Thanks Thanks:  0
    Credits

Lightbulb openSuSE 11.0 installed...

Some days ago I installed openSuSE 11.0 on the new 160 GB HDD on my PC. Installation was easy.

Every hardware was detected and recognized, as far as I know. The only thing I don't see is the multicard reader, unless it needs to have a memory card to mount it first in order to show it on the system (I will try it in these days).

A thing that surprised me was that during installation, it was recommended to me to use the Ubuntu swap partition instead of creating a new one. I consulted that on a Linux e-mail list and people there advised me to follow that. They also told me, after the installation, that I should have used the /home of Ubuntu too, for openSuSE, so I will have to distros with the same home. On a FreeBSD list I have been told to not do that

Now I want to access the contents of the files I have on the Ubuntu disk and viceversa. I don't know to do that.

I didn't installed FreeBSD because I find it a bit complicated and didn't want to study it now. Also I needed the new disc space...

I like Ubuntu system fonts better than the ones in openSuSE 11.0.

Another thing I don't like on openSuSE is that when I delete the files on a flashdrive (an order that Ubuntu does in a second), it instead MOVE the files to the recycle bin Imagine that on a 2 GB flashdrives...

As usual, I need to install things like VLC and XMMS in order to play video and audio files (that's what I'm doing now)...

Credits
    It is generally recommended to not share the /home directory across multiple distros because included in your home directory are program settings. If you don't have the same version of a program installed on both (or all) distros, then the settings could cause some conflicts with each distro.

I had a similar problem when I tried Firefox 3 Beta beside Firefox 2 in Windows. Everytime I switched from one to the other, I had to go through the Extension update wizard and I got the screen welcoming me to the latest version of Firefox (whether it was 2 or 3). That was just a minor annoyance, but I can see where some of those settings would cause some serious problems, not just minor annoyances.

I did learn a trick that can be done to get around using the same home folder... to an extent. Although I have only done this upon install, so while I know it can be done afterwards, I don't know how to do it so it will stick.

If you want your Ubuntu home folder to be accessible from openSuSE, you can mount it inside your openSuSE home folder. For example, in your openSuSE folder, create a folder called "UbuntuHome", then run this command:

mount /{partition Ubuntu home folder is on}/home/{username} /home/{username}/UbuntuHome

If you mounted your Ubuntu home in a separate partition, you should take "/home" out of the first half of that command.

So lets say that you did install your Ubuntu home folder in it's own partion, and it is on sda2, and that your username in both systems is jmcc. The command would be:

mount /sda2/jmcc /home/jmcc/UbuntuHome

(you will need to do that with root or sudo priveledges, whichever openSuSE requires)

But that would make all of your Ubuntu home folder accessible from within your openSuSE, while keeping the program settings separate. The downside is it does add an additional level (or two or three) of directories. I used this to mount my My Documents folder from Windows in Ubuntu.

Unfortunately, mounting it that way will only work until you shut your computer down. I know there is a way to set it up permanently, but I haven't had to do it, so I don't know how. A quick look online should be able to show you how. But you can do the reverse with your openSuSE home folder inside Ubuntu's home.

BTW, in a multi-boot situation, there is no problem in using the same swap partition for all. As long as the distros aren't running at the same time, you are perfectly safe.
    Corfy
    Laugh at life or life will laugh at you.
    Website | DVD Collection

Credits
    That's exactly one of my ideas... To mount the /homes to have access from each distro to the files stored on the other...

You are right, I believe I have read that the mounting/unmounting process could be done automatically when the OS goes on and off...

I will investigate it... Thanks a lot corfy