Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Guns and the UK

Credits

Guns and the UK

before i start into this - i am not trying to start another endless debate about gun control and the pros/cons of such enforcement. please do not turn this into such a debate ... .

a friend of mine sent me this video as he knows i'm trying to relocate to the UK within the next few years. i knew that england banned handguns a few years ago, but i thought it was a ban on hand guns - not rifles. owners could still own rifles with a license - at least that's what i thought. some parts of this video make it seems that ALL firearms were banned - or at least heading in that direction - is that true ?? when did this demonstration happen and did anything happen as a result (other than this video being made) ??

also, the man - Tony Martin - that was jailed for defending his property - what is the law about home defense? it doesn't make sense to me that he gets a murder conviction (though reduced to manslaughter and was released for good behavior in 2003). the few articles i found didnt explain much about the incident other than both men were shot, one made it to a neighbors house and the other was found on the grounds, dead. any info that explains more about this would be appreciated.

as i mentioned - im not looking to debate gun control. im just looking for more information about the gun laws in the UK and anything else about this demonstration as well as Tony Martin.
    "I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone
    but they've always worked for me,"

Hunter S.Thompson

Credits
    As far as I am aware its illegal to own any type of gun, the only time guns are allowed are in firing ranges. That's as far as I am aware though, my knowledge isn't that extensive.

Edit: Quick wikipedia check...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_pol...United_Kingdom

Pretty much you can only own a 'gun' (handgun or rifle) "gun licenses are only issued if a person has legitimate sporting or work-related reasons for owning a gun". Shotguns seem to be under a different ruling, I guess for farmers.

Credits
    My question is "Why would you want to move to the UK"
    The reason for asking: Most people from the UK that I know never want to go back once they have been to NAM, and the ones who do go back, return after a few years because it is hard to make ends meet, unless you marry Madonna !

As for the gun laws, they are probably similar to the Canadian laws, handguns are banned unless you are a collector and can only be used at ranges, transported in the trunk of your car in a case or trigger lock only via the most direct route to your range or gun club. Permit/Hunting License required to purchase ammo of any type. Rifles and shotguns are covered under a different Long Gun rule, where they need to be registered, but can be acquired simply presenting a valid hunting license and wait a mandatory timeframe for approval.
    Restrictions on auto and semi-auto weapons might also apply.
    After all, Canada is part of the confederation

I can't see through walls, but I can kick your ass.

j7wild Guest
    I am not sure but I think UK maybe like Italy....

you can't own a handgun unless you are in Law Enforcement and you can own a hunting rifle or shotgun but you need a permit

that's why the U.S. is so great when it comes to Firearms ownership laws:

I can own a handgun, a rifle, a shotgun, an assault rifle and with the correct license even a full auto machine gun and a grenade launcher!!

Credits
    Ever since the Dunblane Massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_massacre

Gun controls have been tightened and you'll need a legimate reason as to why you should own one. Otherwise it's illegal.

As for defending your property you can only use resonable force. You can't just kill a person because they have entered your property without permission. It's a bit of a grey area, what's deemed as resonable force. How much danger you are in. There are a lot of factors.

A good example of what resonable force is can be found here

http://www.protectingyourself.co.uk/...ble-force.html

Also where are you planning on moving to in the UK?