I was at a Bar B Q restaurant for lunch last week in Dallas:

total bill, $9.21

I paid with a $20

the waiter returned with only $9 change - when I asked him where the other $1.79 cents was, he said something about a tip and I reminded him he cannot automatically add/deduct a tip unless he is dealing with a party of 6 or more and that it was up to me determine the tip, not him.

So he gave me my $1.79 and I left him 79 cents because of what he did - I would have left 15% tip if he didn't pull that stunt.

Andrea and I had dinner at a casual diner a couple of weeks ago here in Houston:

total bill, $31.45

I paid with $40

the waiter didn't bring me our change - instead he brought us a comment card to fill out.

Once again, I asked him about the change and he said "Oh I thought you gave me as Tip?"

I told him that the service was okay to deserve 15% tip but not 27%!!

He brought the change back and I left him $1 because of the stunt he pulled.

I was at lunch with one of my employee today here in Houston at a Mexican restaurant:

total bill, $23.13

I paid with $40

the waitress picked up the $40 off the table, gave me $6 back and started to walk off.

I stopped her and told her, "Hey you still owe me $10.87", If you think I am going to tip you 47%, you are crazy!!"

So she said very rudely "Oh I thought you gave me $30" and she gave me the $10 and said she didn't have 87 cents in coins.

I told her to keep it and I didn't give her any more for tip.

In all 3 cases I told the Manager and they all apologized and assured me that maybe the waiter/waitresses made an Honest mistake which I don't buy!!

p.s. I usually tip 12% at a restaurant like a Buffet or IHOP or Denny's, 15% to 18% at casual full service restaurant and 20% to 25% at a more full service upscale restaurant