Thanks Thanks:  0
    j7wild Guest

Angry When did Restaurant Waiters/Waitresses start keeping the change?

I was at a Bar B Q restaurant for lunch last week in Dallas:

total bill, $9.21

I paid with a $20

the waiter returned with only $9 change - when I asked him where the other $1.79 cents was, he said something about a tip and I reminded him he cannot automatically add/deduct a tip unless he is dealing with a party of 6 or more and that it was up to me determine the tip, not him.

So he gave me my $1.79 and I left him 79 cents because of what he did - I would have left 15% tip if he didn't pull that stunt.

Andrea and I had dinner at a casual diner a couple of weeks ago here in Houston:

total bill, $31.45

I paid with $40

the waiter didn't bring me our change - instead he brought us a comment card to fill out.

Once again, I asked him about the change and he said "Oh I thought you gave me as Tip?"

I told him that the service was okay to deserve 15% tip but not 27%!!

He brought the change back and I left him $1 because of the stunt he pulled.

I was at lunch with one of my employee today here in Houston at a Mexican restaurant:

total bill, $23.13

I paid with $40

the waitress picked up the $40 off the table, gave me $6 back and started to walk off.

I stopped her and told her, "Hey you still owe me $10.87", If you think I am going to tip you 47%, you are crazy!!"

So she said very rudely "Oh I thought you gave me $30" and she gave me the $10 and said she didn't have 87 cents in coins.

I told her to keep it and I didn't give her any more for tip.

In all 3 cases I told the Manager and they all apologized and assured me that maybe the waiter/waitresses made an Honest mistake which I don't buy!!

p.s. I usually tip 12% at a restaurant like a Buffet or IHOP or Denny's, 15% to 18% at casual full service restaurant and 20% to 25% at a more full service upscale restaurant

Credits
    Dont know, must be a U.S. thing , I know, they do everything big in Texas, that must be part of it, bigger tips

Seriously, my wife and I go out to eat at least weekly, and have never experienced this anywhere. But then again, I do it differently.
    I pay with a credit or debit card, and leave a tip in cash.

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

Credits
    I understand why you are angry. This is really weird.
    I don't know, this is never happened to me.
    *´¨)
    ¸.~´¸.~*´¨) ¸.~*¨)
    (¸.~´ (¸.~´ `(•.°)~
    My Listology profile

Credits
    Heh lucky I live in a country where minimum wage is enough to get you by, you only tip if it was good service. Or if you are trying to get the waitresses number.

j7wild Guest

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by odj_310388 View Post
    Heh lucky I live in a country where minimum wage is enough to get you by, you only tip if it was good service. Or if you are trying to get the waitresses number.
    what's the minimum wage there?

$7 an hour here is nothing - if it was in the 80s, that would had been something, of course back then it was $3.35 per hour (that's how much I made at my first job)!!

Credits
    Maybe it only happens in Houston. Ive been out to eat plenty of times and I live in New Jersey, and I have never encountered a problem like that. I usually try to tip generally 20% at the very least, waiters and waitresses only make like $3.00 an hour so their main salary comes from tips. As long as the server keeps up with the soda refills im pretty satisfied. One time though I was at a diner and had the most obnoxious waitress, she had the worse attitude and I tried to ask a simple question and got a smart a** response. I was with another friend and the bill was probably like $30-40, but because she was so arrogant I left her a $2 bill that I got from change at a store.

Credits
    I live in New Jersey too and I grew up in Staten Island NY and that never happened to me either. Sounds like your having a bad streak of people trying to take advantage of you buddy. DON'T LET THEM DO IT!!!!!!!!!

"Suddenly I heard a tapping, as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. You heard me rapping, Right?"

j7wild Guest

Thumbs down

guess I just had bad luck!!

I just happen to get the a-hole crooked waiters and waitresses.

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    what's the minimum wage there?

$7 an hour here is nothing - if it was in the 80s, that would had been something, of course back then it was $3.35 per hour (that's how much I made at my first job)!!

Under 18: $6.01
    18-21: $8.13
    22+: $9.76

And those are the legal requirments, most minimum wage jobs give more than that anyway. Last job I worked which was a minimum wage job I got $11.67 a hour. Most places if they offer minimum wage people wont take it so they bump it up a little extra.

j7wild Guest

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by odj_310388 View Post
    Under 18: $6.01
    18-21: $8.13
    22+: $9.76

And those are the legal requirments, most minimum wage jobs give more than that anyway. Last job I worked which was a minimum wage job I got $11.67 a hour. Most places if they offer minimum wage people wont take it so they bump it up a little extra.
    when you say $11.67, you are saying U.S. Dollar? You have converted from GBP to USD already?

yeah most places here will not pay $5.85 for the same reason (before the minimum wage went up); I ever seen McDonald's starting at $7!!

Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by j7wild View Post
    when you say $11.67, you are saying U.S. Dollar? You have converted from GBP to USD already?
    Yea, thought it'd be easier for you to understand. Instead it confused you XD

Credits
    come to germany. here you don't have to tip. you tip if you liked the service.