of each one to read other OS file systems.

On an skeptical e-mailing list from Spain I once read this comment about FreeBSD: "Yes, Linux distros are like those cheap red ray lasers and FreeBSD is like those fine and very good green ray lasers capable of better things..." (the user was trying to compare both OSs like a DVD and a Blu-ray).

What I don't like about FreeBSD is its logo

I wanted to buy an HDD with more storage capacity but by now I can't.

So, do you have any comments?